What's new

New boar brush VS Hibiclens Soap

My new Omega 20102 came today (my first Omega brush) and it looks like a great brush. When I went for the first dish liquid soak and got it wet, it stunk to high heaven. My Semogue 1305 (my only other boar brush) didn't really have a smell when it was new so I was a bit surprised that it smelled this strongly. I wasn't expecting it to be quite as pungent, I guess. After my initial 15 minute soak and agitating it around, it still smelled the same. I stopped and asked myself, why does this brush stink? hmmm... well, it is hair from a hog.... hogs roll around in dung, mud, food and anything else they can find . Animal smell usually generates from some type of bacteria so.... I went to the bathroom and grabbed some Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial soap (active ingredient Chlorhexidine Gluconate 4.0%) and ran another cup of warm water. I put about an ounce of the soap in the cup, put the brush down in it and filled it the rest of the way up with water until it barely covered the knot. I walked away for about 10 minutes... came back, agitated it some more then rinsed it. Instantly, all pig/animal smell was gone. I'm talking completely.

I just thought I would share my venture. Obviously the smell has to do with a tinge of bacteria left on the brush from the factory. Kill the bacteria, poof goes the smell.

Anyone else ever tried this? If you haven't and want to kill the smell quickly, you should. :thumbup: The soap also contains a small 4% isopropyl alcohol which I could tell dried the hair out a bit and made the ends want to split faster. A quick dip in some glycerin water then a swirl in some hair conditioner and I feel like I've sped up this break in ten fold.

Disclaimer - I keep Hibiclens around the house in case of any cuts, abrasions, etc. Anytime I draw a decent amount of blood, I scrub it with the soap and it tends to heal very quickly. Love the stuff. Chlorhexidine is found in presurgical scrubs, shampoos for skin bacteria on humans and animals, etc. It feels good to know the brush is totally defunked.

I've never tried that. Sounds like it works pretty well though. I just use regular shampoo. It seems to de-funk brushes really well. I just de-funked my newly arrived Berkley with a little shampoo. All the animal funk is gone.

Did the Hibiclens dye the bristles red? The stuff is notorious for staining, and I would be terrified to let it anywhere near my brushes.

Be careful with Hibiclens...While hospitalized a few years ago I found out that a few drops of Hibiclens inserted into the ear canal is almost always fatal.

Hibiclens was one of the medical grade antimicrobial soaps I used to sell. I don't have any, and have never felt a need to 'sterilize' or 'defunk' any of my new brushes (I don't buy used). I don't suspect anything that is safe on unbroken human skin, and approved by the FDA, would hurt any of your natural hair brushes.

Top Bottom