What's new

New Daily Driver suggestions

I currently use a Merkur 34c as my daily driver. I enjoy a mild razor but with a sharp blade. Can anyone suggest a new razor similar to the Merkur 34c? I'm not too worried about the cost. I have been looking at the Rex Envoy.

I already own the following;
Gillette Heritage
Fatip Grande
Fatip Piccolo
Edwin Jagger DE89
Muhle R89
Merkur 37C
Muhle R41
Fine Marvel

You might also consider the Timeless Bronze. I love mine.
20200320_153302.jpg

A vintage Slim or Super Speed would also be a good move. I assume SE razors are not under consideration, but a vintage Schick Injector makes for a great shave!

The Merkur 34C is my all-time favorite. I have a few razors and I use them all as part of my rotation. I love changing things up a little and every razor is different. But the 34C is officially my go to and daily driver. There are times where I stop rotating razors and use only my 34C for months on end before giving it a "rest". I've not come across any other razor that can replace the 34C as my daily driver. Regardless of what blade I use, I always get a great shave with it. I can't say anything bad about it. I have a brand new one still in its box, just in case I happen to lose the one I currently use. It's the only razor that will need immediate replacing in case I lose or somehow break it.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Some of these suggestions are interesting. It’s like people don’t really pay attention to the question and just start listing their favorite razor. You asked for a razor similar to the Merkur 34c - a non-rigid blade head design - and some of these suggestions, while great razors, couldn’t be more different than the Merkur 34c. Game Changer, Karve, Tradere, Fatip.....nothing like a Merkur 34c. You already have many of the obvious candidates.....Muhle R89, EJ DE89, and the Gillette Heritage. I suggest checking out the Rockwell 6C/6S, as a quality razor offering a modern twist on the 34C style head, with its multi-plate adjustability.

There's plenty fantastic razor's to choose from, these are the ones I would recommend

Rockwell 6S/6C
Razorock GC 0.84
Karve brass C plate
Gillette slim adjustable

Some of these suggestions are interesting. It’s like people don’t really pay attention to the question and just start listing their favorite razor. You asked for a razor similar to the Merkur 34c - a non-rigid blade head design - and some of these suggestions, while great razors, couldn’t be more different than the Merkur 34c. Game Changer, Karve, Tradere, Fatip.....nothing like a Merkur 34c. You already have many of the obvious candidates.....Muhle R89, EJ DE89, and the Gillette Heritage. I suggest checking out the Rockwell 6C/6S, as a quality razor offering a modern twist on the 34C style head, with its multi-plate adjustability.
I agree and strange how nobody has mentioned the Rex Envoy.

Like other said, you can try vintage Gillette razors like - Tech (pre war, post war etc) Slim or the more efficient Super Adjustable.
As for modern, if you like the Fatips that you have you can try their slant open comb and regular slants. Most of us here own the oc version and we like it a lot.
Another good modern option might be the Rockwell 6S or 6C. If you like mild razors with sharp blades, you might like it. Unfortunetly, I sold mine because even on the 6 setting with Feather blades it just wasn't as efficient as I wanted it to be.

I highly recommend my former daily driver the Timeless Titanium 0.68 SB which is now my travel razor.

My current and perhaps destination razor is a Blackland Tradere SB.

Top Bottom