What's new

New Apache Strata, old box.

The original Apaches I tested had these beautiful outcrop patterns on it that I really liked so I asked Terry to find something to fit this box that originally housed a vintage coticule I had that split badly. The box is from circa 1910.

This stone is a looker but more importantly it actually slurries easily with my mini 600 DMT. This Apache cost me a bit more than my other 7X2 but I'm not complaining.

View attachment 566739

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by a moderator:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice. I would have never guessed that to be an Apache. The old box is good stuff

My guess would be metamorphosed finely grained sandstone. Which is basically what all the mostly silica stones are... just metamorphosed to different levels. I think he says that he thinks they're close to a chert on the website.

Last edited:
I'm not reading this stone as having a sandy prolith.
I'm beginning to think the Apache might be a phyllite; with, more than likely, a mud/siltstone beginning.
I actually have it on the scope now - but I really need to get dinner or my head is going to explode....

I'm not reading this stone as having a sandy prolith.
I'm beginning to think the Apache might be a phyllite; with, more than likely, a mud/siltstone beginning.
I actually have it on the scope now - but I really need to get dinner or my head is going to explode....

I know this thread is a few months old...but did you ever figure out what the stone was? I have a strata and a red both and as my only finishers they seem to be more than sufficient with the right overall process.

Btw...on topic...I wish my strata was half as pretty as that one!!

I haven't tried his other offerings but I have a black Gila. It's a top tier finisher.
$C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_xe2rkhr.jpg$C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_kv8Usxi.jpg

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, it's pretty much at eye level with a lot of vintage stones you will pay through the nose for. And you don't have to play with slurry which is nice.

That's a lot why I like the strata. I use 3 stones total...all natural. All of my razors are custom so I'll first add one layer of tape. Then I start with a (very hard) Guangxi '2k', with King 1k slurry (I hate the King stones...the dishing is ridiculous...but they cut really nicely...particularly as slurry fodder over a super hard substrate with some tooth of its own), then clean...which is actually very pressure dependent as far as the the equivalent 'grit'...then depending on what the edge feels like I'll usually go to a King 6k slurry on the same stone. This makes for a really pretty 'Jnat' looking bevel. Then I add another layer of tape, and do 30 laps or so on the Apache red...then 10 laps or so on the strata, lightly bridge the edge...and then another 40-50 laps to finish it off. Pull the tape and strop on my own compressed horse butt strop. Honestly the resulting edges have been wicked sharp, and very comfortable.

Going to have to see about buying or trading for a Gila just to see what it does anyway though I guess...lol.

:001_smile

The Apache Strata and Gila are simply easy to use, no slurry, splash and go. It polishes extremely well, what's there not to like, whether or not a user likes its feedback or stroke count is subjective and in my world inconsequential.

The Apache Strata and Gila are simply easy to use, no slurry, splash and go. It polishes extremely well, what's there not to like, whether or not a user likes its feedback or stroke count is subjective and in my world inconsequential.

I have a friend that calls them 'scratch stones' lol. I quite like the shaves I get off mine...though the only other finisher I've tried is a C12k ��.

Tell your friend to lap the stones dead flat so there's no marks left from any diamond plates. That should take care of any errant scratches left on the bevel/edge.

The Apache I had worked well.
The Gila I have now is pretty slick stuff alright...

Top Bottom