What's new

New Acquisition = best shave for newbie

I have just recently gotten into the wet shaving world after 40 years of irritated skin from shaving. A few weeks ago I bought a Supply 2.0 stainless steel single edge injector razor. I enjoyed the process of the shave, so I decided to dig deeper to see how I could make it better and found a whole world of new and vintage DE razors. I bought a few very nice vintage razors and they just came in the mail yesterday. I got a 1959 Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable and a 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable. I just shaved with the fat boy on 6 with an Astra blade after shaving the last 2 weeks with the Supply 2.0 and boy is there a huge difference. I never would have thought there would have been such a difference but I just achieved the best (Most enjoyable) shave I have ever had. I also have a much closer shave with a lot less irritation in 2 passes than I have been able to accomplish with the Supply 2.0 with 3-4 passes. Maybe I have been struggling to find the right angle with the Supply, but for me there was a night a day difference. I still have a 1940 Gillette Tech and a brand new Rex Ambassador Adjustable on the way. So now it is time to start playing around with different blades, soaps, brushes and aftershaves.

1959 Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable.jpg
1959 Gillette Ft Boy Adjustable 2.jpg
1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable 1.jpg
1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable 2.jpg
1940 Gillette Silver Tech 1.jpg
1940 Gillette Silver Tech 2.jpg
1940 Gillette Silver Tech 3.jpg
1959 Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable.jpg
1959 Gillette Ft Boy Adjustable 2.jpg
1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable 1.jpg
1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable 2.jpg
1940 Gillette Silver Tech 1.jpg
1940 Gillette Silver Tech 2.jpg
1940 Gillette Silver Tech 3.jpg

That looks like a Tech I saw on Etsy, same wood display and all. I may have even had it in my faves. Nice. Refining your Tech-nique 😏 with 1 razor then to moving on a rotational basis may yield more satisfactory results.

Enjoy the vintage journey.

I can already tell that I need to work on technique and adjusting the razor to less aggressive settings as I change cross-grain and against the grain. It was a very close shave but it is a little sensitive with a little razor burn in spots.

It looks like you got the RAD really bad!! All joking aside those are some nice acquisitions. You might want to give that Supply more than a couple of weeks before giving up on it. I like mine!

I have trouble with the Supply 2.0 as well. Going to revisit it one of these days to see if I can improve on it but we may be in the camp of people who just can’t get it to work for us. Great workmanship on the razor though. I don’t regret supporting them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I really enjoy my Gillette Fatboy E4(1959) and my Slim H1(1962) and both can give excellent shaves. I like to start out on 7 and then go up to 8 on the settings for both razors. WTG>7 + ATG>8 + pickups>8 seems to work very nicely, My Technique has matured over the last 4 years so the higher settings work well for my self.

I have been happy shaving with either an above the tie DE or gem single edge for the past decade.

For some reason I decided to look online recently to see what's available.

Now I have a core oneblade, twig, leaf, and rex envoy added to the hoarde.

And I keep eyeing the supply Se for some reason.

Rad is real.

Top Bottom