What's new

New C&E Brush feels scratchy

Yesterday I got an Edwin Jagger Best Badger shave brush from C&E. The one they sell for $35. I felt it was too scratchy on my face. Some of the hairs were soft against my face but others were harder and prickly. Not a comfortable feeling. I also have an Omega silvertip which was luxuriously soft and comfortable right out of the box. Will the C&E brush soften with use? Or is this just the difference between best and silvertip?

Thanks
Ken

"best" is far from a universal term. However, that is just the way that C&E brush is. It won't soften up. Personally, I love that brush, but YMMV.

Ken:

When you're used to the softness of a super or silverip brush, the best will definately feel scritchy!! That brush is part of my rotation and I while I enjoy it from time to time, I prefer the super and silvertip.

The "scritchy" feeling is what I like about it. And I use it a lot! Maybe I have gotten used to it, but I do believe that it has softened up just a bit.

Randy

I just got the same C&E brush about two weeks ago and I feel much like Ken about the scritchiness [is that a word?] of the brush. But then, I have come accustomed to my ShaveMac Silvertip which is not even in the same ballpark.

I know it is a great brush because so many shavers here highly recommend it, so I plan on adding it to my brush rotation and adjusting my face to the scritchiness. One thing I really like about it is its relatively small size compared to my 23mm ShaveMac 22579. I kind of like the precision of a smaller size brush.

Kennyrosen said:
Yesterday I got an Edwin Jagger Best Badger shave brush from C&E. The one they sell for $35. I felt it was too scratchy on my face. Some of the hairs were soft against my face but others were harder and prickly. Not a comfortable feeling. I also have an Omega silvertip which was luxuriously soft and comfortable right out of the box. Will the C&E brush soften with use? Or is this just the difference between best and silvertip?

Thanks
Ken

Ken,
It will soften over time... in fact ALL brushes will. Try this - give it a good shampoo, rinse it out, then use a conditioner on it (what you use for your hair) letit sit for 5 minutes or so, then wash it out, then try the brush again... you've got my word it'll soften it up considerably, and it'll hold water like the dickens.

I've got some bad news for ya though.... a $500+ Plisson "High Mountain White" Doesn't feel a whole lot less "scritchy", so for 15X less, you've got yourself a steal :wink:

joel said:
Ken,
It will soften over time... in fact ALL brushes will. Try this - give it a good shampoo, rinse it out, then use a conditioner on it (what you use for your hair) letit sit for 5 minutes or so, then wash it out, then try the brush again... you've got my word it'll soften it up considerably, and it'll hold water like the dickens.

I've got some bad news for ya though.... a $500+ Plisson "High Mountain White" Doesn't feel a whole lot less "scritchy", so for 15X less, you've got yourself a steal :wink:

Great idea, I will give it a try!

D

Deleted member 477

I had mine for over a year and it never lost that scratchy feeling. I gave up on it and bought a C&E super badger---- and i love it.

Top Bottom