What's new

New brush, or new blade?

I've been wet shaving for a few months now, and while I'm getting much better shaves from this method than my old Mach3 and drugstore foam, my shaves still aren't that great. There's much less irritation, sure, but there's still stubble -- lots of it. My whiskers are as thick and wiry as I imagine they can get. My current set-up is an old Wilkinson Sword DE that my dad gave me (seen here) and aTweezerman badger brush I got for $10 off Amazon (my cream is perfect to me, Taylor Avocado).

I'm wondering if I should invest $50 in a high quality Vulfix brush, or a new razor (I was considering the Merkur Fetur). Which one would probably make a bigger difference? Does the brush type matter that much?

Reidar said:
I've been wet shaving for a few months now, and while I'm getting much better shaves from this method than my old Mach3 and drugstore foam, my shaves still aren't that great. There's much less irritation, sure, but there's still stubble -- lots of it. My whiskers are as thick and wiry as I imagine they can get. My current set-up is an old Wilkinson Sword DE that my dad gave me (seen here) and aTweezerman badger brush I got for $10 off Amazon (my cream is perfect to me, Taylor Avocado).

I'm wondering if I should invest $50 in a high quality Vulfix brush, or a new razor (I was considering the Merkur Fetur). Which one would probably make a bigger difference? Does the brush type matter that much?

Why not cheat and get both? Post in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for a razor, and enjoy using it with a new brush!

Randy

Hmmm... tough question. The Merkur Futur is my go to razor. I use it everyday now and I really have come to like it. I tried the Hefty Classic HD and it did not work that well for me. If you go with the Futur, just dial it down to 1-2 and leave it there for a long while until you learn the razor. I get consistently fantastic shaves with my heavy beard with it set around 1.5 to 2.

I don't own nor have seen the C&E (Jagger) brush that many of the fellows here have, but price-wise it is similar to the Vulfix brushes. I have a 2234 Vulfix and am perfectly happy with it - nice handle shape, good size, and lathers excellently. That combination (Futur plus Vulfix) will set you back about $100 at ClassicShaving.com. You could try one or both to save on the shipping. :biggrin: I think the razor would probably make a bigger difference than the brush, especially if you are already getting good lather with the Taylors (good choice btw).

Hmmm... Sounds like the beginnings of RAD and SBAD to me.:001_smile
You will find almost any decent badger hair brush a great step up from the Tweezer.. Shop around and see what you like. Everyone that regularly posts on this forum has at least one favorite that they are ready to recommend. Checkout the SOTD and see what other folks are using and PM them to find out about their experience and recommendations. There is a lot of untapped information available in the forum.
And remember, enjoy it, it is only shaving..

Reidar said:

If you have to pick between the two, get the brush first. If you can spend $30 more, get a merkur HD to go with the new brush.

Many thanks for the replies. I think I'm kind of leaning towards getting a SR brush now. I got a completely smooth shave today on my cheeks (I lathered the Taylor Avocado more), but there's still stubble on the typical problem areas, like the chin. I'm wondering whether a razor like the HD or the Fetur will cut those areas better, or a higher-quality brush will produce more lather so that the whiskers there will be softer, and which will make a bigger difference so that I can get that item first (I plan on owning both eventually down the line). Maybe I can somehow scrounge up the money to get both, I'll have to see. Thanks again.

One side of my Merkur HD Classic razor has a bigger gap than the other, resulting in different amounts of blade exposure. While shaving I need to be aware of this because it changes the pressure and the angle I should use. Some might enjoy this as it turns your HD into a an ajdustable, sort of, but I find it frustrating as I'd like to be able to switch sides without worrying about it.

I've read this is a common problem/feature of the HD. I don't know if the Vision is the same or not.

Harkonnendog said:
One side of my Merkur HD Classic razor has a bigger gap than the other, resulting in different amounts of blade exposure. While shaving I need to be aware of this because it changes the pressure and the angle I should use. Some might enjoy this as it turns your HD into a an ajdustable, sort of, but I find it frustrating as I'd like to be able to switch sides without worrying about it.

