What's new

New 44 mag rifle

Nice looking little carbine. I realize the handiness of a carbine, but for some reason just prefer a full length rifle. I have a Marlin 1894 cowboy rifle, 24"barrel in 44 mag. That cartridge is in another league if compared to a pistol of the same caliber. My only two carbines are both levers, a Marlin 39a Mountie, .22LR and a 1894CL in 32-20.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I had a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag when along with my Super Blackhawk Hunter in the same caliber. It was a fun cartridge and easy to load down to 44 Special for plinking. I also had the same setup in 45 Colt and found myself shooting the 45 Colt most often so I sold off my 44 Mags.

I had a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag when along with my Super Blackhawk Hunter in the same caliber. It was a fun cartridge and easy to load down to 44 Special for plinking. I also had the same setup in 45 Colt and found myself shooting the 45 Colt most often so I sold off my 44 Mags.
I plan on buying a 44 mag backpacking revolver in the future so I’m hoping 2 guns one caliber. 45 colt is a cool round. Ruger only offered 44 or 357 in the carbine I bought.

Well I finally got to shoot this carbine. I had purchased quite an array of popular 44 mag hunting loads. I broke the barrel in with a half box of Winchester white box flat nose soft points. It was a very easy break in. The barrel cleans very easy and fast now. Shooting conditions were perfect.

I could only get 4 inch groups at 100 yards with the WWB. I moved to some popular Hornady, Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammunition. The gun is pretty picky. It was 3-5 inch groups of 5 shots as a norm until I got to the Underwood ammo. I was getting a little frustrated at this point after spending a ton of money on a bunch of poor shooting ammo. The 180 grain hollow point shot Underwood smaller groups just over 2 inches. That made me feel better. The Underwood 160 grain extreme hunter solid copper shot the best. 1.75 to 2 inch 5 shot groups for all 20 rounds. This is a fast light round and seems to be the best out of this gun. I didn’t shoot it at 150 yards as I ran out of ammo, but I’ll be ordering more now that I know how it shoots.

Top Bottom