What's new

New boat anchor!

Received my RB67 from KEH this afternoon. All in all it's in pretty good shape.

The lens has a small scratch on the front element about 1/4" long. I don't think it will be an issue with the hood being used. One of the blades on the shutter is bent at the tip, but doesn't seem to affect anything.

BTW, when you fire does the shutter close, then open, then close again? the one second shutter speed seems to be on.

The back is in very good shape. Seals are OK, but need to be replaced. Time to call Jon.

The focusing screen's vertical marks are wandering all over the place. I'm assuming these are waterslides or something between the glass and the fresnel and someone tried to wash it in water.

And the weight. Not going to be an issue I think. It only weighs 1/2 lb more than my D200 with speedflash and battery pack. It actually fits my small hands quite well. I like it.

Anyway, here's the pics:

$D200-140213-3564-2.jpg$D200-140213-3565-2.jpg$D200-140213-3566-2.jpg $D200-140213-3567-2.jpg$D200-140213-3569-2.jpg

Man, those guide lines are something else! Almost looks like someone drew them on with a marker and no straight edge.

Still would love to get one of these, but darkroom equipment is needed first. Can't wait to see some shots from it!

-Xander

Legion

Staff member
Ah man. Glad I don't have to lug one of those around any more.

I once broke my ankle and then had to get a full RB kit and a Gitzo tripod back home. That sucked.

Man, those guide lines are something else! Almost looks like someone drew them on with a marker and no straight edge.

Still would love to get one of these, but darkroom equipment is needed first. Can't wait to see some shots from it!

-Xander

Yeah, I found a link that said the basic screen marks are actually waterslides. If they get soaked in water, say someone trying to clean the screen, they can float around. I may have to see if I can find a replacement if it presents itself as an issue.

Fantastic! Don't forget us when you get to run the first roll of film through your new baby.

Fantastic! Don't forget us when you get to run the first roll of film through your new baby.

It's supposed to be near 80°F this Sat. and Sun. Perfect for going out and blowing through a few rolls.

I had a RB-67 ages ago (long gone now).

They are great but I would classify them more of a tank than boat anchor as they are real work horses.

If you are going to use the current waist level view finder (instead of a pentaprism) I would recommend getting "the grip" (L-bracket) as it helps steady the camera greatly.

proxy.php

wow, those marks! They are supposed to look like this:

$1234796_10101278827102158_1541992855_n.jpg

Either way, you should be able to pick up a new focusing screen for cheap. I'd almost think KEH might replace it for free if you ask. I'd recommend eventually replacing it as the black marks act as the framing marks for when you have the back rotated for portrait and the red landscape framing marks move out of the way.

I'd have to look at my cameara. I don't remember exactly how the shutter works. I'm thinking that when you fire, the shutter stops down to the desired apeture, stays open for the length of time you set for the shutter speed, then closes. It might actually close all the way before it sets to the correct fstop though. It should open again once you **** it again with the right hand lever. Obvioulsy, you have to **** the shutter and advance the film separately.

If I remember correctly, you need to have the shutter cocked in the lens, and the body cocked before mounting it. With the lens off, twist the 2 metal studs on the lens to manually set it.

Hope you enjoy it! I know i love mine. I picked up one of the non metering prism finders for christmas. Its even more of a beast with the prism attached, but so much fun to use! Looking down at the ground glass is the best "live view" you can get!

Last edited:
wow, those marks! They are supposed to look like this:

View attachment 413595

Either way, you should be able to pick up a new focusing screen for cheap. I'd almost think KEH might replace it for free if you ask. I'd recommend eventually replacing it as the black marks act as the framing marks for when you have the back rotated for portrait and the red landscape framing marks move out of the way.

I'd have to look at my cameara. I don't remember exactly how the shutter works. I'm thinking that when you fire, the shutter stops down to the desired apeture, stays open for the length of time you set for the shutter speed, then closes. It might actually close all the way before it sets to the correct fstop though. It should open again once you **** it again with the right hand lever. Obvioulsy, you have to **** the shutter and advance the film separately.

If I remember correctly, you need to have the shutter cocked in the lens, and the body cocked before mounting it. With the lens off, twist the 2 metal studs on the lens to manually set it.

Hope you enjoy it! I know i love mine. I picked up one of the non metering prism finders for christmas. Its even more of a beast with the prism attached, but so much fun to use! Looking down at the ground glass is the best "live view" you can get!

Yup. The red fiber optic bars work fine, but those dashed lines are really wonky as you've seen.

My lens closes all the way before it sets the correct aperture and stays open, then closes before having to re-****.

yea i was a bit fuzzy on the shutter sequence, but it looks like someone on APUG verified that what you wrote was correct.

I just got an email back from KEH customer service and they are sending me a replacement screen unit no cost. They told me to keep the one I have and I can use alcohol to remove the wonky lines if I want. They live up to their reputation for service.

I've only bought a few things from them, and what I bought had no problems. I've always heard great things about their customer service, which is why they are the first place I turn when looking for used camera gear. Their prices are darn hard to beat as well.

Also, Im jealous of that 65mm lens!

I gave up medium format when I quit shooting weddings. Had a Bronica, several Rollie's, and a Yashica. I've always admired this one, just couldn't afford it at the time. Happy shooting, look forward to seeing some photos!

Nice camera. I have its little brother the 645. It's been a while since I used it, but I remember liking it and getting good pictures with it. Enjoy.

Got the replacement screen from KEH today. The lines are straight and the center clear circle is about 1/2 the size of the one that came with the camera, but I had to take it apart and clean it well. The fresnel screen was cleaned with alcohol or something at one time and has about 1/2 of it a little different opaqueness than normal. Kind of looks like a stain mark. After cleaning it seems to match focus with the original and I don't notice the slight color difference from the "stain".

I was waiting on the replacement to take the original apart and remove the wonky lines. They are indeed just water slides or stickers and a little alcohol popped them right off. I left the edge marks and using a straight edge put some new lines across it with a fine point sharpie. They don't look solid black and professional because the sharpie ink tends to smear out on glass except where you start and stop, but they are straight now :001_tongu

I've worked up a couple of shots from the first roll, but I'm still getting my scanner set up like I want it with my new computer as well as messing around with the scans in Lightroom (which I just got as well) and I'm not happy with the scans and PP. The photos at the link below I used LR export to downsize for the web and the sharpening went south, IMO. I may try starting from scratch with these and give it another go. I won't post them here as I'll probably replace them and they'll disappear.

http://rollinghillsimagery.smugmug.com/Film/Mamiya-RB67-Pro-S/i-dhjBqS5

Looking at your images at that resolution, they look great. What sort of scanner and software are you using?

I'm just using an Epson V500 with the stock carriers and the EpsonScan software. I have typically used ACR/CS4 to PP, but I've been messing with Lightroom 5 and the Perfect Effects 8 plugin on these shots trying to figure the software out. Those on the website were downsized to 1200px on the longest side. The larger sizes look pretty similar and I suspect would look reasonably sharp on a 12x18 print or so. I've done 8x10 and 12x12 from my YashicaMat and they look fine to me and anyone else that's saw them. I just thought the downsized ones looked a little oversharpened. The negs look very sharp to me through an 8X loupe, at least the ones where i did my part.

Top Bottom