What's new

New DE Recommendation

I would suggest giving the Merkur 23c or 20c a go if you want a mild and good all-round DE. I find it easier to use than the 34C - possibly because I like longer handles.

I used open combs for a while, but prefer the solid bar. I'm waiting on deliver of a Game Changer, so no opinion on it yet. People say it's good. Fine Marvel is good, but seems to have trouble getting close going over concave areas, like under the jaw line. Slim is a great choice and red tip Speed. Like those a lot. Jagger 89 and 34C or G are very similar. I'd always suggest getting a Gillette. Can't go wrong. Even the Techs are pretty good. Game Changer might be a happy surprise. Mine's in the mail, was finally able to order one after months of waiting. Good luck.

Like Joncr said The DE89 and the Derby Extra blades provide a good starting point for a mild shave, not too agressive and generally Irritation free shave due to the smoothness of the Derby's as long as you're about a 45 degree angle when shaving. All depends on your skin and stubble type also, I've got tough stubble and sensitive skin and seemed a good enough start in the world of DE shaving.

When you get comfortable with the razor, then maybe change to Feather blade for a near BBS shave when you get used to the angle of the new razor.

I've just made the transition myself from the DE89 recently to the Merkur 39C slant bar, as the next step up for some more agression. Hope all goes well in the search for your new razor.

If want to get a good feel for DE shaving from mild to aggressive without buying lots of razors go with an adjustable. My opinion the best entry level adjustable when first starting is a vintage Gillette Slim. It has everything you would want when starting out and can be had for under $20.

+1. Just used my Slim 30 min ago. Perfect :001_tt1:

I think you made a pretty solid choice. I started with a Weishi just in case I wasn't a fan of DE's and then moved to a 34c. I wish I just went with the 34c in the first place but now I have a decent travel razor which is exactly what Joe Namath suggested. Gillettes of auctions sometimes have to many variables unless you buy it from a B/S/T group.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think about using a Shavette?
I like it. I have a Boker King Cutter for my “Zen me time”. I use the shavette when traveling or need to save some time. The Focus has a good feel, but is REALLY light, so there was a short learning curve with it. I have to use more pressure than my Boker.

The 34c is a terrific razor. I think you'll love it. I second what Mac said about trying a few different blades. When you get a "just right" pairing of razor and blade, the result is Nirvana.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions! I went with the 34c and Astra SP. I now have 5 shaves under my belt, with 2 being 3x pass and am hooked. As I mentioned before, I was afraid I may get addicted to DE as I have with SE and it’s happened. I will now be switching between the two and look forward to trying some of the razors and blades suggested here!

Cheers!

Top Bottom