What's new

New car? Low mileage used car?

I would not be adverse to buying a new or near new car. My Scion is getting tired. Not sure anyone is making what I want, though. I'd like something small, the size of a Honda Fit. However, I want a higher seat height. Bad back; I can't deal with low slung car seats. The Buick Encore/Chevy Trax might be an option, although those are a tad larger than I need. Ideas?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have not been shopping and could be totally wrong, but I would not be surprised to hear that you don't find comfortable bad back seating in cars of that size.

Larger is better. I have an Acura RDX (upbadged CRV). It feels like the right size but you don't have to fall out of it like my Explorer. All Japanese manufacturers make a similar model.
I buy used because I have my own free mechanic.

I have not been shopping and could be totally wrong, but I would not be surprised to hear that you don't find comfortable bad back seating in cars of that size.

The Scions actually sit up okay. But Toyota stopped building them.

My better half drives an Acura TL; that is like sitting in a bucket. Hard to get out of, too!

Look for something around 3 years old. That's when alot of warranties expire, and when leasing companies typically trade in their vehicles. But the vehicles don't have that many miles on them, and they're alot cheaper than brand new. I bought a cargo van that way, and it has worked out great.

I used to buy new , but things have changed...Today you can find a 2 year old car ( NOT a former daily rental , stay away from those ) with 15 to 20k on the speedo , still under full factory warranty at a discount of 15 to 20 grand cheaper than new....

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Consumers report is a great asset for looking for a reasonable vehicle.

Also us news and world reports does good car reviews, also tells generations of the model, so you know when the style changed or if any features etc.. are different. If you don’t need brand new, I went with a 2015, 30k, and still same body style as new, for 1/2 the 2018 model.

We have a Honda Fit and a Honda CRV, both bought with just under 100,000 km on them.
The CRV seat is somewhat higher than the Fit, but might be bigger than what you are looking for.

Purpose?

I can put up with just about anything around town (store, bank, P.O. etc.). Under 20 minutes is easy. These are typically my "land rockets". Uncomfortable but fun.

Long distances and I want a rolling couch.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Recently, while on vacation, i rented a Nissan Murano. I have DDD and lower back issues and I gotta tell you, those were probably the most comfortable seats I've ever set my body in. 4 hr drive one way to destination and no problem. At all. Really nice. Not sure if it makes a difference but we had the Platinum model.

I know the Murano is probably bigger than what you're looking for, but those seats were impressive. Maybe Nissan offers similar seating in smaller models?

I would not be adverse to buying a new or near new car. My Scion is getting tired. Not sure anyone is making what I want, though. I'd like something small, the size of a Honda Fit. However, I want a higher seat height. Bad back; I can't deal with low slung car seats. The Buick Encore/Chevy Trax might be an option, although those are a tad larger than I need. Ideas?
A Kia Soul has a reasonable seat height and it is a good riding car for it's size. I have a terrible problem with my back and am six feet, four inches.

I just bought a used 2012 Cruze and was surprised by just how comfortable it is to drive. If height is your main concern, than the Cruze might not fit the bill, but the interiors on the Equinox and Trax are pretty much the same. I found the Cruze far more comfortable to sit in than the Honda, Kia, and Toyota models in that same time frame. I haven't really looked at anything newer than 2015, though.

Dunno about the seats, you'll have to try them for yourself, but the Buick Regal Turbo is not gigantic but not tiny, has 259 hp in its turbocharged 4, is nimble and rather BMW 3-series-like for a front-wheel-drive car, can give you 80% of the German sport sedan experience for 50% of the price, and is reliable and solid. Good gas mileage, too. I have its less ferocious older brother, the 2011 non-turbo, and even with 180 hp it's great to drive.

Top Bottom