What's new

New Bowl: Holy Cow!

I got a new shaving bowl over the weekend (I'd been using one stolen from the kitchen previously). Not specifically designated a shaving bowl, but hand thrown with prominent ridges inside and a very rough finish. Had tried it a couple times with Cella, but that didn't do much as Cella really wants to face lather. Today was a Mamma Bear's day (Beau Brummel) and all be darned if it didn't make more lather than I've ever seen. It was sort of like throwing 6 egg whites in the Kitchen Aid.

I found the same thing going to a hand made pottery type bowl from a plastic mixing bowl... more texture and more "love" built into the bowl = more lather. heh

per the clay "coil" pots: maybe, but you probably want sharper ridges; sort of the inverse of the shape coils leave (broad, round ridges with sharp valleys)

My mom's a bit of a ceramics nut; and a while back she gifted me some of her supposedly failed attempts at using a wheel (she rarely makes pottery so much as all sorts of random amorphous shapes; in fact she coils a lot, but smoothes it out prior to baking)

I have a little straight-walled 3" wide 1.5" high thing she wanted to be an ashtray that works rather well; the clay she used was a bit sandy, and she left a lot of small raised ridges in the bottom at about a 1/4" interval; so the overall texture seems to work very well. (albeit my only comparison is an industrial grade coffee mug that was a little narrow and tall for my liking)

I do wonder if it should be a little larger in both dimensions as I often think I'm going to overflow the thing.

Bravo! You must have been quite amazed! I have a hand made rough surface bowl coming in the mail. Can't wait!

OK, here are the pics. Apologies for the mediocre quality, as they are from my phone (DSLR is currently in pieces...). It is a pretty good mess of lather, though not quite as much as yesterday. I did 3 passes and touch up and there was enough left for another 3. The bowl is a hand thrown ceramic, quite rough, with some ridges. I didn't measure, but it is about soup bowl size.

That looks almost the same as my bowl!

proxy.php

After a 4 pass shave.

proxy.php

Also the leftovers after a shave I believe, or at least halfway through. (I never remember to take a pic first thing... heh)

That's a nice looking bowl you have there. How gritty is the surface? I've heard you have to watch for anything too abrasive as it can damage the brush hairs. My Dirtybird scuttle and mixing bowl are on the way so I can't wait to try out something new!

That's a nice looking bowl you have there. How gritty is the surface? I've heard you have to watch for anything too abrasive as it can damage the brush hairs. My Dirtybird scuttle and mixing bowl are on the way so I can't wait to try out something new!

I'm not sure about brush concerns. 4 days in and it seems OK. It is rough, but not like sandpaper rough, the pieces are bigger than that, and under glaze so the edges aren't sharp. But it is for sure rough.

Top Bottom