What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Finished with the outstanding Floïd The Genuine aftershave and the wonderful Original Penguin Reserve EdT Spray. Great combination!

Dear Sir, I’m curious about the order in which you use your aftercare products. Does balm come before or after the splash?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Dear Sir, I’m curious about the order in which you use your aftercare products. Does balm come before or after the splash?

@Adam18 and I were just having this discussion earlier today. :)

This is how I answered him earlier:

The sequence of balms, moisturizers like HA and aftershaves seems to vary among shavers. From my experience, Hyaluronic Acid seems to work best when mixed with a moisturizer.

After shaving, thoroughly rinsing my face and drying my face with a towel, I combine a penny sized dollop of the Nivea Balm with ~1/3 dropper of Hyaluronic Acid in my palm, rub my palms together to thoroughly mix and apply to my face and neck. Let it absorb for ~4 - 5 minutes. When fully absorbed, then I apply my aftershave.

Adam plans to apply Witch Hazel and Aftershave Splash first and then follow with the Balm + Hyaluronic Acid mixture. I am looking forward to his comments.

Hope this helps. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 271 for 271 = 100%
Karve Diem
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20210928_143333~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Brass SB-G
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Brush: Shavemac Butterscotch Beagle (Shavemac 22mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: TFS Linea Intenso - Mandarino Tachibana
Fragrance: Classic Match EdT Spray (JCM)

The Karve Brass Widebody SB-G is one of my DE Big Dogs. Efficient, smooth and effective! :thumbup:
20210928_143628~2.jpg

The Shavemac Butterscotch Beagle, with Shavemac 22mm 2-band Silvertip knot, is a really cool brush! :thumbup:

First use of the Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricettat. This will be my soap through Sunday's shave (I change soaps every week after MdC Monday ;)). Initial impressions are good, but I will reserve more detailed comments until after another shave or two. :thumbsup:
20210928_143737~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday skin care. Finished with the beautiful TFS Linea Intenso - Mandarino Tachibana aftershave and the very complementary Classic Match EdT Spray! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm interested in hearing about ⬆️ that ⬆️ soap...

At present, having a large number of soaps, the only soap I use enough to mention is Vitos Red Cocco. I like it (obviously). I also think I've gotten where I prefer soaps without scent. Even if I like their scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm interested in hearing about ⬆️ that ⬆️ soap...

At present, having a large number of soaps, the only soap I use enough to mention is Vitos Red Cocco. I like it (obviously). I also think I've gotten where I prefer soaps without scent. Even if I like their scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'll definitely be posting more detailed impressions through Sunday's shave.

This soap has a nice fresh orange scent. Not overpowering. Saponificio Bignoli also makes an unscented soap - which I will probably also get.

My face is still quite happy this morning. No hint of drying, irritation or any other untoward aftereffects.

Today's razor will be the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB with a Personna Israeli Platinum Red blade.

For the brush, I think I'll see how the soap performs with one of my favored synthetics. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'll definitely be posting more detailed impressions through Sunday's shave.

This soap has a nice fresh orange scent. Not overpowering. Saponificio Bignoli also makes an unscented soap - which I will probably also get.

My face is still quite happy this morning. No hint of drying, irritation or any other untoward aftereffects.

Today's razor will be the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB with a Personna Israeli Platinum Red blade.

For the brush, I think I'll see how the soap performs with one of my favored synthetics. :)

Good deal, David.

I've decided to try a couple or three non-scented soaps. Today I ordered Shannon's Soap in the NIL (unscented) variety. I've tried one of the Timeless free gift samples of a Shannon's Soap, and liked it, including the scent, but don't want scent in my shaving soaps. (I've no idea why except to say I don't want the added complexity.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Good deal, David.

I've decided to try a couple or three non-scented soaps. Today I ordered Shannon's Soap in the NIL (unscented) variety. I've tried one of the Timeless free gift samples of a Shannon's Soap, and liked it, including the scent, but don't want scent in my shaving soaps. (I've no idea why except to say I don't want the added complexity.)

