What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

I believe that PAA terms it a "Hybrid Fan/Bulb" knot.

I gotta say, I'm not so sure about PAA's synthetics being all that. I once got their Amber Aerolite and it would constantly shed like crazy every time I used it, just wound up giving the thing away. No way those things...and a lot of their other hardware for that matter...aren't made in China

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I gotta say, I'm not so sure about PAA's synthetics being all that. I once got their Amber Aerolite and it would constantly shed like crazy every time I used it, just wound up giving the thing away. No way those things...and a lot of their other hardware for that matter...aren't made in China

I have the Amber Aerolite. Different knot. Hasn't shed. Just not my favorite PAA brush.

I have the Roswell Hybrid Gray knot in three brushes and like it quite a bit - certainly more than the knot in the Amber Aerolite.

Just my opinion. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 211 for 211 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
High Efficiency June & July
Synthetic Summer
20210730_141043~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (3)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Musk

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! Efficient, smooth and effective - every shave with the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
20210730_141211~2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I usually reach for every Friday. :thumbup:
20210730_141308~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 212 for 212 = 100%
Synthetic Summer
20210731_185056~2.jpg

Razor: Barbasol Floating Head
Blade: Silver Star (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Aftershave: RazoRock Tuscan Oud
Fragrance: Milton Lloyd Colour Me Oud

Last shave of High Efficiency June & July! Selected the Barbasol Floating Head - a vintage and iconic high efficiency DE razor from the 1930s.
20210731_185207~2.jpg

The Barbasol Floating Head razor shaves like a smoother and more refined R41, while still being at least as efficient. Definitely gets through the whiskers. Low profile head. Nimble and maneuverable. High Efficiency + Smooth = a very Effective razor. Keeps up with a lot of current razors. In the Big Dogs Rotation. :thumbup:

The Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle + TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan has become one of my frequently used synthetic brushes. Really like how the TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan loads and lathers. Feels good on my face. :thumbup:

As I've stated in other shave notes, the Cella Extra Extra Bio is awesome soap. Slick, cushioning and protective. Following with the Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid soothes and nourishes the skin. :thumbup:
20210731_185319~2.jpg

The RazoRock Tuscan Oud aftershave followed by the Milton Lloyd Colour Me Oud fragrance finished my shave on a wonderful note. Loving Oud more and more. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 213 for 213 = 100%
Mild/Medium Efficiency August
Single Edge Sunday
20210801_110911~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB :001_wub:
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (7 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Original Stetson
Fragrance: Original Stetson

First shave of Mild/Medium Efficiency August! What better way to kick things off than the Blackland Razors Vector SB with the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG guarded blade. Really low profile head. Wonderfully nimble and maneuverable. In this configuration, Medium Efficient + Highly Smooth = Highly Effective. With the SB or OC plates and using a variety of blades, the Vector is my favorite SE AC Safety razor :thumbup:
20210801_111048~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip) Fan loads and lathers like a dream. Feels wonderful on my face. :thumbup:

As I've stated in other shave notes, the Cella Extra Extra Bio is awesome soap. Slick, cushioning and protective. Following with the Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid soothes and nourishes the skin. :thumbup:
20210801_111150~2.jpg

Original Stetson (Aftershave and Cologne) has been in my Den for 34 years. After all these years, still the Aftershave and Cologne my Bride prefers on me. :thumbup:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 214 for 214 = 100%
MdC Monday
Micromatic Monday
20210802_160004~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (8 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic

The GEM Featherweight Deluxe is, in my opinion, the "Gillette Tech" of the GEM SE razor world. Mild and smooth. Medium+ effective. Takes an extra pass but the Featherweight Deluxe still removes my whiskers without any irritation. Really cool GEM razor! :thumbup:
20210802_160102~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger) has good backbone and scrub. Great brush. :thumbup:

Martin de Candre Fougère is a top tier soap. Readily lathers and is slick, cushioning and protective. Following with the Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid soothes and nourishes the skin. :thumbup:
20210802_160133~2.jpg

