What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
365 Shaves in 2023: 33 of 33 = 100%
View attachment 1599304
Razor: Greencult v1 (Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (1)
View attachment 1599306View attachment 1599307
Brush: @apshaveco White (@apshaveco 26mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Pre de Provance No 63
View attachment 1599305
Aftershave: Lustray Draggon
Fragrance: Classic Match Noir

Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (applied at bedtime)

Exploring the Greencult v1 some more today. Really like the balance and feel with the Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle. Today's blade is the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum. Decent match for the v1. An efficient and comfortable shave!

Using the AP Shave Co White with 26mm G5C Fan today. Very comfortable in hand. Effortlessly built a beautiful lather with the PdP No 63. Wonderful brush!

Going with Pre de Provance No 63 Soap, Lustray Draggon Aftershave and Classic Match Noir EdT Spray as my shaving software for the rest of the week. Love the scent. Wonderful combination!

Excellent DFS shave! :cool:
I have a bottle of Lustray Draggon Noir in my den. My Lovely GF really likes this one. I still can't place the scent, however. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a bottle of Lustray Draggon Noir in my den. My Lovely GF really likes this one. I still can't place the scent, however. :)

The advertised scent profile from Clubman: "begins with pineapple, rosemary, and basil with ending notes, masculine scents of oakmoss, musk, and tonka bean".

I like to use Draggon as the aftershave and then use Classic Match Noir as the EdT spray. Similar scent profiles. Just wish that they both lasted longer. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 34 of 34 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
20230203_121501~2.jpg

Razor: Joris Classic - Thujawood and Palladium
Blade: German Bolzano (2)
20230203_121634~2.jpg

Brush: Omega EVO

20230203_121540~2.jpg

Aftershave: Lustray Draggon (decanted in an old Stetson bottle)

Went with the Joris Classic - Thujawood and Palladium again for Fatip Friday. Same comments as last week apply!

With DecemBOAR and BADGERary, I haven't used the Omega EVO for a long time. Wonderful brush. I've missed it!

Going with Pre de Provance No 63 Soap, Lustray Draggon Aftershave and Classic Match Noir EdT Spray as my shaving software for the rest of the week. Love the scent. Wonderful combination!

Wow, the EVO handle is a lot bigger than what I thought from the product pages. I love your photos David, I've said that before, but your consistency is so good that now after reading your posts for a while I can pretty much judge the size of anything now against your ever-present copper bowl in the backgound.

THANK YOU! And great brush, that handle looks comfortable.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The advertised scent profile from Clubman: "begins with pineapple, rosemary, and basil with ending notes, masculine scents of oakmoss, musk, and tonka bean".

I like to use Draggon as the aftershave and then use Classic Match Noir as the EdT spray. Similar scent profiles. Just wish that they both lasted longer. :)
I'm a big fan of the Lustray Spice. It has a permanent place in my den.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 35 of 35 = 100%
20230204_160443~2.jpg

Razor: Henson V2+++ (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2)
20230204_160608~2.jpg

Brush: @apshaveco Candy Stripe (26mm MiG Premium Synthetic - Hybrid Shape)

20230204_160509~2.jpg

Aftershave: Lustray Draggon (decanted in an old Stetson bottle)

I've never "clicked" with Henson razors (or the Winning Razor, for that matter). Too much "drag", plus not effective enough for my face/skin/beard. Figured I'd try a more efficient Henson (the Al V2+++) and see if I can get it to work for me.
The Al V2+++ is definitely more efficient than my Al13 Medium. I can actually see some blade:
20230204_160652~2.jpg

The shave with the Al V2+++ is definitely much better (on my face/skin/beard) than my original Al13 Medium. The V2+++ is more efficient and comparably smooth. I still feel some drag, which reduces the nimble & maneuverable score and knocks the predictable score down a notch. Overall, the Henson Al V2+++ provides a very smooth and comfortable shave. Not too bad at all!

The AP Shave Co Candy Stripe is a very comfortable handle. The 26mm MiG Synthetic (Hybrid Shape) knot definitely reminds me of the STF. This is a very good synthetic brush that provides excellent results!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 36 of 36 = 100%
Synthetic Sunday
20230205_120121~5.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie Mixed Metal CM1 (Stainless Cap, Copper Base, Titanium Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (3)
20230205_120243~2.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2022 Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)

Lather: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream
20230205_120144~2.jpg

Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

Having enjoyed a very nice shave with the Henson Al V2+++, I wanted to compare it to a mild, but effective, Big Dog with which I am very familiar: the Above The Tie Mixed Metal CM1 (Stainless Cap, Copper Base, Titanium Handle). The ATT CM1 is more expensive than the Henson, which I kept in mind. This post will detail today's shave. I'll comment further on the ATT vs the Henson in a subsequent post.
The ATT CM1 is a joy to use. With the (shortened by @Rosseforp) TiBam 80mm Radiator Handle, the balance is great and overall weight is very manageable. The CM1 is a mild, but still efficient enough to get the job done, razor. It's fairly nimble & maneuverable, impressively smooth and very predictable. Quite effective overall. Plus, it loves a steep angle! The ATT Mixed Metal CM1 can easily be used every day and is firmly ensconced in my Big Dogs Category!

The Rudy Vey B&B 2022 Contributors Brush with the awesome Mühle 25mm STF knot is right at the top of my favorite synthetic brushes. I could use this brush every day and be quite happy!

Going with Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream, Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray as my shaving software this week. Wonderful combination!

