never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 157 of 159 = 98.7%
Blackland Brotherhood
High Efficiency June 2022
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
20220607_203647~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors ERA Level 5 SB (@Rosseforp LHF 25g Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5 and retired)
Brush: AP Shave Co White (AP Shave Co G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Fragrance: Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray

The Blackland Razors ERA Level 5 SB is an efficient razor that is also nice and smooth. Using my standard steep angle 3-Pass plus Touchup pass shave, I got a very nice DFS+ or so shave. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation. Also, I like the balance of the ERA Level 5 SB when paired with a lighter handle, like the @Rosseforp LHF 25g Handle. Using a lighter handle improves the ERA's nimble & maneuverable attributes and contributes to the excellent performance. Bottom line: the ERA Level 5 SB is at least in my Runs With The Big Dogs Category. An effective razor and an excellent value for the money! :thumbup:
20220607_203825~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co White (26mm G5C Fan) is an outstanding brush. Really like the G5C Fan knot. Lathers great and feels great! :thumbup:
20220607_154125~2.jpg

Same Soap, Aftershave and Fragrance as yesterday. Very satisfying and enjoyable! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

365 Shaves in 2022: 157 of 159 = 98.7%
Blackland Brotherhood
View attachment 1469125
Razor: Blackland Razors ERA Level 5 SB (@Rosseforp LHF 25g Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5 and retired)
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Fragrance: Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray

The Blackland Razors ERA Level 5 SB is an efficient razor that is also nice and smooth. Using my standard steep angle 3-Pass plus Touchup pass shave, I got a very nice DFS+ or so shave. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation. Also, I like the balance of the ERA Level 5 SB when paired with a lighter handle, like the @Rosseforp LHF 25g Handle. Using a lighter handle improves the ERA's nimble & maneuverable attributes and contributes to the excellent performance. Bottom line: the ERA Level 5 SB is at least in my Runs With The Big Dogs Category. An effective razor and an excellent value for the money! :thumbup:
View attachment 1469126
The AP Shave Co White (26mm G5C Fan) is an outstanding brush. Really like the G5C Fan knot. Lathers great and feels great! :thumbup:
View attachment 1469127
Same Soap, Aftershave and Fragrance as yesterday. Very satisfying and enjoyable! :thumbup:

How does the efficiency and post shave feel compare with the Rex Envoy, Vector and the Blackbird?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I prefer the Vector, all of the Blackbirds and the Envoy over the ERA.

As a person prone to simplistic thinking (i.e. Better clamping fixing all the world’s woes. After all, that Vector chomps down on a honking thick bad boy for all the rigidity…), your enjoyment of the results provided by less rigidly constructed DEs lets me think about the issues in a less Manichaean manner. After all, if that one feature were the universal be-all to effective shaving, we’d all be using blocks of friction-forged ”powder” steel with a sharpened 120° angle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
And please don't interpret my comments as anything other than a relative ranking of those four razors.

The ERA is a really good razor and, at $75, is an incredibly good value. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 158 of 160 = 98.8%
20220608_211521~2.jpg

Razor: R41 Frankenrazor (Mühle R41 Plate, Yintal Brass Cap, GSC R41+ Rose Gold Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

This R41 Frankenrazor is really cool! Combined the Mühle R41 Plate with a Yintal Brass Cap and the Rose Gold Handle from a GSC R41+. Looks fantastic together! Using my standard steep angle 3-Pass plus Touchup pass shave, I got a very nice DFS+ result with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation. Highly efficient + moderately smooth + moderately nimble & maneuverable = an effective razor that is actually going to make it into my Extended, Occasional Use Category. Looks good and shaves great! :thumbup:
20220608_211718~2.jpg

20220608_211626~2.jpg

PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu is an awesome soap. There are very few soaps out there with performance this good. :thumbup:
20220609_075212~2.jpg

Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum provides a wonderful finish to my shave! Sprayed on Classic Match Volatile EdT Spray before going out for the day. Bold scent! Very satisfying! :thumbup:

So, between the Vector and the Blackbird which has less blade feel and which is easier to control. With respect to controlling the steep shave angle.

I’m thinking the Envoy trumps the ERA.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So, between the Vector and the Blackbird which has less blade feel and which is easier to control. With respect to controlling the steep shave angle.

I’m thinking the Envoy trumps the ERA.
Kind of "apples and oranges" because of the different feel of an AC blade vs a DE blade.

Also depends on which AC blade and which plate (SB vs OC) I use on the Vector.

So.....The Vector, Blackbird and Envoy all have a noticeable amount of blade feel. I happen to like razors with blade feel. The Vector is rock solid by virtue of the AC blade format. The Blackbirds have more audible feedback than the Vector or the Envoy.