I've read this is a common problem/feature of the HD. I don't know if the Vision is the same or not.
I've never heard of this problem with the HD. You might want to contact the retailer about getting a replacement.

I know that some have commented on this problem with the Merkur adjustable razors (and some Gillette adjustable razors too), but this should not be an issue with the fixed head razors.

That price sure is a farcry from the $50 Fetur I was looking at. Would you happen to know the shipping? Or is it $18 with shipping?

Reidar said:
That price sure is a farcry from the $50 Fetur I was looking at. Would you happen to know the shipping? Or is it $18 with shipping?
If you are getting the Savile Row 208 they will ship together for the same s&h I would think. Why not call or email and find out?

P

PortsmouthDavid

In addition to upgrading your razor and brush, you might give some thought:

1) To what blade you use, and

2) To shave preparation.

On #1 - I am not sure what blade you use now, and everyone has their favorite. But -- since lack of closeness seems to be an issue -- you might consider going with something like a Gillette Platinum (so called "Swedish" Gillette). Those babies really slice through some beard, and I think you might benefit.

On #2 - Obviously showering before shaving is a help, but you may want to take another minute or two at the sink with a hot towel before lathering. That extra softening and preparation could pay dividends.

In any case - stick with it! I'm certain that once you find the right program for yourself you'll get great DE shaves.

-- David

Ahh, that's my razor in that picture. The Wilkinson Sword razor. A bit of a tricky animal I am discovering. I have only had it for a couple weeks, but it is taking some getting used to, a bit of razor burn and nicks here and there (I'm having quite the time getting my neck clean). A close shave can be had with it, but you have to get the angle right. It has a bit of aggression. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wilk, but it takes a trained hand to weild it properly. An easier shave could be had with a Gillette DE, a late 40's or a 50's model (The plain flared-tip variety).

That is a really difficult question, because BOTH the razor and brush are so important. I'm slightly, every so slightly, leaning towards getting the Futur if I were you. Just because, I have many problem areas too, and the Futur just mows them down with a single pass, where I have to do some blade-buffing with the Gillettes and risk abrasion. Then again, a good brush is very important too, and the Tweezerman looks kinda cruddy. This is quite the dilemma.

I think I'm somehow going to spring for both the Futur and the new brush. A gentleman on here has expressed interest in taking my Wilkinson Sword off my hands, and I'm not particularly interested in the collecting aspect of this; consequently all I need to know is an approximate price range. Would anybody be able to give an estimate for it?

Kyle said:
I've never heard of this problem with the HD. You might want to contact the retailer about getting a replacement.

I must have mistaken their comments about the Progress for comments about the HD. I've had the HD for over a month now and wouldn't feel comfortable complaining. Hmm...

Reidar said:
I think I'm somehow going to spring for both the Futur and the new brush. A gentleman on here has expressed interest in taking my Wilkinson Sword off my hands, and I'm not particularly interested in the collecting aspect of this; consequently all I need to know is an approximate price range. Would anybody be able to give an estimate for it?

One just went for $100 on ebay. But, I would keep it, it is a particularly rare razor and one day you might regret selling it, especially when your RAD hits.

Well, I just gave in and sprang for the whole lot of shaving items. I figure I'm not in this for the collecting aspect, so I'll just pay upfront for some quality peripherals that'll last me in the long run.

Merkur Futur
Vertical stand
SR-208 Super Badger brush
Proraso green shaving cream
Moss scuttle

I'm a powerlifter and MMA fighter, too, so I have to spend a lot on food and supplements -- thank goodness that I have zero social life to spend money on, haha.

Thank you very much for all of your help.

Sounds like some mighty fine purchases. :thumbup1:

They'll definitely last you for years (and possibly outlast you).

-Nick

(This post brought to you by the makers of Xyience[sup]TM[/sup])

Top Bottom