What's new

New Brush

Hey all,

So I think I'm going to be investing in a new brush soon. I'm currently using a C&E Best Badger and am looking to get another brush that is larger and am looking to spend about a hundred dollars. Currently I'm between a shavemac (the handles are very nice) and a Man-U synthetic.

Anyway I'm hoping you guys can offer me some advice. I sort of like a short handle and if it looks really nice thats a bonus. However, I'm more concerned with a the quality of the brush. I'd like something larger than my best badger and I guess I'd like it soft (obviously holds water well, etc). I'm very unfamiliar with brush choices so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

John

jbasl said:
Hey all,

So I think I'm going to be investing in a new brush soon. I'm currently using a C&E Best Badger and am looking to get another brush that is larger and am looking to spend about a hundred dollars. Currently I'm between a shavemac (the handles are very nice) and a Man-U synthetic.

Anyway I'm hoping you guys can offer me some advice. I sort of like a short handle and if it looks really nice thats a bonus. However, I'm more concerned with a the quality of the brush. I'd like something larger than my best badger and I guess I'd like it soft (obviously holds water well, etc). I'm very unfamiliar with brush choices so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

John

Rumor has it that if you email Charles at QED, he'll be more than happy to help you figure out which brush would fit you best... he might even steer you to one that you'll be happy with AND will be under your budget!

Hello John,

A couple of brushes could fit your choice; of course there are the Shavemacs you mentioned; the 3... series of Savile Row are also a perfect choice; Vulfix is a third possibility and finally the Rooneys Super or silvertip.

As you see, there are indeed multiple brushes that would fit your requirements; SM, SR, Vulfix and Rooney all offer several short handled brushes of good to excellent quality in the $100,- range; maybe a few dollars more or less, but anyway several candidates....

Your brush choice is a very personal one; imo there's no such thing as "the ultimate brush"; that's to say, not generally speaking, but there could be something as the ultimate brush for an individual of course...

Of the mentioned brush brands the Rooney supers are by far the most soft ones, the Shavemacs/Savile Rows are lesser soft although by no means prickly and have more resiliency in the bristle shafts; the Vulfix are the most flexible and altogether soft.

The most attractive handle (personal!!) imo has the Rooney style 1: a rather short and classic looking handle; the Vulix #41 is also soft but a little less classy looking...as for the SM SR brushes: these are more or less contemporary looking compared to the Rooney style 1 f.i.

Good luck with your quest!

Peter

Hi John,
I've used all of the brushes mentioned here but the Rooney, which will be my next purchase. I am vacillating between the super style 1 in small or medium but that's a whole different thread. I recently had a shedding problem with a shavemac brush that Bernd went out of his way to fix. I was so impressed I ordered another brush from him. Really can't say enough about the guy, my vote goes to shavemac. I would be surprised if you were not happy with any of these brushes though. At this point we are pretty much talking about personal prefernce.
Good luck,
Jeff

Thanks for all the help guys. Keep the advice coming. I'm going to send an email to Charles and see what he says.

Just to further confuse, i'll throw another maker into the mix. I've ordered two Omega silvertip brushes from Em's place. I may just keep one of the two and i'll post when they arrive.

ada8356 said:
Rumor has it that if you email Charles at QED, he'll be more than happy to help you figure out which brush would fit you best... he might even steer you to one that you'll be happy with AND will be under your budget!

I can also recommend this...I ended up with an SR3124, and I couldn't be happier! :biggrin: :cool: :biggrin:

jbasl said:
Hey all,

Currently I'm between a shavemac (the handles are very nice) and a Man-U synthetic.

I'd like something larger than my best badger and I guess I'd like it soft (obviously holds water well, etc).
John

I have no experience with either of these brushes but if you are looking for a brush that holds water the synthetic is not for you. From what I've read it does not actually hold any water despite its softness. I also do not think it is a very large brush.

Hmm Joel had said that the synthetic lathers like a pro and feels great. I've sent an email to Charles and am waiting for a response. I guess if the synthetic is any smaller than my C&E best then I'd rather something else.

Just to throw another player into the ring...

I just got a Superior brush and it is AWESOME!!!
I would highly recommend it and it's right at a $100.

-Sean

sparacing said:
Just to throw another player into the ring...

I just got a Superior brush and it is AWESOME!!!
I would highly recommend it and it's right at a $100.

-Sean

No arguments with this!

Randy

Why not take a peek at www.muehle-pinsel.com They have loads of nice, well priced brushes. I have and use their handmade super-badger - Nice

I don't have any of their stuff, but, I have to go along with Chagidiel, the items offered by Muehle-Pinsel are worth a look. Very impressive website.

I've tried every major brand but Plisson, and I recommend one of Charles' Savile Row silvertips. You will never need another brush (which is not to say you won't want many more).

John

Does anyone know the knot size of a C&E Best? I know I want a bigger brush but I don't know what size the brush I have is...making it difficult to tell.

jbasl said:
Does anyone know the knot size of a C&E Best? I know I want a bigger brush but I don't know what size the brush I have is...making it difficult to tell.
I have never seen C&E advertise the knot size, but here is the brush next to a 25mm knot SR208 (unbloomed).
full
Left to Right
  • Ed. Jagger for C&E Best Badger
  • Savile Row SR 208 Super Badger (25mm)
  • Ed. Jagger for C&E Super Badger
  • Vulfix #41 (26mm)

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been talking to Charles and looking around. I've been convinced to spend over my budget slightly. I want something with at least a 26mm knot. I'm between one of Charles' SRs and a Shavemac handmade XL with 28mm knot. I'd be happy to hear further recommendations (the price range being now about 135). Charles's brush is the more expensive of the two with a 26mm knot size.

Top Bottom