What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

Eben Stone

Staff member
The Al13 does not glide smoothly over my face.

I guess I would describe it as feeling resistance when using the razor. In the case go the Henson, I'm guessing that it's due to the fair amount of surface area that is against your skin. It's the only Aluminum razor that I've ever used, so not sure whether or not the material plays into it, too. Whatever the case, it creates enough drag/resistance that I don't really like using it very much.

My Timeless SB can exhibit this as well, but to a lesser extent and I usually only feel it if I try to go over that same area more than once. It removes a lot of lather with each pass and has quite a but of surface area, so not a good combination if you try to go over an area multiple times without re-lathering. With the Henson, I feel some drag even on the first pass.

I do feel the Henson if a good razor and it's obvious just from seeing it in person that it's well engineered, but for me, I just don't like it near as much as my other razors (i.e. Feather, Wolfman, & Timeless) and it mostly comes down to that drag sensation.

Interesting. I tried to replicate the drag out of curiosity.

I never noticed this drag issue using Officiana Artigiana Milano Stay Traditional and slightly riding the cap or bar.

I can only replicate it if I use a completely neutral angle AND/OR use a thick dense lather. I would categorize Southern Witchcrafts as low structure lather. For my test I used SW with much less water than normal to increase density and noticed the drag. However, I don't think that was a very realistic test because prefer wet and runny lather, like Yoplait yogurt or wet paint. So I added more water and the drag went away.

I find it very odd that the instructions say to use a completely neutral angle. I find that completely ineffective for me. Maybe I need to experiment more.

The drag you mention reminds me of boat racing. They don't race if the water is completely calm. There needs to be a little wind to chop the water, otherwise it's not safe to race. Something about hydronamics that I don't know how to explain, like the boat sticks to the surface of the calm water and hydroplanes but doesn't happen with slightly choppy water.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I never noticed this drag issue using Officiana Artigiana Milano Stay Traditional and slightly riding the cap or bar.

I can only replicate it if I use a completely neutral angle AND/OR use a thick dense lather. I would categorize Southern Witchcrafts as low structure lather. For my test I used SW with much less water than normal to increase density and noticed the drag. However, I don't think that was a very realistic test because prefer wet and runny lather, like Yoplait yogurt or wet paint. So I added more water and the drag went away.

I find it very odd that the instructions say to use a completely neutral angle. I find that completely ineffective for me. Maybe I need to experiment more.

The drag you mention reminds me of boat racing. They don't race if the water is completely calm. There needs to be a little wind to chop the water, otherwise it's not safe to race. Something about hydronamics that I don't know how to explain, like the boat sticks to the surface of the calm water and hydroplanes but doesn't happen with slightly choppy water.

Thinning out my lather a bit did help some, but I was never able to get rid of the drag completely.

Same feeling of drag with the WCS Winning Razor. I attributed it to the similar head design?

Keep in mind that it often comes down to subtle differences between razors. It's not like I struggle to get the Henson across my face, but for me it doesn't come across as super smooth because of that bit of drag. I'm glad you're happy with its performance, though.

Your bringing up the race boats made me think of the performance boat that I had many years ago. The builder sprayed the gelcoat on the bottom with a slight orange peel texture instead of being perfectly smooth in order to eliminate that sticking to the surface in calm water like you described.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 263 for 263 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
MdC Monday
Single Edge SEptember 2021
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20210920_134612~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (7 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Floïd Vigoroso
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. A thoroughly impressive razor! :thumbup:
20210920_134650~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe handle feels great in my hand. The Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan feels great on my face. Builds a wonderful lather. Good flow through. Really nice brush. :thumbup:

Martin de Candre soaps are some of the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel. As good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20210920_134738~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Finished with Floïd Vigoroso aftershave and the very nice Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray. Great combination! :thumbup:
20210620_175325~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So, after Monday's shave with the Vector, I think I'll take a meandering journey with some of my other Big Dogs and Runs With The Big Dogs razors.

After a really awesome Monday shave this morning with the Vector, I decided to keep things in the AC blade world.

Tomorrow's (Tuesday's) shave will see my Colonial Razors The General (#2 AC blade razor) in action.

Been some time since I've used The General. Definitely looking forward to shaving with it. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 264 for 264 = 100%
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
20210921_102645~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (Timeless TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (1)
Brush: Craving Shaving Debris Handle (PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Lather: PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Epsilon Blue Mediterranean
Fragrance: Belcam Classic Match Blue EdT Spray

Colonial Razors The General V2 is my #2 AC blade razor. Very comfortable shave, especially with the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade. This is a great razor that I scored slightly lower than the Vector due only to the more nimble and maneuverable head on the Vector. The shave quality from The General is excellent! :thumbup:
20210921_102536~2.jpg

The Craving Shaving Debris Handle plus PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot is a great brush. The handle fits naturally in hand and the knot is one of my favorites. :thumbup:

PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu overall quality is on a par with MdC. The Nuàvia Blu is nice and slick. Post-shave face feel is awesome. The scent is wonderful. Top tier soap all the way. Did I mention how wonderful the slickness, post-shave face feel and scent is on the Blu? ;) :thumbup:
20210921_102427~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my aftershave, the Epsilon Blue Mediterranean is refreshing. Today's fragrance is Belcam Classic Match Blue EdT Spray. My face is quite happy. :thumbup:

I guess I would describe it as feeling resistance when using the razor. In the case go the Henson, I'm guessing that it's due to the fair amount of surface area that is against your skin. It's the only Aluminum razor that I've ever used, so not sure whether or not the material plays into it, too. Whatever the case, it creates enough drag/resistance that I don't really like using it very much.