The ERA has little to no blade feel and little to no audible feedback. Almost have to double check to make sure that I remembered to put in a blade. ;)

In order: Vector, Ti Blackbird, Brass Blackbird, Stainless Blackbird, Envoy, ERA.

Of note: Any one of these razors could easily be my Daily Driver. :001_wub:

Kind of "apples and oranges" because of the different feel of an AC blade vs a DE blade.

Also depends on which AC blade and which plate (SB vs OC) I use on the Vector.

So.....The Vector, Blackbird and Envoy all have a noticeable amount of blade feel. I happen to like razors with blade feel. The Vector is rock solid by virtue of the AC blade format. The Blackbirds have more audible feedback than the Vector or the Envoy.

The ERA has little to no blade feel and little to no audible feedback. Almost have to double check to make sure that I remembered to put in a blade. ;)

In order: Vector, Ti Blackbird, Brass Blackbird, Stainless Blackbird, Envoy, ERA.

Of note: Any one of these razors could easily be my Daily Driver. :001_wub:
Food for thought.
My experience would have the Vector with the most blade feel and the Envoy with much less. This does agree with your list.

I also received the Feather AC Professional Blade and the Feather AC Proguard Blade almost a week ago, so I have plenty to check out.

The Vector will get a fair shake out.

Thanks for the feedback.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Food for thought.
My experience would have the Vector with the most blade feel and the Envoy with much less. This does agree with your list.

I also received the Feather AC Professional Blade and the Feather AC Proguard Blade almost a week ago, so I have plenty to check out.

The Vector will get a fair shake out.

Thanks for the feedback.
You are most welcome! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220609 (Shave #2)
365 Shaves in 2022: 159 of 160 = 99.4%
20220609_213610~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CM1
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)

Shaved early this morning and decided to go for a nice mild shave before turning in for the night. :)

The ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CM1 razor provides a mild, smooth and comfortable shave. Overall a really nice mellow shave with top tier results! :thumbup:
20220609_213702~2.jpg

20220609_213738~2.jpg

Same Brush, Bowl, Soap and Aftershave as I used for my morning shave. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 160 of 161 = 99.4%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
20220610_132231~2.jpg

Razor: Schöne OC
Blade: German Bolzano (1)
Brush: Omega EVO

The Schöne is a wonderful razor. Smooth, efficient and effective! :thumbup:
20220610_132307~2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding brush and one of my favorite brushes - of any type! :thumbup:
20220610_132349~2.jpg

Same Soap, Aftershave and Fragrance as yesterday. Very bold, satisfying and enjoyable! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 161 of 162 = 99.4%
20220611_093236~2.jpg

Razor: R41 Frankenrazor (Mühle R41 Plate, Yintal Bronze Cap, GSC R41+ Rose Gold Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5 and retired)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)

Decided to take another spin with the R41 Frankenrazor (with thanks to @BradWorld, original discussion here: First time with the dreaded R41 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/first-time-with-the-dreaded-r41.608718/). As always, used my standard steep angle 3-Pass plus Touchup pass shave. Once again, I got a very nice DFS+ to DFS++ result with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation. Highly efficient + smooth + moderately nimble & maneuverable = a very effective razor. I must say that I'm beginning to like this R41 Frankenrazor more than the stock R41. Right now, this version of the R41 Frankenrazor is in my Extended, Occasional Use Category but, if it continues to impress me, it may move up. Looks good and shaves great! :thumbup:
20220611_093333~2.jpg

The Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E with TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot is one of my preferred synthetic brushes. Great combination of handle and knot. :thumbup:
20220610_132231~2.jpg

Same Soap, Aftershave and Fragrance as yesterday. Very bold, satisfying and enjoyable! :thumbup

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 162 of 163 = 99.4%
Blackland Brotherhood
Single Edge Sunday
20220611_200343~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co Ruby Ripple (AP Shave Co 24mm Cashmere knot)

My feelings regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB are well documented. In all respects, this was a superlative, top tier shave. The Vector surpasses expectations for all of my required attributes: Efficient + Smooth + Nimble&Maneuverable = Highly Effective! :thumbup:
20220611_200518~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co Ruby Ripple 24mm Cashmere is a neat little brush. Very cost effective and very, very enjoyable! :thumbup:
20220611_200813~2.jpg

Same Soap, Aftershave and Fragrance as yesterday. Very bold, satisfying and enjoyable! :thumbup

Superb Top Tier Shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I might have to back down to the Protouch MG. The KAI Captain Titan Mild Pink does not appear to be a daily driver for me (yet)!!! I think that is what YMMV is for!!!
:a17:
Use what is most comfortable to you. The Vector is still plenty effective with the Kai Protouch MG. Used the same number and types of passes that I use with a Schick Proline blade. Very similar results. :)

Top Bottom