What's new

New Brush to coarse - softening brush hairs

I just got myself a Vulfix Strand #405 best badger brush upon suggestion on the folks at the local Shaver Shop. I said i wanted something to cut through hard soaps, and he said this was slightly stronger.

I love the quality of the brush, but find the adding lather on my face causes irritation and redness because the brush is too coarse for me. Do these things soften over time, or is there anything i can do (bar soaking in boiling water) to soften the brush hair?

Pete

I already do, and it's still a concern.

maybe its just a matter of adjusting technique. I learnt with a crappy chinese Comoy brush which was hopelessly soft,floppy and shapeless.

Or maybe i'll consider it my new exfoliating regime :eek:

PD

PD,

It may not make a difference, but try loading your brush with hair conditioner and letting it sit for a half hour, then give it a thorough rinse.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
PD,

It may not make a difference, but try loading your brush with hair conditioner and letting it sit for a half hour, then give it a thorough rinse.

Randy

I'd recommend using hair conditioner to work up a lather, but rinsing and repeating several times. I repeated that procedure many times to destenchify a Proraso/Omega boar brush, and the brush felt noticeably softer as a result.

I shall give it a go. I've already done quick rinses with Shampoo in an attempt to destenchify, but i must confess that i smells a wholelot better than my old cheapie did when i first dropped it in water.

S

Sam

you can paint the lather on, like a paintbrush, rather than swirl it on the face. maybe that would help

sam

First, do NOT soak brush in boiling water. It will ruin it. Second, it will get somewhat softer with use. Third, you might try this cleaning technique:

Emily from Em’s Place gave me a formula to use in cleaning brushes, and it does the best job of any method I’ve tried. I believe she said one of her brush makers recommended it.

Mix a light solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid and water and soak brush in it for awhile to remove scum.

Mix a solution of 9 parts water, 1 part white vinegar, and add a dash of [100% pure] glycerine. Soak your brush in this solution for awhile as well. (The glycerine can be purchased at any drug store [or at Whole Foods or a health-food store in the cosmetics section].)

I usually soak my brush for around 5 minutes in the Dawn solution swirling it ever so often and around 10 minutes in the water/vinegar/glycerin solution.

Brush comes out wonderfully soft and holds gallons of water. This has worked much better than shampoo or Borax in my opinion.

It later occurred to me that if you sort of paint the lather on, using the sides of the top of the bristles rather than directly with the tips pointing at your face, that might help. But probably you already do that.

Top Bottom