Brut Classic matches up beautifully with the Martin de Candre Fougère. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 215 for 215 = 100%
Tech Tuesday
20210803_151533~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette Pre-War Tech (TiBam Ti Antique Handle)
Blade: Kai (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: RazoRock Saturnia
Fragrance: Belcam G Eàu Bronze EdT Spray

The Gillette Pre-War Tech is a wonderful razor. Medium Efficient. Exceptionally Smooth. Medium++ Effective. Four passes plus touchups. Face feels great - no irritation. I prefer using my Techs with Kai and Feather blades and with one of my TiBam Titanium handles. Highly recommended! :thumbup:
20210803_151631~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip) is a pleasure to use for bowl and face lathering. Rudy's handles are very ergonomic. The Shavemac 2-band Silvertip is my favorite badger knot. :thumbup:

Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti is a top tier soap. Lathers like a dream. Nice and slick, cushioning and protective. Following with the Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid soothes and nourishes the skin. :thumbup:
20210803_151729~2.jpg

The RazoRock Saturnia aftershave and Belcam G Eàu Bronze EdT Spray match up nicely with each other and also with Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti. Very nice combined scent profile. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 216 for 216 = 100%
Timeless Tuesday on a Wednesday
shave 20210804_144454_2.jpg

Razor: Timeless Ti 0.68 SB (Timeless Ti TRH6 Handle)
Blade: Kai (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lemondrop (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

The Timeless Ti 0.68 is mild/medium efficient and exceedingly smooth. Nicely effective, it does need an extra pass to get my shave where I want it to be and it accomplishes this without any irritation. Easily can be a daily driver. Highly recommended! :thumbup:
hardware 20210804_144724_2.jpg

As with all of my Rudy Vey brushes, the Lemondrop is a pleasure to use. The handle is comfortable in hand and easy to use. As I have said before, the Shavemac 2-band Silvertip is my favorite badger knot. Wonderful brush! :thumbup:

Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti is definitely a top tier soap. The lather is slick, cushioning and protective. The Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid soothes and nourishes the skin. :thumbup:
software 20210804_144837_2.jpg

Rocking The Veg today! I sure get lots of complements when I wear The Veg! Love it! :punk: :thumbup:

365 Shaves in 2021: 211 for 211 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Synthetic Summer
View attachment 1304317
Blade: Bolzano (3)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Musk

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! Efficient, smooth and effective - every shave with the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
View attachment 1304318
The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I usually reach for every Friday. :thumbup:
View attachment 1304319
David, how do you make lather with EVO and Cella Extra Bio?

I'm trying to decide which method works better: 1) swirling a dump brush over the surface of the cream, loading directly from the tub or 2) scooping an almond-size or so and building a lather in the bowl... I've tried both and both worked fine, but am curious about your thoughts on this one.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David, how do you make lather with EVO and Cella Extra Bio?

I'm trying to decide which method works better: 1) swirling a dump brush over the surface of the cream, loading directly from the tub or 2) scooping an almond-size or so and building a lather in the bowl... I've tried both and both worked fine, but am curious about your thoughts on this one.

I make lather using the "Modified @Marco Method":

Modified Marco Method.

For hard and medium soaps and croaps:

1. Soak your brush in medium hot water for a couple of minutes..

2. Turn your brush upside-down. I usually give a very slight flick of my wrist, but do not shake. Keep most of the water in the brush. You want a nice wet brush.

3. Hold your soap over the Captain's Choice bowl, slightly pointed down. Start making swirls on the surface of the soap. You have to proceed slowly, without pressure on the brush. Remember that it's very wet.

4. Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls. Please keep in mind that the loading time and number of swirls also depend on how big your brush is and how much water it can retain. Try to aim the overflow so it goes into the bowl.

5. After the brush is loaded, get any excess lather from your puck into the bowl, set youe puck down, pick up your Captain's Choice bowl and begin building your lather in the bowl.

