What's new

New Blade EVERY time?

Anybody here prefer to pop in a fresh New Blade (or perhaps a once-used blade) every time you shave?

Considering blades cost so little, why not start out with a pristine blade each time you endeavor to shave? We "invest" $$$ heavily in our more "permanent" tools of the trade, i.e. razor(s) and brush(es), and to a lesser extent soaps, aftershave etc., but blades are of such a comparatively minimal cost. Now I am not one to waste money or resources, so I do appreciate getting all you can out of one's investment, but the bottom line is I really like the feel of installing and, more importantly, using new, clean, sharp, blade! Moreover, I only shave (and only have to shave) about every 3rd to 4th day, so my frequency of use and $ spent on blades is not the same as a daily shaver.

Admittedly, I do not have years of wet shaving experience up[on which to base my impressions. I do see plentiful posts whereby wet shavers declare that subsequent uses of a blade (beyond the initial use) actually improve various aspects of sharpness and/or smoothness as certain coatings and the cutting edge itself are "eroded" (yes, I am a geologist, so that is how I will describe it). I cannot attest to this in my limited experience, as perhaps I am still too new to the whole process and tend to want to always start with a fresh new blade as my "constant" while I continue to hone my skills and confidence as a DE wet shaver.

I am eager to hear how my more seasoned wet shaving brothers (and sisters) weigh in on the topic of using NEW BLADES for each and every shave.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm the wrong guy to ask, as I'm cheap and I'm dead from the neck up, but especially with the GSB, the 2nd shave is ALWAYS better than the 1st one. For me, this is also true for Astra SP.

You are probably not only throwing money away, but also not getting the best shave from a blade.

I've got 44 shaves from a GSB that is just as good as it was on its 2nd shave.

My beard is medium, and 90% white now.

Dave

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
probably not a cost issue with me but a time issue. I just dont have the extra time in the morning (or at night in terms of another step to prep) to change out the blade everyday.

Personally i think most blades improve after the first shave. I’ve tried over 30 brands so far and have found that it’s the rare blade that doesn’t improve after the 1st shave. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the one and done philosophy, but i tend to try and find out how many shaves the blade will go before it starts to drop off in performance. Generally i’ve found it’s around 3-6 uses for most blades but it’s heavily dependent on how coarse your beard is and a number of other factors. There are guys in the “excalibur club” who take blades into the hundreds of shaves which i don’t even remotely understand! Bottom line is, like anything else in shaving it’s all about what gives YOU the best shave. My advice would be to try giving a blade 4 uses and see if you like how it shaves. If not, stick with the one and done.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I see no reason to change the blade every time. Macduff is right, blades get better after the first shave.

Thanks, fellow wet shavers!

This gives me some real food for thought! Especially with first-hand confirmation from several that attest to the notion that shaves actually do tend to improve with subsequent uses of a given blade! I shall endeavor to start using a blade 3-4... times to see where the (my) real "fall off" point is with a blade.

I sure would hate to think that I am missing out on something truly amazing by routinely using a new blade every (or every other) time!

Keep the wisdom flowing!

Cheers!

IMHO 2nd-3rd shaves on most blades tend to be better to me. They feel smoother. If that's coating wearing off or some other factor I much prefer a 2nd shave blade.

That said I can often get 7-14 shaves out of many blades. I suspect I have easy to shave stubble though, and I spend time before most shaves doing a decent amount of prep. In fact, I tend to toss blades more for the want of changing things up than because the blade is actually bothering me.

However, if you like one and done then that is the right answer. Shave your own shave :)

FarmerTan

IMHO 2nd-3rd shaves on most blades tend to be better to me. They feel smoother. If that's coating wearing off or some other factor I much prefer a 2nd shave blade.

That said I can often get 7-14 shaves out of many blades. I suspect I have easy to shave stubble though, and I spend time before most shaves doing a decent amount of prep. In fact, I tend to toss blades more for the want of changing things up than because the blade is actually bothering me.

However, if you like one and done then that is the right answer. Shave your own shave :)
Yep, prep, for me, is everything. If I prep properly, I could shave with a butter knife.

Maybe, lol.

I have something like 25 different DE blades in my collection. With a few exceptions, nearly every one of them gives a sharper, smoother shave on the 2nd use than on the first. If you toss them after the first shave, you are missing out on the best shaves these blades are capable of delivering. Here are the exceptions I have tried.

1. Feather blades are extremely sharp out of the package, but dull quickly. I cannot even get three good shaves from them before they become too dull and too rough for my coarse beard and sensitive skin. Others can get a few more shaves before they go bad for them.

2.Derby Extra, Shark Super Chrome and Merkur ice tempered blades are too dull on the first shave for my coarse beard. The do not seem to improve significantly with use. I understand Sharp Super Stainless blades perform similarly. Those with less coarse beards may be able to get multiple shaves from these blades.

FarmerTan

Ha! I'll take what I can get! Wisdom is just a bonus!
Yes, wisdom is overrated, actually. The one who is faster than the slowest person in the chase survives to tell his version of the chase. Usually the wisest one is the slowest because he's old and a lump on the couch of life, much like me!

I find shaves 5 to 15 on Astra SP's and Gillette Wilkinson Swords are the best. Shaves 15 through 25 are good. The worst shaves are shaves 1-4. I find blades last longer if I encourage them and compliment them along the way. I always thank them for their service when I put them in the bin of heroes.

Last edited:
Definitely consider myself one of those members who think that the blade performance improves after the first shave.

It's not the cost aspect for me either. Some blades only last 4 shaves, others have lasted 15 or more. It's just a case of using it until it no longer gives me a smooth, non tuggy shave. I had one blade that just didn't want to quit, after 22 shaves I binned it due to boredom more than anything else..

If you ever find yourself one of those vintage Gillette utility knives that used double edged blades you can make your blades work for even longer..

In a partially-related "isn't data interesting?" aside, I rotate soaps so have never been really sure how many shaves I get from a tub. However, this year I've been keeping a simple shave log, and it turns out I get rough ballpark of 50 shaves, at least from B&M, GD, and M&M. A $15 to $22 tub divided by 50 = a lot more than blades cost.

Could I use less soap? I'm sure - 10%, maybe 20% - but probably not more than that.

But really, it's all pretty small money.

Top Bottom