What's new

New 44 mag rifle

Well, I had a beautiful m29-3, 8 3/8 nickel plated in my safe. I have had it since I bought it used in 96. I did shoot it a few times back then, but not since. I always wanted to use it for hunting around home as I live in the “shotgun only zone” of Michigan and pistols were legal. I don’t hunt often around home because I have a great camp in the upper peninsula and rifles are legal up there. Long story short, this beautiful revolver sat unused waiting for a scope for over 20 years. I decided I might trade it..... First time I have actually contemplated getting rid of any gun. Worst case, if I didn’t like the deal, I would get a nice red dot and try hunting with it.

I had been discussing a rifle with my brother for use in the ” shotgun only zone” as they have now started allowing straight wall cartridges with a length restriction. I looked at a 450 bushmaster, 350 legend and a couple other rifles that were essentially built for use in our Midwest shotgun zones. I was leaning towards the 350 legend as I wanted it to be usable by my 10 year old son. I was terribly unimpressed with the offerings. I just hate plastic stocks. I know, they are probably better and more all weather, but I just love wood stocks. Anyhow, I was complaining about the plastic stocks to the owner of the gun shop I was at and he recommended a Ruger 77/44 44 mag carbine with a walnut stock. He used one for decades in southern Michigan for years and loved it. Well, I picked it up and fell in love. 5 pounds and super short. A perfect carbine for multiple reasons. Plus, I just love the Mauser action on M77’s...and he knew that...

So I traded my beautiful revolver for a new rifle....
07245782-0028-48C1-9CB9-F5EAE28126FB.jpeg

I put a really nice Redfield scope on it. I know it seems counterintuitive to put that scope on a carbine, but it’ll get used in a blind and we shoot most our bucks in the last or first minutes of daylight and a good scope makes the day a few minutes longer. I do very little stalking anymore and I have a great old 336 for those days.

Anyhow, I won’t even shoot this until spring, but I am already buying different ammo to try. I hear they are picky with ammo when it comes to accuracy. My buddy that has one uses the 225 grain leverevolution from Hornady and loves the performance. He shoots a lot of nice bucks so that ammo is on my list to try for sure. Do any of you guys shoot a 44 mag rifle? What ammo do you use?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Seems like the thing to do - and a fine rifle/scope combo!

Go fill that freezer. The pistola was too large and shiny, anyhoo!

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nice carbine! I'm sure you'll love it. No personal experience with a .44 mag. rifle, but always wanted one. I wish I had bought one of Ruger's semi-auto .44 mag. carbines back in the day. Not sure, but I think there were some issues with those anyways.

Nice carbine! I'm sure you'll love it. No personal experience with a .44 mag. rifle, but always wanted one. I wish I had bought one of Ruger's semi-auto .44 mag. carbines back in the day. Not sure, but I think there were some issues with those anyways.
I have a friend with 3 of those carbines. 2 work flawlessly. 1 is a jammer, but it was his dads so it’s still a keeper. He loves the guns. They are really expensive now... I am always scared of buying used semi auto guns.

Nice gun.

I don't shoot a .44 rifle, but shoot alot out of revolvers. As far as ammo goes, the only way to afford shoot much is to reload...Matter of fact, my press is set up and loading .44 right now.

Nice gun.

I don't shoot a .44 rifle, but shoot alot out of revolvers. As far as ammo goes, the only way to afford shoot much is to reload...Matter of fact, my press is set up and loading .44 right now.
Every day I feel the need to start reloading a little bit more.....

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Some years, I go through 10 to 12k rounds of centerfire handgun ammo. I couldn't do it if I didnt reload.

I’m probably about half that. And half of that is municipal and the other half personal ammo. I probably hit 10-12K if I count rifle ammo.

I have a friend with 3 of those carbines. 2 work flawlessly. 1 is a jammer, but it was his dads so it’s still a keeper. He loves the guns. They are really expensive now... I am always scared of buying used semi auto guns.
Has your friend checked to see if the slide is dragging on the inside of the stock? I had one that would stovepipe when the weather changed, and taking a few scraper shavings off the inside helped a lot.

OkieStubble

Yeah, that's all on my dime. I retired from shooting the taxpayers ammo a couple of years ago...lol

What’s the list of calibers and the amount of each you shoot every year? I’m mostly, shooting about 3k apiece in 9mm and .40 and at least 6k in .556. That’s the lion’s share anyway.

I have shot other calibers, .380, .38. .357 magnum .45 acp .357 Sig but I’m sure they can be estimated in just a few sporadic boxes here and there. The same goes for other rifle calibers which I just haven’t found the time to hunt or shoot them. Maybe a box of .308 a year? I shot my Marlin .30-.30 a few times last year, but definitely haven’t put 50 rounds thru it in the 3 years I’ve had it.

I put at least a brick thru the Ruger 10/22 with the Grandson and do shoot a good share of shotgun shells every year, but I have a Savage .270 I haven’t hunted with or even shot going on like 5 years now.

I have got to quit working so much and give some of my guns some daylight.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have many guns that I have not shot in many years, I can't wait till all I have time for is to shoot them all again on a regular basis.

I have built a few bolt guns in .44 mag on No. 4 Mk1 Lee Enfield actions (cheap and plentiful here). The .44 mag is an outstanding cast bullet cartridge in a bolt gun. I'll bet you're going to find the Ruger one of your favourites.
So many bullet molds available in .44! If you're not a bullet caster yet, it's a rabbit hole even deeper than shaving...

Okie,

The bulk of my shooting is .357 magnum. At one time, I was easily shooting 1k a month. I go through spells that I will shoot alot of .45 ACP and .44 magnum, but not nearly as much as the .357. I am set up to load other calibers, but don't shoot all that much of them.

As far as rifles go, I don't shoot a high volume, but still load for them. I am set up to load several calibers.

I burn through a lot of .22 because I shoot in matches....like metallic silhouette, 50 yard benchrest, and peep sight matches.

I shoot the 12k shotgun shells at clays. I have skeet, trap, and 5 stand available and shoot 2-3 days a week.

I have been shooting high volumes for years. I figure ammo into my annual budget like insurance and taxes....lol

Last edited:
Has your friend checked to see if the slide is dragging on the inside of the stock? I had one that would stovepipe when the weather changed, and taking a few scraper shavings off the inside helped a lot.
He has been screwing with it for years. I’ll pass that on. Thanks.

OkieStubble

Okie,

The bulk of my shooting is .357 magnum. At one time, I was easily shooting 1k a month. I go through spells that I will shoot alot of .45 ACP and .44 magnum, but not nearly as much as the .357. I am set up to load other calibers, but don't shoot all that much of them.

As far as rifles go, I don't shoot a high volume, but still load for them. I am set up to load several calibers.

I burn through a lot of .22 because I shoot in matches....like metallic silhouette, 50 yard benchrest, and peep sight matches.

I shoot the 12k shotgun shells at clays. I have skeet, trap, and 5 stand available and shoot 2-3 days a week.

I have been shooting high volumes for years. I figure ammo into my annual budget like insurance and taxes....lol

Do you load and crimp your own shells? And yeah, I do too. I just gathered $4,000 and some change in ammo receipts for the wife. She's my tax guy. :)

Top Bottom