What's new

New contest for a new item!

11445_026_Tif.jpg

That's right, step right up!

This is our newest offering for you just in time for the holidays. We expect the matching soap, cream, and balm to be out by the end of October. It fills a need in our store for a classic mens scent with menthol. For more info check it out HERE.

This is CONUS only please and the winners will be selected randomly by random.org. Winners? As in winners plural? YES! There will be three winners selected so that you will have an even better chance of winning. Since the winners will be receiving a free bottle of our menthol aftershave - oh so appropriately named Nor'easter - we wanted to have an appropriate question! To enter you simply answer the question:

Tell about a time you were cold.

That's it! The contest will run a few days or so at which time the winners will be selected. Thank you for entering and good luck to each of you!

~ The Captain

The coldest I ever was happened when I went igloo camping as a scout in Utah. I didn’t have snow pants and just wore jeans and knit gloves. I also didn’t have proper waterproof boots. Beyond the lack of appropriate gear, the snow was so dry that most boys’ igloos collapsed on them during the day. We ended up building a giant igloo for the entire troop, then forming a bucket brigade to the river so we could cover the igloo with water allowing it to ice over and stay up. That was the most miserably cold time I can recall.

Oh goodness, the name says it all. Coldest I’ve ever been was delivering the morning paper in high school. Temps were just below zero in Eastern PA and I was stumbling through snow covered yards flinging papers onto doorsteps before dawn. I remember finishing my route and running my hands under progressively warmer water to regain feeling in my fingers.

I hope this doesn’t cause flashbacks!

Cool PIF, literally. Not in, as I don't use aftershave. I might try it again one of these days, but haven't in years.

The coldest I have been was when my wife and I had little ones and were broke. The 76 Volarie decided it didn't want to start, in my middle of February, in Upstate NY. I replaced the started in sub-zero (Fahrenheit) weather. I thought my fingers were going to freeze off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It was 2° on my kids' first time in NYC. We had a few blocks to walk to the subway. It was so cold it felt like my fingers would break off after just a few seconds without gloves so I could navigate to the nearest subway station. And a guy yelled at me for having my kids outside on a record cold day. I've been out in -30° in a dry climate but that day in New York was worse by far.

Thanks, Captain!

I live in the upper mid-west a stones throw from our neighbor to the north. In November it gets cold and by January it is a deep freeze with temps that can get upwards of -40F( I have even seen close to -50F) at times. I am cold from November to April!

Thanks.

I live in the northern Midwest so I'm cold every year. Shoveling snow when it's -30 is always fun.

One time I felt particularly cold was camping in northern Minnesota in November. Even swathed in fleece and with a zero degree sleeping bag cinched over my head so only my mouth was open to air, I was cold. My 5 gallon water jug was frozen solid the next morning. Frost covered everything (pictured). It was only 18 deg. overnight, but it felt cold.

Attachments

• 2012-10-12 08.48.47.jpg
    2012-10-12 08.48.47.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
I was in Orgun-E Afghanistan 2010 working contract for the DoD. The snow was coming down pretty good that Febuary. We were 6K+ feet above sea level. Thin, crisp air. The LKET dish was on a scaffolding that was probably used for holding a water tank when the Russians were there. We were switching satty's and our Polarity was 90* off. So I had to play Super Mario to get to the tin roof of the compound's main building to jump to the scaffold. It was 0200L on a black out FOB. I either shimmied up there, or lost all comms for the post. I like living so I shimmied up there jumping on HESCOs to the roof hoping I wouldn't slip on any ice. Lucky the snow was fresh. It made that crunch sound when I stepped on it. I'm from the deep South. Snow crunching always fascinates me. The roof was a bit slick, but I made the jump to the scaffold. I stood next to the dish a bit to warm up. The snow cover was filled with hot air from a heater. It was nice. After I warmed up I made my adjustment and saved the day... again.

So, as always, I'm good at getting up to no good, but coming back down is where my lack of grace always gets me into real pain. I jumped from the scaffold to the tin roof. I must have hit an iced area. I slipped and skidded down the roof all the way to the other side of the main building riding my butt. I would have kept going if I wasn't clothes lined by some strung up LAN cabling. I laid there for a second just to make sure nothing serious had happened to my dumb butt. As soon as I made sure I was good to go I shuffled back over to the other side of the roof and proceeded to Super Mario down back to the Earth.