My Timeless SB can exhibit this as well, but to a lesser extent and I usually only feel it if I try to go over that same area more than once. It removes a lot of lather with each pass and has quite a but of surface area, so not a good combination if you try to go over an area multiple times without re-lathering. With the Henson, I feel some drag even on the first pass.

I do feel the Henson if a good razor and it's obvious just from seeing it in person that it's well engineered, but for me, I just don't like it near as much as my other razors (i.e. Feather, Wolfman, & Timeless) and it mostly comes down to that drag sensation.

I suspect the drag may also have a lot to do with the head geometry. It doesn't bother me, I find it to be a superb razor. Happy shaves all.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 265 for 265 = 100%
20210922_110355~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (Timeless TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Chubby (TNS 26mm Full Moon Knot)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum
Fragrance: Milton-Lloyd Essentials No. 3 EdP Spray

Colonial Razors The General V2 is a great razor that provides excellent shaves. Definitely one of my Big Dogs! :thumbup:
20210922_110456~2.jpg

The Graydog Backyard Maple Chubby (TNS 26mm Full Moon Knot) has had a place of pride in my Den since it arrived. A very special brush in many ways. :thumbup:

PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu is an awesome soap. Slick. Great post-shave feel. Wonderful scent. There are very few soaps out there with performance that is this good. :thumbup:
20210922_110541~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Today's aftershave is one of my favorites, Bootlegger's Bay Rum. Going with the Milton-Lloyd Essentials No. 3 EdP Spray as my fragrance. Really nice combination. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 266 for 266 = 100%
Wolfman Wednesday on a Thursday 🐺
20210923_155529~2.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB (CG Copper Bishop Variant Handle)
Blade: Feather (3)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Knot)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is one of my top DE Big Dogs. The Feather blade is a great match. Efficient, smooth and very effective! :thumbup:
20210923_155637~2.jpg

The Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan Knot) is a wonderful brush. The handle is very ergonomic and the Maggard SHD Fan is an excellent knot that won't break the bank. :thumbup:

PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu is an awesome soap. Slick. Great post-shave feel. Wonderful scent. There are very few soaps out there with performance that is this good. :thumbup:
20210923_155727~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Today's aftershave is one of my favorites, Bootlegger's El Dorado. Finished with the Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray - which has become one of my favorite EdT Sprays. Really nice combination. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 267 for 267 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Slantember 2021
20210924_150124~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (5 and retired)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Beehive (28mm Synbad)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! The FOCS + Bolzano blade is a consistently wonderful combination. Efficient, smooth and effective - the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
20210924_150224~2.jpg

Been "jonesing" to try a big Synbad brush. A few minutes on the AP Shave Co. site, a very few dollars and a few days in route and the AP Shave Co. Beehive with 28mm Synbad knot arrived - just in time for Fatip Friday. Nice sized (big :)) knot. The Faux Horn Beehive handle is a bit heavy (not detrimental to the overall feel), ergonomic (I like Beehive handles :)) and has a good grip. The 28mm Synbad knot is a lather machine. The 28mm knot splays easily and covers large areas of my face. All in all, a very cool brush that is extremely reasonably priced. :thumbup:

20210924_150308~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. To finish my Friday shave, Pinaud Clubman is the classic Aftershave. Used Cuba Orange EdT Spray before going out for the evening. My face is happy. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 268 for 268 = 100%
20210925_182344~2.jpg

Razor: Pearl Flexi v2
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Beehive (28mm Synbad)
Aftershave: TFS Intense Line - Bergamotto Neroli

The Pearl Flexi efficiency is variable, depending on setting. Three passes with settings 6 - 5 - 4 + setting 3 for touch-ups. Really nice shave - smooth and effective. :thumbup:
20210925_182452~2.jpg

Day 2 with my new AP Shave Co. Beehive with 28mm Synbad knot. Today's performance is consistent with yesterday. Nice, very reasonably priced, brush. :thumbup:

20210925_182539~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. The TFS Intense Line - Bergamotto Neroli aftershave matches the PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu soap wonderfully. My face is happy. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 269 for 269 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
Single Edge Sunday
20210926_171631~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey The Favorite (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Aftershave: Epsilon Scottish Spirit

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. A thoroughly impressive razor! :thumbup:
20210926_171813~2.jpg

With The Favorite, Rudy Vey crafted a handle that is very ergonomic and easy to use. Combined with the Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan, this is a really nice brush. :thumbup:

PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu is an awesome soap. There are very few soaps out there with performance that is this good. :thumbup:
20210926_171905~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Finished with the great Epsilon Scottish Spirit aftershave and the outstanding Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray. Great combination! :thumbup:

I wonder if it’s because your country sends celebrities, scientists, and engineers to the USA and the USA only sends people who didn’t like the results of some political election or another.

You've reminded me of one of my fav anecdotes: An Aussie academic was offered a chair at Oxford. Upon learning of this their governess exclaimed, "Wot? Move to England? Where all the convicts come from?"

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 270 for 270 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
MdC Monday
20210927_153053~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine
Fragrance: Original Penguin Reserve EdT Spray

20210927_153153~2.jpg

Love using my Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive with Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan. Definitely one of my favorite brushes. :thumbup:

Martin de Candre soaps are some of the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel. As good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20210927_153254~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Finished with the outstanding Floïd The Genuine aftershave and the wonderful Original Penguin Reserve EdT Spray. Great combination! :thumbup:

Top Bottom