6. Add a few drops of water as needed to get the lather consistency dialed in.

7. Apply the lather to your face.

Note: If you are using soft creams, place an appropriate amount (usually ~1/4 teaspoon) in the center of the bowl. Soak your brush. Partial (small) flick of the wrist. Swirl your wet brush around in the bowl until your lather is the consistency of yogurt.

Full attribution: This is taken from the 'Marco Method' originally posted here:

My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-lathering-technique-with-italian-soft-soaps.199887/

I modified it slightly to suit my preferences.

Hope this helps. :)

I make lather using the "Modified @Marco Method":

Modified Marco Method.

For hard and medium soaps and croaps:

1. Soak your brush in medium hot water for a couple of minutes..

2. Turn your brush upside-down. I usually give a very slight flick of my wrist, but do not shake. Keep most of the water in the brush. You want a nice wet brush.

3. Hold your soap over the Captain's Choice bowl, slightly pointed down. Start making swirls on the surface of the soap. You have to proceed slowly, without pressure on the brush. Remember that it's very wet.

4. Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls. Please keep in mind that the loading time and number of swirls also depend on how big your brush is and how much water it can retain. Try to aim the overflow so it goes into the bowl.

5. After the brush is loaded, get any excess lather from your puck into the bowl, set youe puck down, pick up your Captain's Choice bowl and begin building your lather in the bowl.

6. Add a few drops of water as needed to get the lather consistency dialed in.

7. Apply the lather to your face.

Note: If you are using soft creams, place an appropriate amount (usually ~1/4 teaspoon) in the center of the bowl. Soak your brush. Partial (small) flick of the wrist. Swirl your wet brush around in the bowl until your lather is the consistency of yogurt.

Full attribution: This is taken from the 'Marco Method' originally posted here:

My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-lathering-technique-with-italian-soft-soaps.199887/

I modified it slightly to suit my preferences.

Hope this helps. :)
I don't have CC copper bowl, but I do have a scuttle. I'll give this a try! Thank you 😎

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 217 for 217 = 100%
shave 20210805_095335_2.jpg

Razor: PAA Copper DOC Ascension
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (1)
Brush: Simpson Tulip T3 in Super Badger
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze

First shave with the (very nice looking) PAA Copper Ascension. Paired it with the always excellent Personna Israeli Platinum Red. The Ascension is, from what I read, a 'twist to adjust' adjustable razor. For the first shave, and in honor of Mild/Medium Efficiency August, I chose the mildest setting - snugged all the way down.

Interesting.....the PAA Copper Ascension does not appear to be comfortable with an extremely steep angle. The teeth on the bottom comb feel sharp against my skin. Backed off to a more neutral angle and proceeded with the shave. With the angle dialed in and the setting at mildest, the shave is, as you might surmise, fairly mild. The blade is curved and rigidly held in place. Blade chatter is kept to a minimum. Took four passes plus touchups to get to a DFS. No blood or irritation. Commendable first impression. More shaves are needed to better dial in where the Copper Ascension resides in my razor hierarchy. :thumbup:
hardware 20210805_095424_2.jpg

The Simpson Tulip T3 in Super Badger is a great brush. Sure makes a nice lather with the SV Dolomiti and Captain's Choice Copper Bowl. The Tulip T3 has reasonable backbone. A little bit of scrub. Nice soft tips. No bad "scritch" at all. :thumbup:
software 20210805_095514_2.jpg

Same soap (Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti) and balm (Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid) as yesterday. Really like this combination - works wonderfully. The Bootlegger's Green Freeze is awesome on a hot summer day. Clean and refreshing! Skin feels great! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 218 for 218 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Synthetic Summer
20210806_151146~2.jpg

Blade: Bolzano (4)
Bowl: None - Face Lathered
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

20210806_151346~2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I reach for almost every Friday. Face lathered today and I am pleased to report that the EVO performed wonderfully. :thumbup:

Same soap (Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti) and balm (Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid) as yesterday. Really like this combination - works wonderfully. :thumbup:
20210806_151502~2.jpg

The Pinaud Clubman Aftershave is a classic barbershop scent. Clean and refreshing! Skin feels great! :thumbup:

Top Bottom