What's new

New Age Scent

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm 17 so I'm looking for a masculine cologne that smells good. I once tried some of my dad's cologne and a girlfriend said I smelled like an old man. So the scent has to be "new-age" and "young"....if that makes sense. What do you recommend?

Just about anything at the Nordstrom counter. Stay away from the English scents as well as the tradional drug store scents.

I really like the hollister, and curve colognes. They cost around $30 and don't smell like grandpa. And to answer your other question, aqua velva ice sport is a really nice cooling aftershave thats dirt cheap and doesn't make you smell like an old man either. :biggrin:

You don't say what kind of cologne you got from your dad ... how else are we going to steer you away from that genre and onto something else?

And BTW, what's wrong with smelling like an old man? Even if your 17yo girlfriend doesn't like it, there are lots and lots of women (of all ages) that do.

I like Tommy Bahama scents the wife also likes them especially Set Sail Bart, you can pick it up at Belk, or a decant at badgerdecants.com

You don't say what kind of cologne you got from your dad ... how else are we going to steer you away from that genre and onto something else?

And BTW, what's wrong with smelling like an old man? Even if your 17yo girlfriend doesn't like it, there are lots and lots of women (of all ages) that do.

Excellent point. The cologne that my dad used was an old bottle that he found and used for a bit. All I remember is that it had the word "MUSK" on it.

Just the fact that im young, i dont really want to smell like my grandfather :) haha

Anyone try ZIRH Ikon cologne? It looks interesting.

If you're going based on a 17 year old girl's nose, you're probably going to wind up with something like Cool Water, Aqua di Gio, or CK Obsession for Men.

If you want something a little more interesting, try Yves Saint Laurent's Rive Gauche. ;)

Your problem is finding out your girlfriend's frame of reference.

If her Grandpap uses some trendy scent, or knockoff thereof, then that's going to smell like an old man to her.

If you put on some Old Spice, and nobody in her family has used the stuff for about seventeen years (likely to be the case) then it's not an "Old Man Scent", even though it's been around since before WWII.

Find something YOU like. Run it past her.

If that doesn't work, ask her what she likes. I know that sounds like crazy talk, but it is one way to find out. :wink:

I just recently got Versace Man Eau Fraiche, it's a great all around scent... it's very fresh. It's a very subtle scent and non-invasive. I highly recommend it, I got plenty of compliments this past weekend on the dance floor.

Azzaro's "Chrome" is very popular. Personally, I don't believe scents are "new", "old", etc. I think what's most important is to choose things that YOU enjoy, perhaps with input from those close to you. I despise folks who walk about in a fog of perfume that they've apparently bathed in. For that reason, I cannot stand Polo. It takes trial and error to find *your* scent(s). Since everyone has a unique chemistry, the fragrance(s) you choose truly become your own.

If I was 17 and my girlfriend told me that she liked something like Aqua di Gio, I'd be in and out of Belks to grab a bottle so fast that it would make the clerks' heads spin. Splash it on. There will be plenty of time to brood over the depth of a Creed fragrance later on in life. Hurry up--get out to the store right now!

Just about anything at the Nordstrom counter. Stay away from the English scents as well as the tradional drug store scents.

What the hell is wrong with English scents?! Half of my fragrance wardrobe is English - they make the most refined, traditional, manly stuff out there!

I really like the hollister, and curve colognes. They cost around $30 and don't smell like grandpa. And to answer your other question, aqua velva ice sport is a really nice cooling aftershave thats dirt cheap and doesn't make you smell like an old man either. :biggrin:

IMO, you should graduate up from Hollister and Curve around the time you graduate high school. "Safe", but WAY played out and won't make you stand out in the slightest...just "fit in".

Your problem is finding out your girlfriend's frame of reference.

If her Grandpap uses some trendy scent, or knockoff thereof, then that's going to smell like an old man to her.

If you put on some Old Spice, and nobody in her family has used the stuff for about seventeen years (likely to be the case) then it's not an "Old Man Scent", even though it's been around since before WWII.

Find something YOU like. Run it past her.

If that doesn't work, ask her what she likes. I know that sounds like crazy talk, but it is one way to find out. :wink:

This is the best piece of advice you've been given in this thread.

I just recently got Versace Man Eau Fraiche, it's a great all around scent... it's very fresh. It's a very subtle scent and non-invasive. I highly recommend it, I got plenty of compliments this past weekend on the dance floor.

If you're not into seeking out something unique, or even ordering online, Versace Eau Fraiche IS a pretty safe bet if you're simply trying to smell nice for a girl.

If I was 17 and my girlfriend told me that she liked something like Aqua di Gio, I'd be in and out of Belks to grab a bottle so fast that it would make the clerks' heads spin. Splash it on. There will be plenty of time to brood over the depth of a Creed fragrance later on in life. Hurry up--get out to the store right now!

Should fragrance only be worn for this purpose? Maybe I'm biased (as a collector), but I wear fragrances primarily for myself, and those people that take notice and furthermore enjoy them, I feel, have a better sense of my own character, style, preferences etc. (Rather than having tailored these traits to suit someone else's preferences) My point: What do YOU like?

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm in the same "young" boat as you (just turned 19 a few days ago), but I still enjoy powdery scents like Pinaud Clubman. However, I've recently started using T&H's Trafalgar, and to me at least, it smells pretty young. Lee's Razors is having a sale on all T&H stuff right now, so it's quite a bit cheaper than usual.

Should fragrance only be worn for this purpose? Maybe I'm biased (as a collector), but I wear fragrances primarily for myself, and those people that take notice and furthermore enjoy them, I feel, have a better sense of my own character, style, preferences etc. (Rather than having tailored these traits to suit someone else's preferences) My point: What do YOU like?

Should fragrance only be worn for this purpose? I don't think that's the question. The question is: for this purpose, is it worth quibbling about the fragrance? When setting about accomplishing a task, pick the simplest and most effective tool.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris

What the hell is wrong with English scents?! Half of my fragrance wardrobe is English - they make the most refined, traditional, manly stuff out there!

Paris: Nothing is wrong with the English scents - that is about all I use.
There is an "old man" feel about them - which is what he did not want - and I might add is what I like.

Top Bottom