What's new

New brush for a friend

I just finished this brush for a friend. I cast the blank with black linen, aluminum shavings and polyester resin. I had a CA finish on it but it just blended all the "grain" of the linen in and it looked to plain. I decided to sand it back to the raw material which has less shine but much more character. The knot is a Maggard's 28mm SHD bulb.

20191221_154728~2.jpg
20191221_154848_HDR~2.jpg

Pretty neat looking. The grain pattern, if that's what you can call it, it quite nice.
Your friend should really like it!
The aluminum shavings is a nice touch as well!
I really need to try making a resin blank with linen one of these days.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It’s different. I was a little indifferent at first but the more I look at it the more I like it.

Pretty neat looking. The grain pattern, if that's what you can call it, it quite nice.
Your friend should really like it!
The aluminum shavings is a nice touch as well!
I really need to try making a resin blank with linen one of these days.

Thanks. I finally used the resin you suggest quite a while ago and it turns much better than fiberglass resin. I just wish i had a pressure pot to reduce bubbles. Yeah grain isn't the right word Folds or texture would be more accurate. I'm just used to referring to wood turning.
Thanks again for the recommendation.
Did you see the makeup brushes i made the other day?

It’s different. I was a little indifferent at first but the more I look at it the more I like it.

Thanks. It really does look a lot better in person. There are clear spots between the folds of the linen that give it real depth to the texture.

Very nice Greg

Thank you. This one ended up not being exactly what my friend wanted. He bought two of the knots and the resin so I could make us both a brush. I really like this one so I'm keeping it and making the other one for him with the requested changes to the design.

Thank you. I used it for the first time today. Wow first impressions of this knot are very good and I am very happy with the shape and finish. Hopefully the next one is more to my friends liking.

Top Bottom