What's new

never talked about, hardly ever seen..

i managed to score this auto strop in a lot of razors last week. the only other one ive seens handle is rounded at the bottom and has a late 1920s head. this handle is the earlier flat bottom knurled variety, and the head is the first (not counting the prototypes). the SN puts it around 1913.

i put a normal size valet next to it for size comparison. from what ive HEARD theres only 5 known, but i cant be positive of that.

Interesting Dave, I'll have to dig out the three Valets that I own and give them each a closer look. I'll report in later this evening.

Dave, Is that all there was to the handle, or was there an extension beyond that stubby length? I can't imagine using a razor with such a short handle.

I've got a pretty good sized pile of Autostrops, but nothing with a handle like that.

Regards,
Tom

i didn't notice how short the handle was until looking at the second picture. i would never have expected a handle to be so short. unless on a razor intended for travel.

Dave, Is that all there was to the handle, or was there an extension beyond that stubby length? I can't imagine using a razor with such a short handle.

I've got a pretty good sized pile of Autostrops, but nothing with a handle like that.

Regards,
Tom

nope, thats the full handle. heres the picture of another one, an early 1930s model:

proxy.php

Check out the lovely gears on the hinge, like the wheels on pattern markers or dough trimmers. Dave, can you show us a pic with the hinge open?

I have an Ever Ready "Streamline" set that includes a razor and stropper. The stropper mechanism is exactly the same as Dave's. Dave was also good enough to educate me on how to use it. The "hinge" doesn't open, one slides the blade into the holder.

I have another Ever Ready stropper that has the identical head, and the handle is 2 1/4 long, not as short as the one pictured, but pretty small.

Last edited:
Top Bottom