What's new

New D/E User

I just bought a new Merkur HD and have been using it for 1 week now. It is the best shave I have ever had. It was very easy to use right off the bat with no problems. No nick or cuts. The only thing I had to get use to is shaving without applying any pressure whatsoever. Glad I made the change.

Welcome aboard slprl, and congrats on the success!

My first DE was an HD, and it is definitely a great razor that gives great shaves.

-Nick

Congrats slprl in elevating your shaving consciousness. Now that you have a new razor, you'll certainly need a new brush, and some new soap, and cream, and brush holder, and...........

Where's my credit card, I need a fix.

Strangely enough I failed to buy an HD (must have been a moment of low blood sugar?:smile: ), but based on the legions of happy HD users you've made a great shaving choice. Enjoy!

Well, I've been putting off buying an HD. I was very tempted last week when DaveT showed a photo of his Gold HD. Now I read this and I'm ready to grab for the American Express again. I guess I can move a few things around and find room for another razor.

Tony Espo

tonyespo said:
Well, I've been putting off buying an HD. I was very tempted last week when DaveT showed a photo of his Gold HD. Now I read this and I'm ready to grab for the American Express again. I guess I can move a few things around and find room for another razor.

Tony Espo
Right on Tony! That's the spirit that has turn my humble shave shack into a modest shave two story!:blush:

I actually called Charles at QED yesterday with the intention of ordering one. After a long talk about many shaving related items, I ended up not ordering one. I have the classic long-handle, which has the same head, and really enjoy it so Charles didn't think I would be gaining anything by having the HD. I really appreciate Charles' selling style which is very conservative to say the least.

I may yet, in a moment of weakness, have to call Charles back someday just to see if I've been missing anything. Curiosity killed the cat, broke the bank, and filled up the shave shack.:rolleyes:

Jerry

Never owned a Heavy Duty, but then again, I've never heard a complaint from anyone who has ever purchased one either.

Jerry,

That's one of the many reasons that I buy from QED when at all possible. Charles is one of the few retailers that I know of that will actually say to you "You really don't need that, it'd just be a waste of your money." Two big thumbs up on that one.

-Nick

Hey!

I too am a new user though I've been reading along for a short while. I got a DE razor from Gilette as a present. I think it's kinda antique since I don't believe Gilette still makes DEs. It came in a nice steel casing with little boxes for spare blades. Shaved with it once now, and albeit I nicked myself quite a few times I got a really nice shave so I'll be trying to get acquainted with my new little friend :)

Merlino:

Congrats on your new Gillette, they made great razors! As you've probably already found, there's a wealth of information to be had by perusing the older posts.

Do you use a brush? What kind of soap/cream? Let us know a little more about your routine.

Jerry

before the DE, I used:

Proraso Pre/Post
Proraso shaving cream from a tube
pighair brush from Omega
Mach3Turbo

So currently the only thing that's changed is the blade (M3T -> DE). I don't have a nice bowl yet, I just use an old mug with the logo of my university. Still in college actually, so no money to buy expensive stuff like a badgerhair brush (and apart frum the brush I'm very happy with the Proraso products which fortunately don't cost very much since I visit Italy rather frequently, Pre/Post is about $3,00 a jar and the tube of cream is about $1,50).

The funny thing is, I'm going to a party tonight and I wanted to get a shave from a real barber (there's still one here in my hometown in Holland). But having shaved with the DE I find that the hair hasn't grown back nearly as fast as it would've done with M3, so there's really no reason to go to the barber :frown: :wink: Fortunately, that DOES mean that I can get another experience with my new blade before the party tonight!

Welcome, Merlino. You don't have to spend lots of $$ to get a quality shave, as you have discovered. Feel free to join in the discussion!

Hi Folks.
I bought the HD last week. GREAT razor. I had been using a Futur for some time and find the HD 'very forgiving'. I need more passes to achieve the same result as the Futur....but sure....when you are pampering yourself....who cares!

Brian

madmedic said:
Hi Folks.
I bought the HD last week. GREAT razor. I had been using a Futur for some time and find the HD 'very forgiving'. I need more passes to achieve the same result as the Futur....but sure....when you are pampering yourself....who cares!

Brian
Greetings Brian!
Two very interesting and accurate observations. Especially
Brian said:
when you are pampering yourself....who cares.
My exact sentiments. I have established my morning ritual such that there will be no less than four pass. With some minor modifications I could easily reduce it by one pass, but then I would miss out on at least one fourth of the lathering ritual pleasure! Bravo!

Top Bottom