What's new

New Altamont grips on K-frames.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Inherited this S&W Model 10 and love it. Never fired, 1975-made, smooth as silk. But it had dated Pachy grips, not pretty. I dug out a pair of the standard issue Goncalo Alves grips for the gun, which I got for $8 at a gunshow. They were OK. Wanting better, I ordered walnut Altamont grips in the classic diamond pattern. With the pencil barrel, felt it should have the 1940s look. I plan to carry in the WWII aviator M3 shoulder holster, so. Here they are...

full

Never ordered from this company and heard mixed reviews, but I really like these! Certain amount of chatoyance in the laminate. Thinner than the S&W grips, the SpeedBeez loader now works great.

Larger hands can grip small grips well, according to what Colt says about Police Positive Special, and conceal carry favors smaller as well. They feel great, to me. Altamont included three sizes of grip screw also, which is a good thing.

Now. My Model 65's ivorylite grips cracked, so while I was ordering, got "silverblack" grips for it (below).

full

There is brown wood in the laminate as well, thought the company made a mistake, but like I very much in good light.

Been shooting revolvers a lot lately, likely because I have been reloading a lot of 38 Special.

While I've always been comfortable with K-frames, even more comfortable now.

Of course, when target shooting, classic oversized magnum grips rule!

full

Comments welcome!

AA

Last edited:
Looks great on the model 10. I bought my model 10 with rubber hogue grips but found some s&w grips on gunbroker.
Your last gun has similar grips to my redhawk, which I’d rather have rubber grips for :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looks great on the model 10. I bought my model 10 with rubber hogue grips but found some s&w grips on gunbroker.
Your last gun has similar grips to my redhawk, which I’d rather have rubber grips for :)

Thanks!

I kinda wanted to match my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, which does have beautiful silver black laminate grips. Good enough!

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Gorgeous. Need a couple pair for my 29-3 and 28-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott, thanks. The poly/lacquer is really nice, considering another pair!

Technically, S&W magna grip style. Name was escaping me earlier.

I did wait five weeks for these, due to covid.

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Thanks, Okie. We have our favorites! Right now it's that Model 10. It just feels like a very natural and quick pointer to me. Never would have chosen the pencil barrel, the bull barrel next to it was my choice. They complement each other, I think. If I feel like carrying the extra weight, I'll pack the Model 65. They use the same holsters...

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks, Okie. We have our favorites! Right now it's that Model 10. It just feels like a very natural and quick pointer to me. Never would have chosen the pencil barrel, the bull barrel next to it was my choice. They complement each other, I think. If I feel like carrying the extra weight, I'll pack the Model 65. They use the same holsters...

AA

I could have cared less about a bunch of old revolvers back in the day. I must be getting older, cuz now they look like beautiful classics and I want one. :)

IMG_0683.jpeg

A proper revolver shall always remain a joy to own.
Here are a pair of Altamont grips on a S&W 629 .44 Magnum and a S&W 66 (no dash, P&R. One of the first ones made)
Altamont grips can be kind of hit or miss, but for the most part I have had decent luck with them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
View attachment 1189963
Here are a pair of Altamont grips on a S&W 629 .44 Magnum and a S&W 66 (no dash, P&R. One of the first ones made)
Altamont grips can be kind of hit or miss, but for the most part I have had decent luck with them.

Yow-zah! Due to self-imposed 9mm and 45 ACP ammo "freezes," I'm shooting revolvers exclusively this year, it seems. Loving it!

Those are among the finest! (I should get a set like yours for my 6" M66!)

That Model 10 of mine went through rubber Hogues (ugly on that gun); $8 Magna stocks (meh); the original grips for the gun were found and installed, they satisfied me for a week - then got the Altamonts. Ah. Much happier. Takes a while.

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
View attachment 1189963
I am missing right now, but am going to work on the rod shortly.

Top Bottom