What's new

New Body Shop Maca Root + Aloe

Anyone tried the new formation yet?

Picked up a tub today but not had chance to try it yet. Initial inspection is that it's lighter in colour, scent is similar perhaps not quite as strong as before

Hope it still lives up to it's previous incarnation in terms of performance, review to follow.....

With all the attention it gets here I'm surprised no one has tried it or has any feedback on it yet

Stay away from it, the older Maca Root is way better performer,slicker, more protective, hopefully I have a full tub of it. In Greece the old formulation is discontinued.

proxy.php

Ok finally got round to trying it out today. Bear in mind this is based on a single use so further investigation is definitely required.

As I mentioned before the scent is very similar but a little less strong to my nose.

In use it seems a bit thirstier than the previous formulation which led to it feeling a bit drier and slightly less slick than we're all used to. That's not to say it's level of slickness is bad, just may require more water than previously to attain it.

It still lathers up very well and generated enough remaining in the brush for 3 passes + tidy up. Residual slickness between passes was ok too.

Got a good clean shave out of it and post shave feels pretty good. I did get a little irritation in one area but this might be down to where the lather dried out a little and may well be remedied when I get the balance right.

So far overall I'm relieved that it's not the disaster I was beginning to anticipate, in actual fact it doesn't seem that much different. I think by upping the hydration during lathering next time may well pay dividends and I'll report back when I've given it another outing.

I still have a full tub of the original formula so I'm giving some thought to doing one of those soap commercial style "we shaved this half of the face with old stuff and the other half with new improved......"

And these are the ingredients of the older formula:

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum, Phenethyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Bertholletia Excelsa Nut Oil, Creatine, Sesamum Indicum Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Lepidium Meyenii Root, 1,2-Hexanediol, Capryloyl Glycine, Citric Acid.

The only serious difference might be the aloe barbadensis gel on the older formula and the aloe barbadensis leaf juice powder.

The older formula has the aloe gel high in the ingredients list and the new formula has aloe powder very low in the ingredients.
The new formula seems to have less aloe than the older one just reading the ingredients list(the higher position is an ingredient the higher quantity there is inside the product) .

And beware: the older formula has gel when the new one has powder in it.

In Greece from now on it is sold only the new formula. In other countries seems to stock the old formula while selling also the new one.Thank God I have a full tube from that old stuff. The sickness can be easily compared with a good tallow artisan shave soap, maybe even better. Your Mileage May Vary gentlemen.

RandySp

I shaved the past two days with my nearly full tube of the old stuff. Macca Root Cream has always given me a superior post-shave feel. Not my favorite scent.

I'm still glad I have another tub of the old formula on its way to me. I already have a mostly full tub so I should be good for a very long time.

Seems to still be pretty much the same base so I wouldn't expect much change. All the stores here have the old formula so I might check wait and check this out when it starts to roll out in this area.

I find it interesting that the old formula contains an Aloe Gel as the fourth ingredient while Aloe doesn’t show up in the new formula until the 16th ingredient yet the old formula doesn’t have Aloe in the name while the new one does. But I’ll agree that the formulas do appear fairly similar so suspect the performance might be similar as well. At some point I might be tempted to try the new one to compare.

I find it interesting that the old formula contains an Aloe Gel as the fourth ingredient while Aloe doesn’t show up in the new formula until the 16th ingredient yet the old formula doesn’t have Aloe in the name while the new one does. But I’ll agree that the formulas do appear fairly similar so suspect the performance might be similar as well. At some point I might be tempted to try the new one to compare.

Man you read it very well. If there was a thumbs up I would have given you one!

This I was trying to say, and the thing is that Aloe in the new formula is in powder form, not gel and clearly in very small quantity than the older Maca.

S(h)ave your souls and keep the older one. There was no obvious reason for BodyShop to change this terrific, slickest, very good quality cream. C'mon they didn't improve anything at all.

And man... check out the Maca Root balm. Easily one of my favourites.

Last edited:
I went to The Body Shop the other day and smelled the new formula. I told the girl the scent was not as strong as the old one. She said it was because they added aloe. I told her that aloe is not a scent and that I prefer the previous scent. She directed me to the "Sale" table where they had tubs of the old formula for $7. I bought one, even though I have recently started a new one. Maybe they will have a new formula when I finish the two tubs I have. I loved the previous Body Shop cream, which had a scent called Woodsy Sandalwood. Great scent and they should have kept it when they introduced Maca Root.

I went to The Body Shop the other day and smelled the new formula. I told the girl the scent was not as strong as the old one. She said it was because they added aloe. I told her that aloe is not a scent and that I prefer the previous scent. She directed me to the "Sale" table where they had tubs of the old formula for $7. I bought one, even though I have recently started a new one. Maybe they will have a new formula when I finish the two tubs I have. I loved the previous Body Shop cream, which had a scent called Woodsy Sandalwood. Great scent and they should have kept it when they introduced Maca Root.

Good choice. Girls in Body Shops know only to paint their nails and put makeup on. Avoid to ask them men's products details.

The girl on the bodyshop the other day told me that the tube 125ml Maca Root is brushless cream and does not lather with a brush... OMG

And something else. It was difficult for me to end up the 200gr Maca Root. Even with often shave this thing is endless.

S(h)ave your souls and keep the older one. There was no obvious reason for BodyShop to change this terrific, slickest, very good quality cream. C'mon they didn't improve anything at all.
I beg to differ.
proxy.php

The scent is far superior, and that's half the product for me.
It smells like sort of a blend of the old Maca Root formula, TOBS Mr Taylors and TOBS Eton College. Not exactly like that, of course, but in the ballpark. A step closer to barbershop than candle shop.
I didn't care for the beige colour of the old stuff either.
Waiddaminnit ... the old scent was "beige" too. That's it. Not offensive, but bland. It was a step down from the original Body Shop "Mechanics For Men" shaving cream, which had more of a sandalwood scent, IIRC.

As far as the slickness goes, I found it hard to tell the difference.

Oops! I stand corrected. The original quote was not about Maca Root cream.
I would not buy soapy bathman. Very poor lather and no protection. Cigar Lounge scent was a disappointment. Smelled like walking into a candle shop with a hint of cedar.
It was useful anyway.

I think you guys are looking at this whole aloe thing completely wrong. The original formula has gel in it. Gel has a high concentration of water. The new formulation has powder in it (dehydrated aloe). One tsp of dehydrated aloe juice is going to have more "aloe" in it than 1 tsp of gel. So they likely have the same amount of "aloe" in the product, but because they have switched the source of the aloe and are using a dehydrated product they don't need to use as much in order to have the same result.

Top Bottom