Superb DFS shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Looking at my shaves over the past two with the Henson V2+++ and the ATT Mixed Metal CM1 has been very instructive. The Henson provides a lot of audible feedback, is more efficient and has a much better feel on my face then the original Al medium that I have. The ATT, while not as efficient, is much smoother with almost no audible feedback and is very very controlled. I can easily go ATG on my top lip with the CM1. The CM1 changes how I approach the shave. With the Henson, things are very straightforward - three pass + touch-ups and I'm done. With the CM1 it's three passes but then I'm able to do much finer touch-ups and really be able to get an area smoothed out without irritation, without worrying about nicking myself or anything like that.

This turned out to be a very interesting comparison between two very different razors.

So.....the CM1 remains firmly ensconced in my Big Dogs Category. The Henson Al V2+++ is sticking around in (at the very least) the Occasional Use Category as a result of performance that surprised me - in a good way. :)

Last edited:
Very interesting comparison, I am going to have to look up the spec on that ATT because I am not familiar with it. Your conclusion about the Henson is perfect and fair. The Ti version provides some additional stability and less noise, but straightforward is the perfect descriptor. It gets the job done, but the Ti doesn't add much more objectively.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very interesting comparison, I am going to have to look up the spec on that ATT because I am not familiar with it. Your conclusion about the Henson is perfect and fair. The Ti version provides some additional stability and less noise, but straightforward is the perfect descriptor. It gets the job done, but the Ti doesn't add much more objectively.
Appreciate the feedback. :)

I was lucky enough to get all three of the ATT Copper plates when they were available:

CM1 - Mild Efficiency
CR1 - Medium Efficiency
CH1 - High Efficiency

From an efficiency perspective, the Henson Al V2+++ is a bit more efficient than the CR1.

I like to periodically use the CM1 because it is so smooth and comfortable. If I want to kick it up half a notch, I change out the Stainless Windsor Pro Cap for the Stainless Classic Cap. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 37 of 37 = 100%
Mühle Monday
20230206_114218~2.jpg

Razor: Frankenrazor - Mühle R41/SLOC Rosegold
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4)
20230206_114335~2.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2022 Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)

20230206_114239~2.jpg

Shaving with the Frankenrazor Mühle R41/SLOC Rosegold combines the best traits of both razors. The R41/SLOC is efficient, smooth and effective. A great value that provides an excellent and very pleasant shave!

Used the Rudy Vey B&B 2022 Contributors Brush with the Mühle 25mm STF knot again today. Yes, it is that good!

Stayed with Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream, Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray as my shaving software this week. Wonderful combination!

Excellent DFS+ shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 38 of 38 = 100%
Timeless Tuesday
20230207_104254~2.jpg

Razor: Timeless Ti Slim SB (Timeless Crown TRH8 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (5)
20230207_104358~2.jpg

Brush: @apshaveco Lemon Drop (AP Shave Co 24mm G5C Fan)

20230206_114239~2.jpg

Haven't shaved with my Timeless Ti Slim in some time. The Timeless Ti Slim SB is efficient, very smooth and very effective! My favorite Timeless and a solid Big Dog!

The AP Shave Co Lemon Drop brush with the 24mm G5C Fan is fantastic. Lathers great. Really comfortable. One of my top synthetic brushes!

Stayed with Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream, Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray as my shaving software this week. Wonderful combination!

Superb DFS shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Morning after impressions of the shave with the Timeless Ti Slim. My face still feels great. I'm impressed with how nimble and maneuverable the Timeless Ti Slim with the the Ti Crown handle feels in use. This is a razor that I could definitely use every day. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blade is a great match for the Timeless Ti Slim. This is a razor that I need to use more often - it is that good. Definitely in the upper tier of the Big Dogs. Possibly an Alpha DE Honorable Mention. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm on the waiting list for the Athena, which seems to be the newest razor of the moment, but I'm also on the waiting list for a Wolfman TI WR2 1.25 SB head. We'll see which one comes up first. My inclination is to go for the Wolfman. I really like titanium razors. I don't know that I need another big heavy razor, which the Athena appears to be. It looks beautiful with its handle, so I'm not sure I'd be able to stick another handle on it. I really like my WR2 1.25 SB in stainless. I just think it'll shave better in titanium, just as the Blackbird titanium shaves better to me than either the brass or the the stainless Blackbirds.

Just some ruminations from my brain on a Wednesday morning, but I think I'm definitely leaning towards just going for the Titanium WR2 1.25 SB head and seeing how that compares to the stainless.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I admire the Athena in owners’ pictures and their prose describing the shave.

The handle isn’t likely to make the Light Handle Fanboi list in Earth’s atmosphere.

Just imagining the exchange amongst the Lambda Club:

Shaver One: Dude?! Your arms and shoulders are huge! Getting ready for the beach?

Shaver Two: No, I just started buffing on my cleanup pass

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
It looks beautiful with its handle, so I'm not sure I'd be able to stick another handle on it. I really like my WR2 1.25 SB in stainless.

The handle isn’t likely to make the Light Handle Fanboi list in Earth’s atmosphere.
This Athena handle will make the LHF list! :cornut:
20230201_212026.jpg
20230201_212053.jpg

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Just imagining the exchange amongst the Lambda Club:

Shaver One: Dude?! Your arms and shoulders are huge! Getting ready for the beach?

Shaver Two: No, I just started buffing on my cleanup pass

As good as I'm sure (from the positive comments by folks who I respect) the Athena shaves, it's not (considering size and weight alone) going to score all that high on the nimble & maneuverable attribute. On my Overall Alpha Big Dog ranking, even the Rocnel Sailor (which I really like) is around number 5 or 6 due to a lower score on the nimble & maneuverable attribute.

Top Bottom