PS:
I'm out. I'm not CONUS.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When am I not cold in Michigan in the winter, lol? Here is a memory of a time that I WASN'T cold, because of my dad. Our fuel oil line to the furnace froze, and this was back before the oil embargo forced us to burn wood, ha. Dad woke me up and stuck me in his bed with my little brother too share our body heat while he took hours freezing outside to thaw the line out. Dads are awesome.
Hope this counts as a proper post to be entered, Cap!

Some Videos of Orgun-E;
This happened soon after I left, but events like this usually happened on Wednesdays.
This is some troops filming themselves flying from Sharana to FOB Orgun-E
I had the privilege of flying PAWs with Ukraine contractors. AKA old HINE pilots from the 80s. Vodka was always in their tumbler. Good times. at the 5:54 mark you can see my LKET on the scaffold behind the troops boarding up. At 8:54 was the wall. All those black plaques in the back were soldiers that had past. Contractors didn't get their names up there. 8:59 was the Engineers headquarters. I helped a Virginia ANG until with that Ku dish so they could get some AFN. 9:04 Hard Rocket Cafe was as good as it got. It wasn't good.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You're as cold as ice
You're willing to sacrifice our love
You never take advice
Someday you'll pay the price, I know…

I worked in the oil patch in Alberta where it would get to -40F and could stay that way for weeks at a time. It was a dry cold but you didn’t dare shut your vehicle off without plugging in your oil heater. You always had to be on the lookout for frost bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in thanks.
The coldest has to be shoveling snow in the winter in Cincinnati. Yes it gets cold here and hot!! I always say this area is one of the only places were it can get below zero and above 100!!!

Riding a motorcycle in the rain from Baltimore to Boston.
Temperatures in the 20s.
Parts of the upper torso were blue...no kidding, blue.
Some frostbite on the hands.
Was not fun.......

Used to live on an island in the Far East. Went for a nice snowboard after a hike in the mountains, ended up stuck in deep deep snow at a fence blocking my path. took me many cold & wet hrs to push sled myself to an open area. exhausting and had a lot of time for “introspection” on the decisions i make.

Some Videos of Orgun-E;
This happened soon after I left, but events like this usually happened on Wednesdays.
This is some troops filming themselves flying from Sharana to FOB Orgun-E
I had the privilege of flying PAWs with Ukraine contractors. AKA old HINE pilots from the 80s. Vodka was always in their tumbler. Good times. at the 5:54 mark you can see my LKET on the scaffold behind the troops boarding up. At 8:54 was the wall. All those black plaques in the back were soldiers that had past. Contractors didn't get their names up there. 8:59 was the Engineers headquarters. I helped a Virginia ANG until with that Ku dish so they could get some AFN. 9:04 Hard Rocket Cafe was as good as it got. It wasn't good.
There are times I miss being in the military. This is not one of those times...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for this! Really hope I'm one of the lucky winners!

The coldest I had ever been involved my previous job as an operator at a nuclear plant in PA. Our refueling outages used to typically begin in early March, which in PA can mean anything from semi-spring-like weather all the way to blizzard conditions.
When the plant would be shut down, we would still need our circulating water in service. For those who aren't familiar with power plant operations, the cooling towers cool the circulating water (via evaporation), and the cooled circulating water is then pumped through the tube sides of the condensers which is where steam from the generator is cooled and sent back to the reactor. The hot circ water is sent back to the cooling tower where the cycle starts again.
So, with the plant shut down in the middle of freezing temperatures, the circ water going back to the cooling towers is much cooler than normal, and freezing, windy conditions by the towers means it can freeze in minutes.
We had a valving configuration at the towers where the returning circ water goes directly to the basin of the tower, bypassing the evaporative cooling. In order for it to work properly and not damage any pumps or accidentally begin to overflow and lead to freezing, someone has to be sent up to the top of the basin to check/monitor levels. Well, when you're a junior guy, guess who gets that job lol.
Wearing thermal underwear, full work clothes, Carharrt coveralls AND a heavy Carhartt coat, and all other manner of cold-weather gear did absolutely NOTHING on an already below freezing night, climbing the basin of a cooling tower against 30 mph winds and a -20 degree wind chill for a 12-hour shift!

Top Bottom