Happy shaves,

Jim
Unscented soaps definitely play a valuable role. Certainly puts the scent focus on the aftershave and fragrance of the day. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 272 for 272 = 100%
Knights of the Veg Table
Wolfman Wednesday 🐺
20210929_152225~2.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB (CG Copper Bishop Variant Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (1)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is one of my top DE Big Dogs. The Personna Israeli Platinum Red is one of my favorite blades in the WR2 1.25 SB. Efficient, very smooth and very effective! :thumbup:
20210929_152323~2.jpg

The Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E with TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot has become one of my preferred synthetic brushes. Great combination of handle and knot. :thumbup:

Continuing with Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap this week. Nice fresh orange scent. Nice lather. Seems to be fairly slick and protective. Post shave skin feel is good - not drying at all. More to follow. :thumbsup:
20210929_152410~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday skin care. Today's aftershave is Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal. Rocking The Veg! :punk: :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 273 for 273 = 100%
Blackland Brotherhood - B3
Bootlegger's Brigands
20210930_174402~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird needs no introduction. Efficient, very smooth and very effective! :thumbup:
20210930_174522~2.jpg

The RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic is a very good brush and an excellent value. :thumbup:

Continuing with Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap this week. In addition to my previous comments: This is a softer soap. Responds well to the Modified @Marco Method for loading the brush and building the lather in my Captain's Choice Copper Bowl. The resultant lather feels good on my skin, and leaves my skin feeling good. A very enjoyable soap. :thumbsup:
20210930_174650~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday skin care. Today's aftershave is one of my top favorite Aftershave/Fragrance choices: Bootlegger's El Dorado. Love this stuff - plus it is very much "Bride Approved". :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 274 for 274 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
OCtober 2021
20211001_151153~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Bedtime Skin Care: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! The FOCS + Bolzano blade is a consistently wonderful combination. Efficient, smooth and effective - the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
20211001_151402~2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I reach for almost every Friday. Whether bowl or face lathering, the EVO performs wonderfully. :thumbup:

Continuing with Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap this week. In addition to my previous remarks: Today I started with less water on the EVO and then loaded less soap. This was an all around improvement. Tomorrow I want to try thinning the lather a touch to see how it impacts the slickness. I'm starting to consider where the Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap ends up in my hierarchy of soaps, though I've made no decisions yet. :thumbsup:
20211001_151449~2.jpg

Today's aftershave is one of my top favorite Aftershave/Fragrance choices: Bootlegger's El Dorado. Love this stuff - plus it is very much "Bride Approved". :thumbup:

I've moved the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid from post-shave to bedtime skin care. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 275 for 275 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
20211002_110917~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Nightly Skin Care: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid

20211002_111042~2.jpg

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. A thoroughly impressive razor! :thumbup:

20211002_111014~2.jpg

Love using my Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive with Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan. Definitely one of my favorite brushes. :thumbup:

20211002_111108~2.jpg

Continuing with Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap through Sunday. In addition to my previous remarks: Reduced the amount of soap I loaded and kept the water the same to thin the lather. I'll experiment with a little more water tomorrow. The scent and the post-shave feel are both pleasing but, thus far at least, it does not "ring my chimes" like a number of other top tier soaps in my Den. :thumbup:

20211002_111125~2.jpg

Today's aftershave is one of my top favorite Aftershave/Fragrance choices: Bootlegger's El Dorado. Love this stuff - plus it is very much "Bride Approved". :thumbup:

20211002_111213~2.jpg

Have changed the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid from post-shave balm to nightly skin care. Applying it later in the evening works even better for my face than using it as a post-shave balm. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 276 for 276 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
Single Edge Sunday
20211003_112705~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (6)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic

Nightly Skin Care: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. A thoroughly impressive razor! :thumbup:
20211003_112807~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Keyhole with Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan performs as well as the Butterscotch Beehive and is also one of my favorite brushes. :thumbup:

Last day of my initial week with Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap. In addition to my previous remarks: I really worked to fine tune the soap:water ratio and give this soap the best opportunity to perform at its best. :thumbup:
20211003_112853~2.jpg

Been using one of my favorite Aftershave/Fragrance choices this week: Bootlegger's El Dorado. Sunday fragrance is Lagerfeld Classic. Love this combination - plus it is very much "Bride Approved". :thumbup:

20211002_111213~3.jpg

Have changed the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid from post-shave balm to nightly skin care. Applying it later in the evening works even better for my face than using it as a balm. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Expanded my remarks on the Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap:

Last day of my initial week with Saponificio Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap. In addition to my previous remarks: I really worked to fine tune the soap:water ratio and give this soap the best opportunity to perform at its best. Started with a really wet brush. Loaded 20 count (one count is a full circle with the brush) catching the runoff in my Captain's Choice Copper Bowl. Whipped up a fairly thin lather. Took the brush, now very permeated with the thin lather, re-loaded a 2 - 3 count and face lathered (the extra step sounds a lot more complicated than it is - really not a big deal at all). Now we are cooking on gas. Slick (initial and residual), protective, very nice initial + post shave face feel. Still doesn't displace my Big Dog soaps, but now I can see myself using it occasionally. Not too bad at all. :thumbup:
20211002_111108~2.jpg

Please bear in mind that loading the brush and building the lather without the extra step I describe above still works fine. Putting the extra step in moves this soap from an average to an above average soap.

