What's new

New brush, but which one (a good synth or a Silvertip badger)

Christmas is coming and I'd like to treat myself to a new brush. I have some candidates, but I couldn't even decide whether I want a synth or a badger (no boar, horse, or mixed suggestion please). The brush I use almost exclusively is a Razorock Plissoft 24mm. I am very satisfied with it, I only want another brush to see how a badger/best in class synthetic might feel. The only other brush I have is a Muhle black fibre. I don't really like it. It is floppy, holds way less water than the Plissoft, and it isn't as soft.

What I like, in order of importance:
- soft tips
- no scritch / scratch or prickliness of any sort
- easy splay
- 24mm feels right

I face lather 100% of the time.

I have to be able to source the brush from within the EU. (Unfortunately, this limits what I can get, but this is how it is. I.e. I would love to try something from AP Shave Co., but it isn't available here at all)

Max price: 60 Eur (80 tops).

Synthetics:
- Omega Evo
- Simpsons Trafalgar T2
Which one is softer? I am a bit concerned that the Simpsons does not tolerate swirling, and northern Europe is far away from any shop to be brushed off, if anything happens.

Badger:
I'm thinking of getting a silvertip badger of some sort(or even a manchurian at some manufacturers that fit into the budget), I have ruled out all the other variants (i.e: pure or best). I'm not sure how a soft badger would compare to the above synthetics. "Soft" or "no scrub" might mean something else for a hardcore badger enthusiast than to someone who is accustomed to synthetics.

Anyway, here's what I put on my list, but only based on forums and webshop availability. I'm in the dark really.
- Semogue Silvertip (no Mistura, as it is mixed)
- Omega Silvertip or Super
- Zenith Silvertip or Manchurian
- Yaqi Silvertip

Based on gut feel, at this point I'd lean towards the Omega or Yaki Silvertips.

Which knot would suit me best in your opinion, should I just flip a coin and get either the Evo or the Trafalgar T2, or will I be happy with a badger?

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any comment.

I bought a Yaqi Silvertip a couple of years ago at first I didn't like it as it made good lather but didn't seem to want to part with it. I have gradually got to like this brush a lot, it is one of my best now. I paid around £26 for it but that was back in 2018

AP shave Co G5A synthetic. It's the best face lathering synthetic on the market. The water retention is incredible and no other knot can touch it for softness. It's short lofted so while it's certainly not difficult to splay it does require some pressure to splay it. It's very similar to the EJ/Muhle STF but much more dense with more backbone. Trafalgar T2 can't touch it for softness.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am a bit concerned that the Simpsons does not tolerate swirling
You need have no concern on that score, a Simpson, natural or synthetic, is no different to any other brush. People get fixated on the 'painting strokes' advice on the Simpson care sheet but it is merely advisory. Mark from Simpson has confirmed the right here on B&B that swirling without excessive pressure is fine; that advice would apply to any brush brand. Good luck.

What I'd suggest is a dedicated face lathering brush made with dense silvertip badger hair. With a denser brush, a smaller size could work well, so a 22mm knot is a nice size for face lathering.

There are two Semogue brushes, in particular, that seem like a good match. These are the 730 HD and the 2015 HD. I believe these brushes are in the 50-60 euro price range at online discounters.

730 HD (acrylic):

1634462174413.png
1634462245191.png

2015 HD (wood):

1634462020914.png
1634461916170.png

Excellent, ergonomic handles on these two. The wood handle is coated with a waterproof finish.

As already mentioned the AP shave co are excellent brushes especially the new G5 knots super soft tips with the right amount of backbone, got the synbad and tuxedo knot both are on my top shelf

Neither the T2 nor the Evo splay easily. How about a RazoRock 400 with a "Plissoft Noir" (Boss) knot? It's around the 25-30 euros mark.

I wanted to get an AP Shave Co brush earlier already, but it isn't available in any EU shop that I know of. What I don't want is to wait 3 month for a lost/delayed package, then hassle with customs to finally get it (in a good case). Does anyone know an EU webshop that carries them?

I wanted to get an AP Shave Co brush earlier already, but it isn't available in any EU shop that I know of. What I don't want is to wait 3 month for a lost/delayed package, then hassle with customs to finally get it (in a good case). Does anyone know an EU webshop that carries them?
I think the G5 knots resemble the Muhle STF that you did not like very much. Besides, you already have experience with a synthetic, but not with one of the better badgers.

Don't think there's any AP shave EU vendors...unfortunately the reason why I don't order another one shipping + the extra import fees are making it no longer interesting to get items in from outside Europe

I think the G5 knots resemble the Muhle STF that you did not like very much. Besides, you already have experience with a synthetic, but not with one of the better badgers.
I have the black fibre, not the STF. It would be easy to get another Muhle, but based on reviews I think it wouldn't be right for me.
Yes, a good badger that fits the bill is still in the picture 😃

Budget?

Another synthetic would be the most cost-effective.

A quality badger would be more expensive but would offer a great change of pace!

I have the black fibre, not the STF. It would be easy to get another Muhle, but based on reviews I think it wouldn't be right for me.
Yes, a good badger that fits the bill is still in the picture 😃
G5A is extremely similar to STF fiber for fiber but the G5A much, much more dense. So the floppiness inherent with the STF isn't an issue with the G5A.
However, being as you're in Europe maybe it'd be easier to try a badger. You could be a very decent badger for the same price. Stay away from Simpson unless you can afford "super" grade or you'll risk getting
skritchy knot. For that price there are many options that won't be such a gamble...

Zenith Manchurian
Omega 63X models (very soft)
Semogue 2015 (perfect handle ergonomics)
Yaqi Silvertip (only 25ish euro)

Or if you still want to consider a synthetic a 12 euro Yaqi Sagrada Familia is very tough to beat. Perfect for guys that only want one or two brushes. Easy to find in Europe
PAA's synthetic brushes are second only to the German fiber premiums (STF, G5A etc) and are all just $20 USD, but they're stateside and you'd likely still have to wait, in which case you might as well get the G5A.

...PAA's synthetic brushes are second only to the German fiber premiums (STF, G5A etc) and are all just $20 USD, but they're stateside and you'd likely still have to wait, in which case you might as well get the G5A.

PAA brushes are sold by yourshaving.com in Spain. If you were going with a synthetic, I would strongly consider the PAA Roswell Grey knot. $22 in Europe, not bad. I love my Starcraft brush, BTW. Note this brush is about the size of an Omega Pro 49.

1634496171948.png

PAA brushes are sold by yourshaving.com in Spain. If you were going with a synthetic, I would strongly consider the PAA Roswell Grey knot. $22 in Europe, not bad. I love my Starcraft brush, BTW. Note this brush is about the size of an Omega Pro 49.

View attachment 1347366
That's right! I'd forgotten about yourshaving.
The Roswell Grey is also my favorite. I don't have a StarCraft but do have a Peregrino (same knot) and love it. In my top 5.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
What I'd suggest is a dedicated face lathering brush made with dense silvertip badger hair. With a denser brush, a smaller size could work well, so a 22mm knot is a nice size for face lathering.

There are two Semogue brushes, in particular, that seem like a good match. These are the 730 HD and the 2015 HD. I believe these brushes are in the 50-60 euro price range at online discounters.

730 HD (acrylic):

View attachment 1347126 View attachment 1347128

2015 HD (wood):

View attachment 1347125 View attachment 1347123

Excellent, ergonomic handles on these two. The wood handle is coated with a waterproof finish.
Yes semouge is where it’s at in terms of your needs.
For a synthetic try the t3. It’s great and budget priced.

Top Bottom