What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Pre-War = Triangles.

Post-War = Ovals.

Considerably different? Not to me.

In my opinion, the Pre-War Tech is slightly more efficient than the Post-War Tech. I also prefer, by a small margin, the Canadian Pre- and Post-War versions.

The Post-War has better blade support, but I get slightly better shaves with the Pre-War. Go figure.....

Both are really smooth and work when using a steep angle (with appropriate minimal pressure).
Need to add the following: When the mood strikes for a Fat Handle Tech, I reach for the Pre-War probably 3 out of 4 shaves.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pre-War = Triangles.

Post-War = Ovals.

Considerably different? Not to me.

In my opinion, the Pre-War Tech is slightly more efficient than the Post-War Tech. I also prefer, by a small margin, the Canadian Pre- and Post-War versions.

The Post-War has better blade support, but I get slightly better shaves with the Pre-War. Go figure.....

Both are really smooth and work when using a steep angle (with appropriate minimal pressure).

Thanks, David. It's an interesting group of razors.

I have several of them, mostly post-war, all American I think but I'm not sure. I hardly ever have used them.

Do you use 'em steep.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, David. It's an interesting group of razors.

I have several of them, mostly post-war, all American I think but I'm not sure. I hardly ever have used them.

Do you use 'em steep.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yes I do, with gentle but appropriate pressure. I use a shallower angle if I end up buffing.

Blades I enjoy with my Pre- and Post-War Techs are Feather, Kai, Wizamet Super Iridium, Perma-Sharp, Personna Israeli Platinum Red and Personna Med Prep.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 316 for 316 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20211112_094944~2.jpg

Razor: Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE OC (Grande Handle)
Blade: German Bolzano (5 and retired)
Brush: RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive (28mm Plissoft knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Pre de Provance No. 63
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

The combination of the Fatip Piccolo SE + the German Bolzano is a total pleasure to use. Efficient, Smooth and Effective. :thumbup:
20211112_095017~2.jpg

The RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive brush easily whips up a great lather. A very comfortable and efficient brush. :thumbup:

Pre de Provance No. 63 is my soap this week. PdP 63 is an excellent soap. Lathers easily. Great face feel. Great performance! :thumbup:
20211112_095058~2.jpg

Went with the classic Pinaud Clubman Aftershave for Clubman Friday. Finished with the complementary Cuba Orange EdT Spray. :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

365 Shaves in 2021: 316 for 316 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
View attachment 1361903
Razor: Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE OC (Grande Handle)
Blade: German Bolzano (5 and retired)
Brush: RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive (28mm Plissoft knot)

The combination of the Fatip Piccolo SE + the German Bolzano is a total pleasure to use. Efficient, Smooth and Effective. :thumbup:
View attachment 1361902
The RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive brush easily whips up a great lather. A very comfortable and efficient brush. :thumbup:

Pre de Provance No. 63 is my soap this week. PdP 63 is an excellent soap. Lathers easily. Great face feel. Great performance! :thumbup:
View attachment 1361904
Went with the classic Pinaud Clubman Aftershave for Clubman Friday. Finished with the complementary Cuba Orange EdT Spray. :thumbup:

Nice looking razor

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 317 for 317 = 100%
20211113_132623~2.jpg

Razor: Swing DE (Sweden) (Timeless TRH8 Crown Handle - Polished)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: The Tech Hive Butterscotch Beehive (26mm Tuxedo)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

The Swedish Swing DE razor checks a lot of the right boxes for me and is a pleasure to use. Efficient, Smooth and Effective. Really cool razor! :thumbup:
20211113_132702~2.jpg

The Tech Hive Butterscotch Beehive is a wonderful synthetic brush that whips up great lathers. Very comfortable on my face. :thumbup:

20211113_132750~2.jpg

Back to Bay Rums on my brain. Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum is a wonderful Bay Rum with very decent staying power. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 318 for 318 = 100%
Blackland Brotherhood
Single Edge Sunday
20211114_110037~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless TRH8 Crown Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (6)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Beehive (28mm Synbad Knot)
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Skin Tonic
Fragrance: Gucci Guilty EdT Spray

The Blackland Razors Vector SB is a thoroughly impressive razor that provides thoroughly impressive results. Every time I use the Vector, I want to use it again the next day...and the next day...and the next day...and just keep using it every day! :thumbup:
20211114_110115~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co. Beehive with 28mm Synbad knot is a nice, capable, no drama brush. :thumbup:

Pre de Provance No. 63 has been my soap this week. PdP 63 is an excellent soap with a very well deserved positive reputation. Lathers easily. Great face feel. Great performance! :thumbup:
20211114_110154~2.jpg

Really changed up on my Sunday Aftershave and Fragrance. Lucky Tiger Skin Tonic is refreshing and has a light citrus scent that dissipates quickly. The Gucci Guilty EdT Spray has some lavender, orange and vanilla notes. Good combination and a nice change of pace! :thumbup:

Superb, top tier shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 319 for 319 = 100%
Blackland Brotherhood
MdC Monday
20211115_135417~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (ATT Aluminum Bamboo)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (7 and retired)
Brush: Frickwerkz handle (PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Fragrance: Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray

A "Blue Monday" shave today... :cool:

The Blackland Razors Vector SB is a thoroughly impressive razor that provides thoroughly impressive results. Every time I use the Vector, I want to keep using it every day! :thumbup:
20211115_135602~2.jpg

The Frickwerkz handle (PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot) feels substantial in the hand - very comfortable. The combined brush quickly and easily whips up a wonderful lather! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre soaps are the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel. As good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20211115_135715~2.jpg

For my "Blue Monday" aftershave and fragrance selections, I decided on the refreshing Epsilon Mediterranean Blue aftershave followed by the Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray. My face is happy! :thumbup:

Superb, top tier shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This week, I am comparing the Rex Envoy with the Mühle Rocca R95 V4. Fresh Perma-Sharp blades were loaded in each razor. The plan is to alternate days until I have five shaves on each razor/blade.
20211116_193745~2.jpg

The standard shave process will be:
Pass #1: WTG. N > S on my face. S > N on my neck.
Pass #2: XTG. Ear, TMJ, neck on both sides to the center of my face, chin, Adam's Apple.
Pass #3: ATG. S > N on my face. N > S on my neck.
Pass #4: Touchup. XTG TMJ to chin on both sides. ATG/XTG TMJ/jawline to Adam's Apple on both sides of my neck. ATG/XTG TMJ to nose/mouth on both sides of my face.

The brushes I'll alternate are the Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan) and the Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan) - both synthetics, same knot type, same loft, very similar handles.

Soap is the wonderful Musgo Real Classic - one of my absolute favorite soaps that does most everything right!

Pictures and notes of each day's shave to follow. :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 320 for 320 = 100%
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
20211116_145851~2.jpg

Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Fragrance: Cuba Royal EdT Spray

The Rex Envoy delivers a smooth, efficient, effective and consistent shave. The Envoy looks great. Construction is top notch. Substantial feel. Beautiful results. The Rex Envoy could very possibly be a daily driver! :thumbup:
20211116_145936~2.jpg

The Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle + TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan has become one of my frequently used synthetic brushes. Really like how the TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan loads and lathers. Feels good on my face. :thumbup:

The Musgo Real Classic is one of my absolute favorite soaps that does most everything right! Very close to as good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20211116_150033~2.jpg

134e305786.jpg

Still seem to have Bay Rums on the brain and Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum is a very nice Bay Rum. Finished with the Cuba Royal EdT Spray. My face is happy! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 321 for 321 = 100%
20211117_134201~2.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)

The Mühle Rocca R95 V4 also delivers a smooth, efficient, effective and consistent shave. The results are very comparable to the Rex Envoy - both razors deliver excellent DFS level shaves using a steep angle and the same structured 3-pass + Touchup process. It's nice comparing two excellent razors! :thumbup:
20211117_134242~2.jpg

The 20211116 comments apply to both brushes used in this comparison: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan) and the Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan). :thumbup:

The Musgo Real Classic comments from 20211116 will apply throughout this comparison. :thumbup:
20211117_134320~2.jpg

My comments regarding the Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave and the Cuba Orange EdT Spray are pretty well known. I like both, individually and in tandem, a lot! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 322 for 322 = 100%
20211118_102414~2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)

This comparison is turning out to be quite interesting. The Rex Envoy has a solid and substantial feel, it conveys a sense of confidence when shaving. The knurling on the handle provides a very sure handed grip. The Envoy might have a slight edge in efficiency, without stepping over the line to aggressive. This shave is right in line with the first one - a smooth, efficient, effective and consistent shave. Both razors deliver excellent DFS level shaves using a steep angle and the same structured 3-pass + Touchup process. Definitely two excellent razors! :thumbup:
20211118_102456~2.jpg

