What's new

New best-in-class: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream - an absolute game changer

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
With all this talk I had to try this one too. I went on a balm hunt last year to try to find a replacement for Nivea.

It took a while and there were plenty of duds but I was ultimately successful. My current top picks are Antica Barbieria Colla, Baume, Fitjar and Pre de Provence. All are very nice and do the job perfectly. I tried this was more out of curiosity than needing an improved balm.

So what do I think?

First it was easy to find. All the local supermarkets in Australia stock it as well as the big pharmacies. This isn’t a specialty product that needs to be bought online and shipped halfway around the globe. So it’s a tick there. Easy to find.

Price wise it’s pretty expensive here. $27 AUD for a 50ml rub is the going RRP. The discount pharmacy chain Chemist Warehouse sells it for $13 so there are deals to be has. They were out of stock so I ended up paying full price. $54/100ml is pretty close to the top end of town for a balm. Of all my favorites only ABC is more expensive. So it’s not cheap but kind of in line with the top end balms price wise.

Performance. Like others have said, it’s very good. It certainly blows Nivea out of the water for face feel. The product goes on wet and thin and spreads easily. Very soon after it soaks in completely and leaves a dry silky feel to the skin. Your face feels hydrated all day without feeling loaded up or oily. It’s a light dry finish which is nice. I’d say it’s a very good performer. A tier one balm if you will. Not good enough to replace my other favorites but certainly playing at that level.

In some areas it’s a little different than the others. It’s has practically no scent. There is no added fragrance as far as I can tell. What little intrinsic scent the product does have does not linger. I’m kind of moving away from strong scents now preferring to let my EdP stand on its own rather than compete with all sorts of conflicting scents. Along these lines I’ve recently started using an Alum block for deodorant. It’s very effective and scentless but that is another story.

Because it leaves no residue and has such a light dry finish, I think this will make a good summer balm. Wetting your face later in the day is a good test for residue. There is none or almost none to speak of. This is nice in the summer when you might be putting on a sunscreen or sweating a little during the day. I think this will play very well with my favorite summer sunscreen Neutrogena, Ultra Sheer Fluid, Facial Sunscreen. Another good Neutrogena product that I’ve been using for a while. A little pricey but an absolute top performer with a dry touch. We digress.

So ultimately I’d like to thank you guys for bring this one to my attention. It’s a very nice product that should see plenty of use this summer. It’s another good Neutrogena product that should help keep the wrinkles at bay a bit longer.

View attachment 1345131
Very good review. I am curious how the regular kind performs. I have the extra dry. If you would like i can send you one that is nearly empty so you can compare!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Very good review. I am curious how the regular kind performs. I have the extra dry. If you would like i can send you one that is nearly empty so you can compare!

I think this might just be different labelling in different countries. The Neutrogena Australia website lists three similar products in the Hydro Boost line.

Water Gel
Night Concentrate
Gel-Cream

The American site lists:
Water Gel
Night Pressed Serum
Gel-Cream Extra Dry

The ingredients seem to be the same dispute the slightly different label.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I think this might just be different labelling in different countries. The Neutrogena Australia website lists three similar products in the Hydro Boost line.

Water Gel
Night Concentrate
Gel-Cream

The American site lists:
Water Gel
Night Pressed Serum
Gel-Cream Extra Dry

The ingredients seem to be the same dispute the slightly different label.
Very interesting. I went to the neutrogena website and found this:

I am not a chemist so I cannot speak to the differences.

Very glad you like it!!

1.png

2.png

3.png

got my clubman today was not quite what I though but going to give it a try with this Neutrogena as I just did a afternoon refresh with it :)

think I am a Old Spice guy and I do want to try floid I decided as I am pretty sure this clubman wont be replaced by Old Spice so figure try one more again my Fine is to the side my old 2nd fav of Cella is to the side

still loving the post heal/feal of Neutrogena and the other day tried a bit of my old gold standard Nivea balm just to see was this a new thing that was maybe not as good as I think ? and yeah not even close for me Nivea went back to the sidelines (of course YMMV)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Mine is the left one as well. Our friend in Australia thought the regular was good not great (paraphrasing) and I wonder if this could be the reason.

