What's new

New Colt is now Available

1571052456182.png

Thought this was gonna take a while to hit the streets, but I guess not. $999.00 MSRP
says I won't be getting one anytime soon. Now where is that Python??

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
View attachment 1025850
Thought this was gonna take a while to hit the streets, but I guess not. $999.00 MSRP

Hey Tim

As part of the B&B Team you are required to buy one of those for your favorite Moderator. I think I have always been your favorite. :ouch1: :ouch1:

You people do realize I hope that these new Colt DA revolvers do not have the painstakingly fitted actions that the old ones had, right? Colt has made several changes internally.

Yep. MIM cast for the most part. Good thing here is you can actually shoot them generously and not worry if something inside breaks

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
BTW, great review on the Sig, Smith, and Glocks, Tim. Now you need to compare the new Cobra and the King Cobra...when you get time.

You people do realize I hope that these new Colt DA revolvers do not have the painstakingly fitted actions that the old ones had, right? Colt has made several changes internally.

One word:

Last edited:
I shoot my older Colts generously without worry about parts breaking.

The old King Cobras, and several other DA models, didn't have painstakingly fitted actions. They are some of the stoutest made, though.

Frank Glenn ain't getting any younger. What is he now, 80 or better? As well, the Kunhausen book might as well be "How to Build Your Own Jet!" for 99% of gun owners as the old Colt DA system with the two prong pawl (hand) is a SOB to fit, not unlike watchmaking. Also, there are zero new factory hands available anywhere and no one is making these old parts as there is little market for them as that market for these guns is quite frankly the aged & the dying. As much as I love SA Colts I realize & accept that their time has come & gone.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Frank Glenn ain't getting any younger. What is he now, 80 or better?

Yes, Frank is getting up there. But he's not the only 'smith.

As well, the Kunhausen book might as well be "How to Build Your Own Jet!" for 99% of gun owners as the old Colt DA system with the two prong pawl (hand) is a SOB to fit, not unlike watchmaking.

Yup, the old Colt's are not like the tinker toy combat tupperware now where you just drop in a part after watching youtube.

Also, there are zero new factory hands available anywhere and no one is making these old parts as there is little market for them as that market for these guns is quite frankly the aged & the dying. As much as I love SA Colts I realize & accept that their time has come & gone.

I wouldn't exactly say there are zero hand parts, or other parts, available.

as that market for these guns is quite frankly the aged & the dying.

Hey! I resemble that. :biggrin1:

Those "Colt" hands are nefariously labeled as they also say "reproduction". As well, they have to be fitted by someone who knows what they're doing and at C&S unless Bill himself does it (which I don't think he does anymore) then I would pass. Someone showed one of their "full house" Python action jobs on the Colt Forum years ago and it was not worth it. Also, Grant Cunningham has retired.

Don't know how an Ace Hardware store in Blue Ridge GA (hardly a metropolis) does it but they get firearms in stock quick as lightning. Today a Target King Cobra appeared in the case. Breathtaking.
So was the price. Almost $300 over MSRP.
I was tempted though......but not that much. Out of state pistol sales are a PIA

View attachment 1025850

I read an article in a gun magazine several years ago that claimed that the tooling used to make the Python had worn out and had been scrapped. That and the fact that all of the workers that did the hand fitting and finishing on the Python had retired were cited as the main reasons that the Python was never coming back into production.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Colt slapped the Python name on a new revolver design at some point.

Top Bottom