The 20211116 comments apply to both brushes used in this comparison: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan) and the Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan). :thumbup:

The Musgo Real Classic comments from 20211116 will apply throughout this comparison. :thumbup:
20211118_102542~2.jpg

Repeated the Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave and the Cuba Orange EdT Spray today. Very nice finish! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 323 for 323 = 100%
Clubman Friday
20211119_132156~2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)

This comparison continues to intrigue me. The Mühle Rocca R95 V4 may not be as heavy as the Rex Envoy, but it still conveys a sense of confidence when shaving. I love the feel of the Birch Bark handle. The R95 V4 seems to be a bit more nimble and maneuverable. This shave is right in line with the first one - a smooth, efficient, effective and consistent shave. Both razors have delivered excellent DFS level shaves using a steep angle and the same structured 3-pass + Touchup process. The end results are virtually identical. No doubt in my mind that these are definitely two excellent, and high value, razors! :thumbup:
20211119_132329~2.jpg

The Musgo Real Classic comments from 20211116 will apply throughout this comparison. This is really great soap! :thumbup:
20211119_132432~2.jpg

Repeated the Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave and the Cuba Orange EdT Spray today. Very nice finish! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 324 for 324 = 100%
20211120_203252~2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)

The Rex Envoy is up again today. Fine tuning my impressions. The Envoy does have a slight edge in efficiency and a bit more blade feel. Still very smooth and comfortable. The Envoy does not need much in the way of added pressure - let the weight of the razor do most of the work. The Envoy is an excellent razor that, used with solid technique, can easily be a Daily Driver. :thumbup:
20211120_203333~2.jpg

The Musgo Real Classic comments from 20211116 will apply throughout this comparison. This is really great soap! :thumbup:
20211120_203416~2.jpg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 325 for 325 = 100%
20211121_115546~2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan)

Another excellent shave from the Mühle Rocca R95 V4. The R95 V4 consistently delivers excellent DFS level shaves using a steep angle and the structured 3-pass + Touchup process I'm using for these comparison shaves. :thumbup:
20211121_115621~2.jpg

The Venom is another great looking and ergonomic handle from Wild West Brushworks. The TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan loads, lathers and splays beautifully and feels wonderful on my face. :thumbup:

20211121_115656~2.jpg

Went with the Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave and the Cuba Orange EdT Spray again today. Really like this combination! :thumbup:
20211121_115724~2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 326 for 326 = 100%
20211122_200721~2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)

The Rex Envoy provided yet another efficient, smooth and effective DFS shave. This razor is a joy to use. :thumbup:
20211122_200818~2.jpg

The Venom is another great looking and ergonomic handle from Wild West Brushworks. The TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan loads, lathers & splays beautifully. Plus it feels wonderful on my face. :thumbup:

The Musgo Real Classic is a really great soap! :thumbup:
20211122_200902~2.jpg

Hanging in there with the Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
To elaborate on my impressions of the Rex Envoy and the Mühle Rocca R95 V4:
  • The Envoy is more blade forward, also slightly more efficient.
  • Both razors are smooth and get to DFS without irritation.
  • Both razors are effective, slight edge to the Envoy due to being slightly more efficient.
  • I like the weight of the R95 V4 and find it to be more nimble and maneuverable.
  • Using the 3-pass + touchup pass process, the shave results are really close.
  • With my face, skin and beard, either razor could be a daily driver.
Pending shaves remaining in this comparison:
11/23: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
11/24: Rex Envoy
11/25: Mühle Rocca R95 V4

The 11/25 shave will conclude this comparison with five shaves on each razor and blade.

Concluding comparison comments to follow after the 11/25 shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 327 for 327 = 100%
20211123_112248~2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)

The Mühle Rocca R95 V4 keeps pace with the Envoy. Had an efficient, smooth and effective DFS shave. :thumbup:
20211123_112332~2.jpg

The Wild West Brushworks Venom (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan) is a great looking and great performing brush! :thumbup:

The Musgo Real Classic is a really great soap! :thumbup:
20211123_112412~2.jpg

Switched up to the classic Pinaud Clubman for today's aftershave! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom