What's new

New de shaver - Vermont islands

I am new to the de shaving world, hello to all. My goal is to get a better daily shave than I'm currently getting with my current shick 5 blade disposable razor. At the same time cut down on irritation, ingrown hairs, landfill waste and save money.

As of yesterday I am at 2 de shaves here's the run down. Current razor, dollar store assured brand de razor with 20 Astra blades. Shave oil from Christmas 2 years ago. Aerosol can shave gel. No brush. No block or styptic pencil. Aftershave balm from same Christmas 2 years ago.

Am I crazy? Absolutely! The way I figure it whenever we first started hiking, biking, swimming, basketball etc. We didn't have the best boots, helmet, swimwear or shoes when we started. We had to do the best with what we had until we could upgrade. If I can shave without mangling my face with the dollar store razors then I should be able to shave with anything once I upgrade.

Welcome to B&B and congratulations on your new wet shaving journey. You’ll notice a big difference from the get go with a DE razor and single razor blade. Astra is a good blade IMHO. I suggest you get a blade sampler because you might find a blade you like better or works better with your skin. There are numerous YouTube videos to help you improve your technique.
I’d also suggest you get a brush and explore the world of shave creams and or soaps instead of the canned goo.
There are so many soaps and creams both from artesians and the major manufacturers from Europe.
Just enjoy your stay in the rabbit hole!

Most of the "Assured" brand razors from the Dollar Store are just fine, however, the QA/QC proccesses are lacking and occasionally some of them will have aligment issues, namely the head is not perpendicular to the handle.

Fortunately, upgrades to the Yingjili, or Gillette Sterlings, can be had for 10 bucks.

Most people would agree that it is indeed the "prep," rather than the razor and the blade, that really make the difference. So, consider that when you have finished up your can of goo, get a cheap boar brush and some good hard soap. Better, and cheaper than the canned goo, anyway.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. If you like you can keep a Journal or Diary of your improvement in the Journal and Diary Forum. Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum from Australia. If you like you can keep a Journal or Diary of your improvement in the Journal and Diary Forum. Just a thought.

I was about to ask if this was a sub forum but I just found it thank you for the tip

Top Bottom