Just my opinion. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 277 for 277 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
MdC Monday
20211004_141701~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (7 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey The Natural (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic

20211004_141741~2.jpg

The Natural is another of my Rudy Vey handles with the Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan. All of my Rudy Vey brushes with Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Fan knots are superb and in my top tier of brushes. :thumbup:

Martin de Candre soaps are some of the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel. As good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20211004_141831~2.jpg

Been using one of my favorite Aftershave/Fragrance pairings this week: Bootlegger's El Dorado aftershave paired with Lagerfeld Classic fragrance. Love this combination - plus it is very much "Bride Approved". :thumbup:

Can't say enough good things about today's shave. Incredible and superb in every way! :thumbup: :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211002_111213~3.jpg

Have changed the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid from post-shave balm to nightly skin care. Applying it later in the evening works even better for my face than using it as a balm. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 278 for 278 = 100%
20211005_153737~2.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Blade: German Bolzano (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum

For the next eight days, @Neilzebub and I are evaluating and comparing the old German Bolzano blades with the new Egyptian Bolzano blades. The German Bolzano is a blade with which I am extremely familiar. It has been my preferred blade in all of my Fatip (and others who source from Fatip) razors since I first tried the combination a couple of years back. This is my first use of any Bolzano in the Mühle Rocca R95 v4. I have previously described the Mühle Rocca as "so smooth that it is deceptively efficient". The R95 v4 is a very effective DE. The German Bolzano matches up nicely with the R95 v4. An efficient and smooth combination! Overall, the combination is Medium+ to Medium++ Effective. All of the component parts used in today's shave worked really well together. With this synergy, I was able to zero in on a good baseline for the German Bolzano blade. All in all, a very pleasant shave. :thumbup:
20211005_153824~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle + TNS 24mm Original BOSS knot is a wonderful brush. The Rudy Vey handle is very ergonomic. Easy to grip. Feels good in hand. Really like how the TNS Original BOSS knot loads and lathers. Splays readily and paints smoothly. Definitely not a lather hog. Feels good on my face. :thumbup:

Vito's Extra Super Coco is one of my favorite soaps. I could use it every day and be happy. Plus, it is an excellent value! :thumbup:
20211005_153908~2.jpg

PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum is an excellent aftershave/fragrance - one of my top Bay Rums. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 279 for 279 = 100%
20211006_124135~2.jpg

Blade: German Bolzano (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) AS3M Handle (Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre Knot)
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Day 2 of @Neilzebub and my evaluation and comparison of the old German Bolzano blades with the new Egyptian Bolzano blades, with additional comments regarding razor synergies (Post in thread 'A Comparison Between The German & Egyptian Manufactured Bolzano Blades' A Comparison Between The German & Egyptian Manufactured Bolzano Blades - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-comparison-between-the-german-egyptian-manufactured-bolzano-blades.614654/post-11477196). Today's combination is the same as yesterday: the German Bolzano blade paired with the Mühle Rocca R95 v4 razor. Today, I went with 3-passes + touchups. Results: Medium++ Efficient plus Medium++ Smooth equals Medium++ (or better) Effective. Solid DFS to DFS+ shave. Good synergy between razor and blade resulting in a really smooth and pleasant shave. :thumbup:
20211006_124201~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) AS3M Handle + Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre (STF) Knot is another fantastic brush. Does a wonderful job of building lather and feels great all the way around. :thumbup:

Vito's Extra Super Coco is one of my favorite soaps. I could use it every day and be happy. Plus, it is an excellent value! :thumbup:
20211006_124238~2.jpg

First use of Captain's Choice Bay Rum. This is an excellent aftershave and instantly joins my top Bay Rums. A different take on Bay Rum but one that is very satisfying! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 280 for 280 = 100%
20211007_140934~2.jpg

Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum

Day 3. First use of the Egyptian Bolzano. With the exception of the new Egyptian Bolzano blade, today's shaving components are the same as yesterday. Went with my usual Steep Angle, 3-passes + touchups. More audible feedback with the Egyptian blade. Sure sounded like it was cutting and it readily mowed through my whiskers. A very smooth shave. The two blades feel slightly different on my face but are, overall, closer than I expected. First Shave Results: Medium++ Efficient, Medium++ Smooth and Medium++ Effective. DFS to DFS+ shave. I'm looking forward to shave #2. :thumbup:
20211007_141024~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle + TNS 24mm Original BOSS knot is a wonderful brush. :thumbup:

20211007_141104~2.jpg

On a Bay Rum Aftershave kick. Today's Aftershave is Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum. An excellent and balanced Aftershave and one of my top Bay Rums. :thumbup:

Top Bottom