What's new

New convert

Second Shave

Had my second shave with the Henson this morning, in the shower with Barbasol as before. Great results on 2-day stubble. I said before I got no auditory feedback- that may be because of the shower noise. Or because the first shave was on short stubble. I’ll have to shave at the sink at some point and I bet I’ll get the hear the blade.

I’ve identified the hard part - the corners of my mouth where I’m trying not to shorten the mustache. The gap between the end of the blade and the end of the razor’s head is different than what I’m used to so I’m leaving more stubble against the margins. I need to adjust to the new dimension and commit to mowing the edge correctly!

You will be able to hear it once you are out of the shower. It is not as loud as other razors, but still there.

I just used my medium Henson, today. I got brave and put a Feather blade in it. The razor mowed through my whiskers as if they weren't even there.

How do y’all keep track of which side of the blade you’ve used, how many times, etc.? Or do you just not worry about it?

I shave half of my face with one side and half of my face with the other side. That makes it easy for me. Others may do something else.

Hi Ottertail and good job on picking the Henson, I love mine! For the question on how to keep track on which side of the blade you're using, for me anyway the answer is I don't. I used Astra blades in my Henson TI22 medium and I just use the things about three times flipping the razor around. As it fills with soap on one side, I flip it to the other and when that side fills, I rinse it. I keep doing this until I'm done, rinse it off, shake it off and set it down on it's head until tomorrow. Again I change blades about every three shaves as they are cheap. I could take them longer (and have), but I find that on the fourth shave when I'm done I have "weepers". When the blades are used three or less I have none.

I was considering marking the cap on one side, but flipping after loading up with soap makes sense. We’ll see how it goes.

Welcome aboard!
It sounds like you already have some nice products and are starting to implement them into your hectic routine.

Congratulations on your sets of twins! You’ll earn each one of those gray hairs but, oh the stories behind them!

I also ordered a batch of Feather blades to try after I finish the Astras that came with the razor. Don’t want to change anything yet. I plan on trying the brush and a soap this weekend since things will be a little more calm.

Reactions: GNR
I shaved with the Mach 3 yesterday so this morning I had 1 days growth. I didn’t want to overwhelm the Henson with the full week’s stubble and didn’t have time to play with the brush and soaps this morning.

Congrats on jumping down the DE shaving rabbit hole! There are many of us down here. You won't be able to overwhelm the razor easily. I had a shave myself this evening, with roughly 24 days worth of stubble (or is it a mini-beard by that point?). Yes, I'd been lazy during the holidays. The razor mowed down the stubble without any issues. These things don't clog easily.

Congrats on jumping down the DE shaving rabbit hole! There are many of us down here. You won't be able to overwhelm the razor easily. I had a shave myself this evening, with roughly 24 days worth of stubble (or is it a mini-beard by that point?). Yes, I'd been lazy during the holidays. The razor mowed down the stubble without any issues. These things don't clog easily.

Glad to know, I’m still learning. It handled 5 days just fine.

Fourth Shave

This one was 6 days growth. Just got home from drilling cores, no need to shave for that! I had limited time to get a shower before going to pick up kids from dance, so I grabbed the Henson and hopped in the shower. Forgot to shake the can of Barbasol and got a pretty lackluster palm full of white stuff. Well, this is still the “testing and learning” phase. I rolled with it. Shaving WTG definitely cut hair, but left a lot too. ATG did great. I chased ATG, had lots of “go backs” and the chin and lower lip area is still challenging. I’m not sure this was BBS, but it’s awfully close. It doesn’t seem to matter how many passes I make, this razor never irritates me. Toweled off after the shower and splashed on some Aqua Velva.

WOW!! That stings like hell!! But it’s not what you think. Remember I’d been core drilling? That means wet hands all day, and threaded pipes. Which means pipe wrenches. Which means steel splinters. Both hands have a number of small lacerations and the Aqua Velva lit me up. So much so I didn’t notice any feedback on my face. But my lacerations are now sterilized.

Whew. Great razor, great shave. My pack of Feather blades arrived in yesterday’s mail, but I want to “finish” this Astra before switching.

Top Bottom