What's new

New Carter Hall

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I threw a tub of the new Carter Hall in with a Smoking Pipes order awhile back...the tub says made in the Dominican Republic. I popped it open recently and I don't really notice much, if any, difference in the new stuff compared to the Middleton made. Anyone else tried the new stuff yet?

Also, when Dunhill announced they were discontinuing Royal Yacht I bought two sleeves of it. I was poking around in the tinned tobacco section of SP the other day and saw where Peterson had picked it up. Supposed to be the same as the Dunhill blend. Anyone tried the Peterson blend?

I have some of both of the Royal Yachts. I haven't done a comparison yet. Although I know there will be some differences due to age, crops, etc. I expect they will be close though.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Also, when Dunhill announced they were discontinuing Royal Yacht I bought two sleeves of it. I was poking around in the tinned tobacco section of SP the other day and saw where Peterson had picked it up. Supposed to be the same as the Dunhill blend. Anyone tried the Peterson blend?

Same recipe and manufacturering plant. Only thing that has changed is the Peterson name. There will be variation due to crop changes.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I threw a tub of the new Carter Hall in with a Smoking Pipes order awhile back...the tub says made in the Dominican Republic. I popped it open recently and I don't really notice much, if any, difference in the new stuff compared to the Middleton made. Anyone else tried the new stuff yet?

With Middleton and Lane moving production to DR I doubt there will be any change in their blends. I expect they moved their operations for lower cost of production - taxes and labor perhaps. I could be wrong of course - my wife will always support that assumption - that I could be wrong that is.

With Middleton and Lane moving production to DR I doubt there will be any change in their blends. I expect they moved their operations for lower cost of production - taxes and labor perhaps. I could be wrong of course - my wife will always support that assumption - that I could be wrong that is.
I keep imagining that Carter Hall will suddenly taste and smell more like a cheap cigar than a pipe tobacco. Probably unfounded.

Probably.

That’s what I expected. Thanks.
Ok. Maybe I should have qualified that a touch. The taste *feels* the same. I have only had a couple pouches before this tub, and finished my last pouch around when it first disappeared. This is my first tub, as well as I am a little better at smoking now than I was. It's possible there were nuances from American CH that I never knew about and subsequently don't miss.

That said, it's Carter Hall in my book.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok. Maybe I should have qualified that a touch. The taste *feels* the same. I have only had a couple pouches before this tub, and finished my last pouch around when it first disappeared. This is my first tub, as well as I am a little better at smoking now than I was. It's possible there were nuances from American CH that I never knew about and subsequently don't miss.

That said, it's Carter Hall in my book.
I really doubt they changed a thing other than labor. PA and CH have huge followings not to be tampered with. Also, wouldn’t they have a lot of tobacco being cased for years they are still using?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Same here with CH. New tub from DR and find no difference as is the case with PA.

Top Bottom