What's new

New Brush for 2020: Elite Razors Manchurian, Zenith Manchurian, or APShaveCo Gelousy?

I'm about to start the 2020 sabbatical and am toying with the idea of picking up one more badger brush.

These three brushes have been on my radar, but I'm undecided which one would be best for me. I generally use either a Paladin Cleo with a 26 mm fan or a Simpson's Chubby 2 in Super. (I also own a Shavemac D01 2 Band but don't use it very often.) I like both of them a lot, but am looking at getting something new and a little to try.

I have found that I like fans better than bulbs and that I don't like extremely floppy badgers. But other than that, I'm open to trying something different than what I have.

For the Zenith, I'm looking at the 505 handle with a 28mm knot. (I'd generally go smaller than 28 but I really liked the feel of that handle when I used one.)

For the APShaveCo, I'd chose the 24 mm knot and I'd likely choose a 26 mm Manchurian for the Elite.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on these three brushes. Thanks in advance.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have the AP Shave Gelousy in 28 mm & the Zenith Manchurian in 28 mm.

APShaveCo.ZenithManchurian.MS30mm.640.10-14-19.JPG

The third brush in the photo is a 30 mm MS silvertip.

Here's my review of the AP Shave brush.

I have a Zenith Chubby Scrubby (boar) which I think has the 505 handle. I like the handle. I think the knot in the Zenith you might want is the same knot as the one in my copper Zenith Manchurian.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.640.JPG

My wooden handled Zenith Manchurian has, I believe, a slightly smaller knot than the copper. At any rate the brushes are both great but also somewhat dissimilar. Although I love both of them the copper has a great deal more backbone and scrub. That's not saying the olivewood Manchurian is weak on backbone and scrub because it's not, but the copper has the backbone of a dinosaur.

The copper with its 28 mm knot is not too heavy on backbone. I was warned to expect a shockingly high amount of backbone. Good thing as the backbone is truly impressive, but it breaks in after a few shaves and then has just the perfect backbone and scrub for a guy who really likes backbone and scrub.

The copper handled Zenith Manchurian is my very favorite brush. I'm a 100% face-latherer. The brush is soft enough for a super scrubby brush. If I only had one brush, this would be it!

In contrast the Gel from AP Shave is super soft and it has adequate scrub for a brush as soft as it is. Not that it is loaded with backbone or scrub like the Zenith Manchurian brushes. It's mostly soft, and soft is its main attribute.

1576956494221.png

I don't think either of the brushes (the two I know and have discussed) would be a bad choice for you, but, without question I'd go with the Zenith Manchurian.

The Shavemac D01 2 Band, according to what I've read (and I've looked and asked), is vastly stronger on backbone than the Zenith Manchurians. If I'm reading the reports accurately the D01 two band might have too much backbone for many of its owners (although not too much for everyone).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the AP Shave Gelousy in 28 mm & the Zenith Manchurian in 28 mm.

View attachment 1045540

The third brush in the photo is a 30 mm MS silvertip.

Here's my review of the AP Shave brush.

I have a Zenith Chubby Scrubby (boar) which I think has the 505 handle. I like the handle. I think the knot in the Zenith you might want is the same knot as the one in my copper Zenith Manchurian.

View attachment 1045542

My wooden handled Zenith Manchurian has, I believe, a slightly smaller knot than the copper. At any rate the brushes are both great but also somewhat dissimilar. Although I love both of them the copper has a great deal more backbone and scrub. That's not saying the olivewood Manchurian is weak on backbone and scrub because it's not, but the copper has the backbone of a dinosaur.

The copper with its 28 mm knot is not too heavy on backbone. I was warned to expect a shockingly high amount of backbone. Good thing as the backbone is truly impressive, but it breaks in after a few shaves and then has just the perfect backbone and scrub for a guy who really likes backbone and scrub.

The copper handled Zenith Manchurian is my very favorite brush. I'm a 100% face-latherer. The brush is soft enough for a super scrubby brush. If I only had one brush, this would be it!

In contrast the Gel from AP Shave is super soft and it has adequate scrub for a brush as soft as it is. Not that it is loaded with backbone or scrub like the Zenith Manchurian brushes. It's mostly soft, and soft is its main attribute.

View attachment 1045544

I don't think either of the brushes (the two I know and have discussed) would be a bad choice for you, but, without question I'd go with the Zenith Manchurian.

The Shavemac D01 2 Band, according to what I've read (and I've looked and asked), is vastly stronger on backbone than the Zenith Manchurians. If I'm reading the reports accurately the D01 two band might have too much backbone for many of its owners (although not too much for everyone).

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for your thoughts Jim. The D01 two band does have a lot of backbone. It’s not uncomfortable by any means, but I don’t use it as much as others.

Top Bottom