What's new

New DE shaver, success shaving coarse stubble no rash

Hi! I am 48 and about 6 weeks ago I started DE shaving. I started out with a Merkur 37, and had a sample pack
of blades from Amazon. Every shave I was getting a terrible rash on the neck. Even as I got better at my shaving skills, I was getting bad rash. After trying a few different product and blade combinations, here is what I found that cuts through a coarse / thick stubble with ease.
I bought a vintage Gillette Fatboy, and set it to 7. I am using the Gillette Wilkinson Sword Salon blades only from India. After a hot shower I apply the proraso pre shave cream, the proraso tub soap for the 3 passes.
For the clean up removing the "ghost hairs", I found that using the orange Van Der Hagen Shave Butter and passing over the patches very lightly do the trick.

Now I am getting a BBS every two days with no cuts and no rash/red dots down the neck.

I hope this helps anyone who is having trouble shaving DE because of their thick hairs..

Welcome to B&B, sounds like you're off to a great start and way to experiment when something's not working, you're going to do great!

Top Bottom