What's new

New current production razor recommendations

As you've probably noticed, I'm giving DE shaving another try lately. I'm now able to get a bbs shave from my EJ DE86, but I'm finding it too rough on my skin.

What is a current production razor that would be a lot easier on my skin, but still be able to get a good shave from. I understand a lot of you will say get a vintage Tech, but I want to still with new razors for now.

Thanks.

Try RazoRock. Either the BBS or the GameChanger .68p.

I have the .68p with the solid bar, open comb and JAWS plates. The solid bar is very mild and smooth.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Maybe some different blades would be good as well. As far as razors, Merkur 34c and 37C are good options, imo.

There's plenty good mild razors for example the Rockwell 6S/C, Razorock GC 0.68, Merkur 34C HD, but always keep in mind to find a blade that works for you which to my opinion is just as important

People here are doing handsprings over the new Fatip Open Comb Slant. I know a slant looks odd, and combining that with comb teeth makes the razor look fearsome, as if a 1950 Buick grille suddenly came to life and was charging you. But by all accounts, including my own, the FOCS, as it's called, is a fine and non-aggressive razor.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Let me just remind everyone that I'm finding an EJ too aggressive. I need something very gentle.

People here are doing handsprings over the new Fatip Open Comb Slant. I know a slant looks odd, and combining that with comb teeth makes the razor look fearsome, as if a 1950 Buick grille suddenly came to life and was charging you. But by all accounts, including my own, the FOCS, as it's called, is a fine and non-aggressive razor.
I love the Fatip Slant, but it has a steep learning curve and IMO can be very aggressive - it's the razor I have to use the lightest touch with save my straight razors. YMMV obviously.

I'd add another vote to RazoRock Game Changer or MJ-90A. The latter is especially is nice and mild.

The Feather AS-D2 was the first double edge razor that I purchased and I found it to be very mild. It's a beautiful razor and is very well built, though on the pricey side. So mild, I ended up selling it and bought a more aggressive razor.

Absolutely don’t fear the FOCS. It is efficient in a way that defies logic to be so easy on the skin.

BC7D3D7B-FE0C-43B9-9312-D9951926684F.jpeg

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Let me just remind everyone that I'm finding an EJ too aggressive. I need something very gentle.
BBS, I don’t know what you’d have to do to cut yourself with it and the blade is firmly clamped. It will go ATG with ease.

What is a current production razor that would be a lot easier on my skin, but still be able to get a good shave from.
It is not the razor that is the problem but your technique. You don't need another razor to deliver a good shave. Try different blades which may give a different experience.
The Astra SP should be giving you a good shave but it is worth trying some of the other St Petersburg blades.
For variation you could try the Weishi 9306 or the Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO. The Fatip Gentile is also worth looking at.

Never look the slant in the eye, and you'll be fine!!..

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
As you've probably noticed, I'm giving DE shaving another try lately. I'm now able to get a bbs shave from my EJ DE86, but I'm finding it too rough on my skin.

What is a current production razor that would be a lot easier on my skin, but still be able to get a good shave from. I understand a lot of you will say get a vintage Tech, but I want to still with new razors for now.

Thanks.
It is not the razor that is the problem but your technique. You don't need another razor to deliver a good shave. Try different blades which may give a different experience.
The Astra SP should be giving you a good shave but it is worth trying some of the other St Petersburg blades.
For variation you could try the Weishi 9306 or the Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO. The Fatip Gentile is also worth looking at.
FWIW I had completely the opposite experience. With my wiry beard, less efficient razors are not able to get me close enough without significant irritation.

I really would consider the Fatip Slant OC @NorthernBoy. Feels like you're barely skimming the skin, and yet it is right up there with my uber aggressive razors in terms of efficiency.

I would certainly try different blades. I recommend Voskhod or Gillette Silver blues for more smoothness.

While many here rant and rave about Fatips, my pick for amazing beginner razor would be the Henson. Very easy shaves and because the blade is so supported there is zero blade chatter.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Feather AS-D2 was the first double edge razor that I purchased and I found it to be very mild. It's a beautiful razor and is very well built, though on the pricey side. So mild, I ended up selling it and bought a more aggressive razor.
I do have a nice AS-D2 I’m prepping to put on the BST soon.

FWIW I had completely the opposite experience. With my wiry beard, less efficient razors are not able to get me close enough without significant irritation.

I really would consider the Fatip Slant OC @NorthernBoy. Feels like you're barely skimming the skin, and yet it is right up there with my uber aggressive razors in terms of efficiency.

Quoted for truth. My mild razors cause more irritation than aggressive ones, because I have to use them more. I didn't know how to solve this problem at first, and didn't want to keep buying razors that I didn't know whether they would work for me, so I bought an adjustable. (Specifically, a Gillette Slim on eBay.) It didn't take long for me to realize that the better shaves were on the more aggressive end of the dial because the hair went away faster. So razors I've bought and used since then have been on the more aggressive side. I had an EJ DE89 once and really didn't like it at all. It irritated my skin much more than other razors I've used.

I still use my Slim regularly, but count me among those who are seriously into the Fatip open comb slant right now. It is almost unsettlingly smooth and quiet, and yet hair just disappears. I've never used anything like it.

And if you don't have a pack of Gillette Silver Blue blades yet, by all means find some and give them a chance. It is very rare to hear from people who can't get a good shave with them. Lots of people get better shaves with other blades, but Silver Blues are relatively low risk.

seriously into the Fatip open comb slant right now. It is almost unsettlingly smooth and quiet, and yet hair just disappears. I've never used anything like it.
Quoted for truth. It truly is more easy on my face than even a Tech but hair disappears quietly and effortlessly.

Top Bottom