What's new

New brush recommendations

Hi there. I'm looking for a bit of advice. I bought my first brush maybe 13 years ago and it has been my daily driver ever since. I did own an Omega boar brush for about a year as well but never took to it. It's a Lee's Safety Razors branded pure badger brush made in England. I don't know who manufactured it. It has served me well and I've always been happy with it but it's time to get a new one. My first thought was to just get another one of these but it's not available. Any recommendations?

proxy.php

I don't know if you'd consider a synthetic, or what characteristics you're looking for in a brush, but there are some great options out there in the synth world, for very little cost. They dry quickly, produce lots of lather for very little product and rarely shed in my experience. If you can specify exactly what you're looking for in a brush (splay, backbone, size, whether you bowl or face lather etc) I'm sure that you'll get plenty of excellent recommendations here for any type of brush.

I don't know if you'd consider a synthetic, or what characteristics you're looking for in a brush, but there are some great options out there in the synth world, for very little cost. They dry quickly, produce lots of lather for very little product and rarely shed in my experience. If you can specify exactly what you're looking for in a brush (splay, backbone, size, whether you bowl or face lather etc) I'm sure that you'll get plenty of excellent recommendations here for any type of brush.

Thanks! I'll be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I've been wet shaving for 13 years and have only ever used two brushes. This one from Lee's and the omega boar. I disliked the boar brush and have always been 100% happy with the Lee's badger. I never got into brushes like I did razors and blades because I was just always totally happy with this one. My memory was that it was a good entry level badger brush but nothing fancy. I use a shaving mug to lather. I'm not looking for something dirt cheap but would like to keep it under maybe $100 or so.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but that brush appears to be a boar because the ends are split (badgers do not have split ends). That being said I would look into Semogue boar brush, maybe a 1470 or a 1520 if you want a banded look.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but that brush appears to be a boar because the ends are split (badgers do not have split ends). That being said I would look into Semogue boar brush, maybe a 1470 or a 1520 if you want a banded look.

I think it's badger. Looking closely the ends aren't split. Plus, it's way softer than my boar brush and says badger right on it :) Of course, I could be wrong. In looking it up, ,it appears that Simpsons may have actually made these Lee's brushes but I'm just not sure.

proxy.php

Thanks everyone!

How does the Simpsons Commodore compare to the Harvard and Persian Jar? The X2 certainly looks nice and the price seems great.

These things are handmade so variance exists between identical models. With that said:

The Commodore has a LOT of hair and is a little stiff for my tastes, way too much for me. Great value brush if that’s what you want.

The Persian Jar comes with Super hair, which I find way too soft and boring. Super grade feels like synthetic but splays like a badger to me, snore.

A Simpsons Keyhole 2 is another excellent brush. If mine was a tad softer it would be my Goldilocks brush. My Harvard is so luxurious that minor quibbles are quickly forgotten once it touches my face.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If I had to choose one moderately priced natural bristle brush, I'd choose a Semogue Owner's Club Mistura... they are great right out of the box and continue to improve. Many online shaving sites carry them.

SOC Mistura Twins.jpg

If synthetic is the choice, I think I'd go with the Omega Evo.... It's the best of the 7 synth brushes I've had. I still have 4 in rotation sometimes.

Have you considered reknoting that one? That's a lovely handle. Even if you buy another brush it makes sense to reknott that one. If it were mine I would reknot it with a Finest or Silvertip. It would especially look good with a Silvertip.

PM sent.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
AP Shave Co G5A knot (synthetic...imitation badger)

AP Shave Co Silksmoke knot (synthetic)

Semogue Pharos (synthetic horse hair)

Top Bottom