Very interesting. I went to the neutrogena website and found this:

I am not a chemist so I cannot speak to the differences.

Very glad you like it!!

View attachment 1345143

View attachment 1345144

I'm tempted to try this cream. Unfortunately, the particular "Hydro Boost Gel-Cream for extra dry skin" is not regularly being sold in Germany.

However, the product which might replace the HB Gel-Cream extra dry in the german product line is the "HB Aqua Creme". This cream is uncented and intended to use on dry skin, too.

Could anyone pls compare the ingredients list of the "german" version, as below, to the "Gel-Cream" version (as quoted) and share some thoughts...? To me the ingredients list looks at least similar...

Screenshot_20211016-124656_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20211016-124719_Firefox.jpg

I could find the "Hydro Boost Gel-Cream for extra dry skin" on the 'zone Germany though, but it would come for 3x times the price of the german "Aqua Creme due to shipping, that's a bit to steep for my liking... seems to be an imported product.

Last edited:
20211016_164408-01.jpeg
I used the Aqua Creme (which appears to be the European production line sibbling of the HB Gel-Cream extra dry) for the very first time. I'm unsure if it will be a gamechanger for my skin, however, it's reasonable for me to say the HB Aqua Creme is an excellent cream. My skin feels nourished and velvety smooth - my initial impression is it might (!) blow my Nivea after shave balms out of the water, but this verdict has to be confirmed on the long run. It's a big plus that the cream doesn't interfere with my aftershaves or fragrances scent-wise!

I will include it into my post shave routine on a regular basis... we shall see... in any case: the cream is a very good performer and worth a try.
Thank you for pointing me to this product.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
one thing for me is the post some more on that :)

usually if I rub ATG with my hands I can “feel“ I shaved even after a good shave I can feel it some
this takes that away for me within a very short time as in minutes
and from a bad shave its also gone where a bad shave (trying new blades as example) I would usually feel some burn just sitting around and no more :) so does make playing with new blades more relaxed knowing it wont bug me if it goes bad :)

That said !
one of those things I dont do much but I notice :) if I use balm or just AS and rub I for sure can tell I shaved and just takes more time to feel less like I shaved
I can feel this often putting on clothes riding my bike rubbing face or so on again not a huge active feel more something “I DO“ and notice just so its more clear why I think its such a game changer

now I dont always rub my face :) but its their for sure and the irritation is their if rubbed and with this nothing :) so I know its working better than anything

the I sit and watch TV my shaves are not irritating just sitting so its hard to notice then

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am updating this thread now that it is winter.

Happy to report that this product is still outperforming all others I have ever tried.

While my skin is different post shave, compared with the summer, it is not tight, under-moisturized, or angry. This product receives my unreserved recommendation.

Ditto
I can really tell the difference of balms vs splash/Neutrogena :)

this leaves the skin perfect for me YMMV it does have this comfort healing quality the balms do not have also and testing my new lupos its coming in handy :)

I might try a few balms from other companies just to be sure again I have found I just have to try stuff to really know but this has stayed in lead
I do not think anything is going to beat this combo for me though :)

I have found I am loving the pinaud clubman with this :)

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Ditto
I can really tell the difference of balms vs splash/Neutrogena :)

this leaves the skin perfect for me YMMV it does have this comfort healing quality the balms do not have also and testing my new lupos its coming in handy :)

I might try a few balms from other companies just to be sure again I have found I just have to try stuff to really know but this has stayed in lead
I do not think anything is going to beat this combo for me though :)

I have found I am loving the pinaud clubman with this :)
In seriousness, I have some balms I could give you if you would like - lord knows I won't use them.

Top Bottom