What's new

New Car, knocks me out, literaly

So I got a new car last Friday. 2013 Mazda Cx9 Touring, 16k miles, good deal on the price Here's a pic of it the next day in MN roads at -15 or so.

$IMG_0471.jpg

So Monday morning I'm taking the car to work with the wife, open the rear hatch to throw my bag in and the hatch comes crashing down on my head, giving me a nice little gash on my head which causes me to bleed all over the place. Thankfully not on the car, mostly in my stocking hat and on my cold weather carhartt jacket (blood just adds character to that one) Wife patches me up inside and I head back to work with a nice little headache.

$1545954_10202862432912188_617990937_n.jpg
A few hours later I start getting nausea, feel really sleepy, and can't think straight. I remember trying to talk to one of my staff and literally having to place words in my head to continue the conversation. It was rather surreal. After some discussion with my wife I agree to go to the ER and am told I have a mild concussion!
Amazing, after years of wrestling, mountain bike racing, and a stint as a security guard at a psychiatric hospital, I get my first concussion from my 3 day old SUV. :blush:

I sometimes close down the back of my van before I get my head out of the way, has put me on my bum a couple times.
Too stupid and too rushed.

Wonder if it was the cold weather that did it? I have had a Citroen Xsara Picasso for several years now and have noticed that the supports for the rear hatch seem to go very weak when the temperatures drop. They are fine in warmer weather but I have to be careful when it's cold, especially as I am bald and it hurts!

Gareth

Yea my old protege would do that to me from time to time, especailly as it got older and if it was really cold.

The hatch on this one probably weighs 3x what the protege does, plus it was the latch mechanism that hit me. Not fun, still have a bit of a headache but things are getting better.

On the plus side the heated leather seats and the fact that it will go over 50 mph is a plus compared to my old car that is currently awaiting a donation pick up.

Ooohh looks painful.

My hatchback has given me a noggin' floggin' a few times, but not to the extent of an ER visit.

Hope the headache stops soon :001_smile

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wonder if it was the cold weather that did it? I have had a Citroen Xsara Picasso for several years now and have noticed that the supports for the rear hatch seem to go very weak when the temperatures drop. They are fine in warmer weather but I have to be careful when it's cold, especially as I am bald and it hurts!

Gareth
Most likely. The gas in the struts compresses as it gets cold.

I know how dangerous these things are.

Whilst out shopping one day with the bike carrier on the back of the car, the better half was placing it in the boot when the lid came down on the back of her neck. I thought I'd crippled her but no just a week in a neck brace for her. So the moral is beware the boot lid.

You'll notice on my avatar pic summat similar which was achieved by walking into a tree branch whilst out geocaching. Having ducked under the offending branch twice, third time was the charm and as I turned THUMP.

Top Bottom