What's new

"new" Astra SP?

+1000 on those damned glue spots! They don’t seem to bother the majority of users, but we must be the only ones that get glue on the cutting edge or, my personal favorite, exactly where the barn door closes (safety bar side) so you end up, at a minimum, having to pry the blade out of your razor or, worst case scenario, your blade exposure is a little wonky.

Why do no other PPI blades have as much glue on them or have that much glue by the blade edge?

I’m assuming this isn’t as big of a deal for 3-piece users, but all of my razors are TTOs (minus the qshave).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the GSB blades but I stopped using them for 2 reasons: The shave wasn't that much better then the astra sp for me to justify over double the cost per blade (keep in mind, I once and done my blades with only the occasional second use) and those glue spots are ridiculous.

Most don't seem to mind them except us two. I agree wholeheartedly, they would give wonky blade exposure on my razors (I use merkur 2 piece and a paa 3 piece) and give me very inconsistent shaves because I always have glue spilled over onto the blade edge. Trying to scrape it off results in my fingers getting cut and destroying the blade edge even further.

The Chinese?

If there weren’t already several threads about PPI blades that’ve gotten “facelifts” we could maybe go down the counterfeit-blade-conspiracy road.

After having read responses European vendors/suppliers have gotten from PPI/P&G in regard to the updated product, as well as someone familiar with going’s on at PPI, and having seen pictures of three different “updated” blades next to their old-stock counterparts (Astra, Sputnik, and Perma-Sharp - all PPI blades) the consensus is that they’ve been updated.

As I said previously, I can’t wait until we start getting updated, new-stock, Gillette Silver Blues. The razor blades forum is going to be on fire with “fake GSB” threads.

And then there are "sloppy" printed Astra SP blades. No difference in the shave quality at all however.
Astra compare.JPG
Astra compare2.JPG

I am so glad of this forum!!!

I have just received a pack of 100 from amazon and I was convinced they were fakes. No outer paper wrap and no markings. I had to look close to find the laser etched face. Maybe they are legit??

The 100ct. blades should be in a long branded (meaning logo and what not) cardboard dispenser box. Inside the dispenser box are 20 smaller branded cardboard boxes each holding 5 blades. Each of the blades should be wax paper wrapped and sealed with a little dab of glue. The blades are branded but the wax paper is not, it’s simply slightly see-through.

The 100ct. blades should be in a long branded (meaning logo and what not) cardboard dispenser box. Inside the dispenser box are 20 smaller branded cardboard boxes each holding 5 blades. Each of the blades should be wax paper wrapped and sealed with a little dab of glue. The blades are branded but the wax paper is not, it’s simply slightly see-through.

Yes, this is 100% spot on

I ordered from Amazon a week ago and received the etched version. They are working well for me, and I like the look of the etching.

Yes, this is 100% spot on

Yes, spot on. My older ones had a branded paper wrapper also.

I ordered from Amazon a week ago and received the etched version. They are working well for me, and I like the look of the etching.

I agree pk_. Tried one this morning and it was not quite as smooth and seemed sharper. Maybe psychological but nonetheless a great close irritation free shave.

We're going to be seeing these types of threads for the full gamut of P&G/PPI blades over the next year or so, as vendors and suppliers dwindle their old-stock litho'ed blades and start distributing the new-stock laser-etched blades.

It isn't just the blade printing machine that's been updated, it's also the machine that grinds and hones the blades, due to the printing on the blade being how the old machinery recognized which edge it was grinding/honing. Personally, I'm glad that PPI decided to replace their aging, Soviet-era, machines that likely came with their acquisitions of the defunct Eastern European blade brands we know and love today. I'm glad because that, most likely, means that we'll have top-notch Russian blades, made with the newest technological advancements of making an 120 year old product.

I can't wait until people start getting the laser-etched GSBs and losing their minds...
If that is true, then the new blades would have different qualities, would they not?

If that is true, then the new blades would have different qualities, would they not?
Not necessarily. Theoretically if you ground an identical blade blank on a different machine, that was set to achieve identical grind and hone angles and depths, you'd have the exact same blade from a different machine. I don't think they're trying to put themselves out of business any time soon.

