What's new

New brush wash

My Manchuria M-4 Oumo brush with Hallucination chubby handle arrived yesterday. Its really beefy. If it performs like it looks and feels I want another!!!
Took about a month from order to arrival.
So how should I wash this before using? A rinse, soap, or maybe a quick dip in something else?

1684594071041.png

1684594216246.png

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Unless it smells bad, which in my experience most badger brushes do not, then I would just use it. If it has an unpleasant smell, or if you are one of those cleanliness obsessives, then give it a test lather first. Enjoy your new brush 👍

My Manchuria M-4 Oumo brush with Hallucination chubby handle arrived yesterday. Its really beefy. If it performs like it looks and feels I want another!!!
Took about a month from order to arrival.
So how should I wash this before using? A rinse, soap, or maybe a quick dip in something else?

View attachment 1657374
View attachment 1657375
You can soak them in a weak OxyClean and water solution if they stink. You'll usually notice that the water is visibly dirty when you're done. Rinse it out thoroughly, then test lather it and rinse again.

Nice looking brush!

How about a gentle "no tears" baby shampoo like Johnson's . Yaqi recommended a gentle shampoo for their synthetic brushes before first use, so that is what I do to wash off any production and shipping debris. After first use, I rely on the shaving soaps to take care of the washing after each shave as part of the normal cleanup routine. Now I use it for what is left of my own head of hair.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 8.30.42 AM.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I wash every new brush with hair shampoo regardless if they are synthetic or natural hair. Who know how they are cleaned prior?
Synthetic brushes are the least to worry about if they are made by good brand names who have procedures in their factory's for QC when making knots.

I know Brad Sears always recommends shampoo (like Johnson’s Baby Shampoo).

Vinegar and Borax work well too.

However if you get a stinky knot Ethos Grooming makes a product called Restore. I had a brush I had to get rid of a terrible soap smell in. It worked, when diluted vinegar and all the other methods didn’t.

I know Brad Sears always recommends shampoo (like Johnson’s Baby Shampoo).

Vinegar and Borax work well too.

However if you get a stinky knot Ethos Grooming makes a product called Restore. I had a brush I had to get rid of a terrible soap smell in. It worked, when diluted vinegar and all the other methods didn’t.
This comment made me feel better about the B and B contributer brush I just got. I used the PAA Brush cleaner, which is Borax and White Vinegar (I have before to clean brushes, also shampoo as well ) which I find easy to use. I did the recommendation that is posted thru the company site and on the box for brush odor.

I did really did not detect a strong odor from the B and B contributor brush but still figured I could do it (shoud not hurt) and was like fingers crossed it didn't mess anything up and was super careful to only and I mean only get the the knot, nothing, I mean nothing was left on the handle, wiped all that off. I'll rinse it tonight and that should do it as I plan on using the brush tomorrow.

I wanted to ask what people do so I am glad @JoeScho started this thread.

This comment made me feel better about the B and B contributer brush I just got. I used the PAA Brush cleaner, which is Borax and White Vinegar (I have before to clean brushes, also shampoo as well ) which I find easy to use. I did the recommendation that is posted thru the company site and on the box for brush odor.

I did really did not detect a strong odor from the B and B contributor brush but still figured I could do it (shoud not hurt) and was like fingers crossed it didn't mess anything up and was super careful to only and I mean only get the the knot, nothing, I mean nothing was left on the handle, wiped all that off. I'll rinse it tonight and that should do it as I plan on using the brush tomorrow.

I wanted to ask what people do so I am glad @JoeScho started this thread.
I know the PAA bar of brush soap. Works well, have used same ingredients on many brushes. You shouldn’t hurt the resin, and you should rinse the brush well as you are.

Zingari Man brush cleaner is the one I would try. Declaration Gooming also has brush cleaning instruction on their web page. I have never cleaned a brush. Not sure I have trust in PAA to trust it with an expensive brush.

I would rinse in warm water and use. So long as not smelly or oily.

I always use shampoo and conditioner before using the brush and for standard cleaning and maintenance. Just squirt some onto the tips, lather it up into your hand and make sure it really gets into all the fibres and down into the knot. Rinse and repeat with conditioner. If it smells really bad, I might soak it for 10ish minutes in some white vinegar diluted with water. After rinsing it out and leaving it to dry...the vinegar smell dissipates alongside the natural brush odour. (Coincidentally, this pretty much also how I clean my razors just change out the shampoo and conditioner for hand soap and add in a soft toothbrush to scub with)

SHIP - SHAPE is specifically made for washing brushes ... Remember , cleaning and/or washing a brush is not the same as "disinfecting " a brush ....

Attachments

• slide 2.jpg
    slide 2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 6
I ended up using some baby shampoo. This thing is too big for my brush stand! I just stood it up on its end after squeezing it out and shaking.

tomorrow's a shave day and I can't wait!

I'm glad we got to discuss this as there's some good info here that will help all of us as well as newbies.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I usually do a test lather (bowl or palm), rinse, and then go to town with it.
Sometimes a couple hairs fall out on the test, that's OK.

Like Rudy says, don't overthink this stuff.

Top Bottom