What's new

New Blade - How Often Do you Change?

I just use them once per side then toss away into a jar...maybe twice per side sometimes if im really enjoying the blade

I tend to shave about every 48 hours, and have 8 razors now to rotate. So in 30 days I shave ~15 times. Each blade gets about 2-3 shaves now, and then at the start of the month I dump them, clean the razors, and load with new blades.

Every Sunday I change my blade whether it needs it or not. I also rotate razors at the same time. Some weeks I use straights.....

Whenever it starts pulling or tugging instead of cutting. Sometimes thats after 3 shaves, sometimes after 10.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My last shave was with a Gillette Silver Blue. It was my 51st shave with it. The second shave on a GSB is better by far than the first. If I remember correctly, at about the 18th or 20th shave I was less than happy with the blade, and put it in a Slant razor. It then went back to acting like it was shave number 2.

Everyone is different, and every blade is different. To me part of the fun of this "strange hobby" is the "hyper-miling" of the blades.

I use a brand new blade everytime. Some get way too sharp on the second shave and others are already dull. There are very few blades that work with my beard and skin combination and that allied with my lack of experience. One thing is certain when I use a blade for the second time: irritation.

When you all say you change your blade after [x] shaves, that's the number of full shaves, not passes, correct?

In my case you are correct, shaves not passes. Each shave I do 2 full passes but the third pass is only on the chin and neck and leave the cheeks alone. It does all depend on how the blade feels on the last shave. I think the last blade I used I only got 4 shaves from and it felt rough. Feathers I only get around 3 and they start to cause irritation.

Until it starts tugging, not cutting properly or is leading to a poor quality shave in some other way. But there are many factors that can cause those things other than a blade. Feel and experience will tell you but there's no magic number, just different strokes for different folks.

I read one gent going for fifty shaves on his Perma-Sharp.

Guilty as charged.

Perma-Sharp #53

Fatip Gentile
Omega 10051
Proraso Green preshave
Palmolive Classic Men cream

2 passes

I still haven't quite found my method for lathering with a cream. There was nothing wrong with tonight's lather, on the contrary; it was perfect. Just didn't get there the way I'd like. A blob of cream, massaged into the tips and face lathered. It worked out fine but I spent more time face lathering than I'd like and I prefer to have a creamy consistency with most of the water added before I go to my face. Only way to do that with a cream is to use a bowl, so I'll give that a go next time Palmolive comes round in my rotation.

First pass, WTG. It wasn't quite the non thinker I'd planned, as I focused on shallow above the jawline, steep below. It was easy and comfortable though.

Pass 2, XTG with a little WTG/XTG here and there, on the underside of my chin and parts of my neck. This time I thought less, shaved more. During the moments of lucidity I could recognise that I was using very light but consistent pressure and a shallow to neutral angle just about everywhere, more neutral than steep on my neck. It was very comfortable.

A bit of clean up underneath my jawline gave me the finish a 2 pass shave occasionally lacks. No irritation, redness, dryness or weepers for a satisfying post shave.

Until it starts tugging, not cutting properly or is leading to a poor quality shave in some other way. But there are many factors that can cause those things other than a blade. Feel and experience will tell you but there's no magic number, just different strokes for different folks.

Guilty as charged.
You certainly have the blades figured out Wes. Your shaves verily that. Great shaves.

I can usually get around 4 shaves from my single edged gem style razors. I have been using gem ptfe and treet carbon swapping back and forth and it’s still up in the air for me which is the better blade. But I do know that as soon as that blade starts tugging I change it. Life’s too short.

I've never really thought about it. Either with DEs or from my cartridge days, I'd feel is time for a new blade, I'll swap them out. With my current Shark/SS and GSB/Muhle setups, I'm hovering right around 10-14 days of shaves* per blade. I haven't figured out my new shavette yet though.

*I have a full beard**, so only shave my neck (four passes) and the tops of my cheeks (W and AGT). And every other day. Alternating razors. So 12 days is 6 shaves, or 3 per blade. And that's all an average ballpark.

**I feel that because I have so much less to shave, I can splurge more since it'll last so much longer than you smooth faced fellows. At least that's how I justify it to Mrs. Rookie 😉.

Every single time. Shaving with a used blade isn't confortable for me. It either gets duller or too sharp. My shaving needs go along with consistency if I want to avoid razor burn.

I get an average of 5-7 full shaves on a DE blade; sometimes I get a shave or two more or less, depending on the individual blade. I don't worry about it too much, I just change it when needed.

Waiting for one of the excalibur members to chime in with 500 shaves per blade!!! Lol.
My longest lasting blades so far (and the ones I used for the last 5 years for the most part) are Gillette silver blues. Probably 10 easy shaves.
But I'm back to experimenting again with more blades!!!
Edit: 10 shaves of my neck. Recently started cheeks again but keeping goatee. So maybe half to 5-6 for full face id say on GSB.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
With very sharp blades, like the Gillette Silver Blue and Nacet, I get 5 close, comfortable shaves. With blades that are a tad less sharp (but still super smooth), like the Israeli Red Personna, I get 3 great shaves.

Top Bottom