Never seen the variety on the right. But then again, I just bought some 400 Astra SP a few years ago and didn't have to buy more. I only use them in my fatip, which is not my fave razor

Not necessarily. Theoretically if you ground an identical blade blank on a different machine, that was set to achieve identical grind and hone angles and depths, you'd have the exact same blade from a different machine. I don't think they're trying to put themselves out of business any time soon.
Yes. If they used a new machine built to the same older technology specs, as the out-dated Soviet era machines. I'm not sure how likely that is. Even so, I would expect the new machines would have tighter tolerances, meaning the new blades would likely be at least slightly different than the old ones on the more worn equipment.

But I realize we're just conjecturing here.

Yes. If they used a new machine built to the same older technology specs, as the out-dated Soviet era machines. I'm not sure how likely that is. Even so, I would expect the new machines would have tighter tolerances, meaning the new blades would likely be at least slightly different than the old ones on the more worn equipment.

But I realize we're just conjecturing here.
One thing I know is that the ink numbers and logo that was/is printed on razor blades, aside from conveniently letting you know which side of the blade you're using, is how the grinding and honing machines identity which side of the blade has been ground and honed. Some blades have a I/II printed on either side and some are numbered 1-4.

It only stands to reason that, because the numbers are gone, there's been an update to the grinding machines. It may not be an entirely new machine, but it's definitely had some major updates.

The machinery does not "read" the printed information on the blade, it's stamped on them long after they are sharpened. The numbers are for human QC, I suspect.

Razor blade manufacturing has long been fully automated. Blades are stamped out of ribbon stock attached at the ends, basic bevel is ground, they are hardened, tempered, and cryo treated as a ribbon, and final honing may be done before they are separated. I'd guess on modern machinery they are not even hand stacked for edge coatings anymore. Modern equipment has high resolution cameras monitoring the process, with computer control of width and polish.

I'd guess the laser etching has been added somewhere along the way to get rid of the ink stamping. Packaging has probably been automated since the 30's -- some of the videos I've seen have equipment that looks that old.....

I love the GSB blades but I stopped using them for 2 reasons: The shave wasn't that much better then the astra sp for me to justify over double the cost per blade (keep in mind, I once and done my blades with only the occasional second use) and those glue spots are ridiculous.

Most don't seem to mind them except us two. I agree wholeheartedly, they would give wonky blade exposure on my razors (I use merkur 2 piece and a paa 3 piece) and give me very inconsistent shaves because I always have glue spilled over onto the blade edge. Trying to scrape it off results in my fingers getting cut and destroying the blade edge even further.

It's not glue, it's wax. And it has a purpose.

It's not glue, it's wax. And it has a purpose.

I know. It keeps the paper in place to protect the blade edge, as well as keeping the paper closed.

My issue is the amount and the placement on some blades, GSBs in particular. PPI makes so many different brands of blades, which all seem to have different wax(glue)-blob placement on the blades.

Mostochlegmash blades (Rapira, Vostok, Ladas, Sharp Star) all have four tiny dots between the center and the blade edge. PPI blades (the multitude of flavors of Russian Gillette, Polsilver, Astra, Perma-Sharp, Sputnik, etc.) have wax blobs of varying size, amount, and placement.

What about this situation ?

You buy platinum Astra and the brand written in the blades is stainless. These so called stainless do not feel like the real stainless. Are these fake platinums?

Attachments

• 20180124_202106.jpg
    20180124_202106.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20180124_202023.jpg
    20180124_202023.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
@albsat There are 2 blades in the Astra line: Astra superior platinum (green) and Astra superior stainless (blue) they do indeed feel different from each other. In this case it doesn't appear that you got fake astras but that the factory messed up and packaged stainless blades in platinum packaging. Unless the seller opened up their blade packs they would have no idea however I would contact the seller you got them from to let them know. This could be a single 100 pack that was packages incorrectly or it could have been an entire run of blades. Either way, contact the seller who should make good on the proper blades and also to make them aware as they should go through all current inventory.

Top Bottom