What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Pictures that @Cal posted of his Gillette 1945 #26 EFB Tech prompted me to go through my various EFB Techs. I was pretty darn sure (it was the handle I remembered) that there was a #26 EFB Tech in there somewhere.

And what do you know! Regular Gillette EFB Tech on the left, Gillette #26 EFB Tech on the right:
20230104_082405~2.jpg
20230104_082425~2.jpg
20230104_082532~2.jpg

As @Cal noted, the head on the #26 is different.

So....the Gillette #26 EFB Tech is on tap for today. I'll be using one of the wonderful @Rosseforp GTx 25g handles and a Kai blade.

Thanks to @Cal for your description and pics of this very cool razor! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 4 of 4 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 3 of 4 = 75%
Tech Tuesday on Wednesday
20230104_113044~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette #26 English Flat Bottom Tech (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai (4 and retired)
20230104_113044~5.jpg

20230104_113044~4.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey Lemondrop (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Canada Shave Soap
20230103_111323~2.jpg

Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine Aftershave
Fragrance: Lattafa Perfumes 24 Carat EdP Spray

Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (applied at bedtime)

Saw @Cal's writeup of the Gillette #26 English Flat Bottom Tech some time back and remembered having an EFB Tech with that same handle. Finally found it and, yes, the head is different from my other EFB Techs. Used a Kai blade and one of Doug's GTx 25g handles. I'm a bit perplexed. The shave was not as smooth as my regular EFB Tech. I don't think the issue was with the razor, but rather with the Kai blade. Felt rough and tugged. According to my records, this was only the 4th, 4-pass (equivalent) shave on this blade and the previous shaves were great. Should have had at least one more shave after this Kai. Odd results from one of my longtime Tech/Blade combinations. The #26 EFB Tech is slightly different. Maybe the Kai and the #26 EFB Tech don't match up? Think I'll try a different (Feather? Perma-Sharp? Personna Israeli Platinum Red? Something else?) blade with the #26 for Thursday's shave. Hmmmmm.....Maybe I'll dig one of the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum blades out of my stash and give it a try.

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the wonderful Rudy Vey Lemondrop + Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan. Another world class combination!

Stayed with the Lattafa Perfumes 24 Carat EdP Spray Fragrance. Very nice scent that will remain in my fragrances rotation.

Plenty of notes throughout my Journal regarding Canada Shave Soap (now resides in my Top Tier of soaps) and Floïd The Genuine Aftershave. Outstanding shaving software!

A bit of a rough ride, but ended up with a decent DFS shave! :cool:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Saw @Cal's writeup of the Gillette #26 English Flat Bottom Tech some time back and remembered having an EFB Tech with that same handle. Finally found it and, yes, the head is different from my other EFB Techs. Used a Kai blade and one of Doug's GTx 25g handles. I'm a bit perplexed. The shave was not as smooth as my regular EFB Tech. I don't think the issue was with the razor, but rather with the Kai blade. Felt rough and tugged. According to my records, this was only the 4th, 4-pass (equivalent) shave on this blade and the previous shaves were great. Should have had at least one more shave after this Kai. Odd results from one of my longtime Tech/Blade combinations. The #26 EFB Tech is slightly different. Maybe the Kai and the #26 EFB Tech don't match up? Think I'll try a different (Feather? Perma-Sharp? Personna Israeli Platinum Red? Something else?) blade with the #26 for Thursday's shave. Hmmmmm.....Maybe I'll dig one of the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum blades out of my stash and give it a try.
I believe @Cal attributed the groove below the guard on the #26 to the difference in shave results. There is no groove on the regular EFBT.

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Think I'll try a different (Feather? Perma-Sharp? Personna Israeli Platinum Red? Something else?) blade with the #26 for Thursday's shave. Hmmmmm.....Maybe I'll dig one of the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum blades out of my stash and give it a try.
So into the blade stash I ventured when we got home this evening! Like Christmas all over again. ;)

Going with a Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum. Loaded in the Gillette #26 English Flat Bottom Tech and ready to rumble for Thursday's shave! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 5 of 5 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 4 of 5 = 80%
20230105_071637~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette #26 English Flat Bottom Tech (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (1)
20230105_071637~4.jpg

20230105_071637~3.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey Persian Jar (Shavemac 24mm Finest)

20230105_071524~2.jpg

For today's shave with the Gillette #26 English Flat Bottom Tech I used a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum and Doug’s GTS 25g handle. Went with my modified 3-Pass plus Touchups process. Smoother than yesterday's shave. Less tugging. Still pondering where the #26 EFB Tech sits in relation with my other Top Tier Techs.

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the Rudy Vey Persian Jar. A wonderful brush. The handle feels great in hand and the Shavemac 24mm Finest is an excellent knot!

Plenty of notes throughout my Journal regarding Canada Shave Soap (now resides in my Top Tier of soaps), Floïd The Genuine Aftershave and, most recently, Lattafa Perfumes 24 Carat EdP Spray Fragrance (which has now joined my Fragrances rotation). Outstanding shaving software!

A very nice DFS shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 6 of 6 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 5 of 6 = 83%
20230106_151141~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2)
20230106_151141~4.jpg

20230106_151141~3.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)

20230106_151219~2.jpg

For today's shave, I wanted to set a baseline for the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blade and decided to pair it with a razor that is extremely well known to me - the Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech. Doug’s GTS 25g handle remains as a constant. Went with my modified 3-Pass plus Touchups process. The Canadian Pre-War Tech is second only to the English Tech/NEW Hybrid in my personal Top Tier Techs ranking. It is a silly good razor and one of my personal favorites. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blade is a very good match. As good as a Feather in the Canadian Pre-War Tech? That remains to be seen. Need more data. This sure was a wonderful shave!

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the Marbled Butterscotch with Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan. Excellent handle - very easy to grip. Excellent knot. Excellent brush!

Plenty of notes throughout my Journal regarding Canada Shave Soap (now resides in my Top Tier of soaps), Floïd The Genuine Aftershave and, most recently, Lattafa Perfumes 24 Carat EdP Spray Fragrance (which has now joined my Fragrances rotation). Outstanding shaving software!

Superb DFS+ shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 7 of 7 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 6 of 7 = 86%
20230107_155307~2.jpg

Razor: Rocnel Sailor
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (3)
20230107_155240~2.jpg

20230107_155307~3.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)

20230107_155341~2.jpg

Decided to drive the Rocnel Sailor today. Set the dial between numbers IV and V. Enjoyed an efficient, smooth and predictable shave. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum was a good match. An elegant and effective shave!

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the Rudy Vey Zebra Stripe which sports the Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan. One of my favorite Rudy Vey handles - very comfortable. Excellent brush!

Please refer to the various notes in my Journal regarding Canada Shave Soap, Floïd The Genuine Aftershave and Lattafa Perfumes 24 Carat EdP Spray Fragrance. Outstanding shaving software!

Superb DFS+ shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 8 of 8 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 7 of 8 = 86%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
20230108_180230~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird Lite (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4)
20230108_180230~4.jpg

20230108_180230~3.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey "The Favorite" (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)

Lather: Stirling Electric Sheep
20230108_180301~2.jpg

Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

Tried the Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird Lite baseplate today. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum and Doug’s GTC 25g handle round out the razor side of the equation. The Lite plate definitely has less blade feel. It prefers a more neutral to shallow angle to optimize efficiency. Personally, I like the blade feel (and the efficiency) of the original Blackbird plate but, if you don't, the Lite plate will fill the bill.

Rocking BADGERary 2023 with Rudy Vey's "The Favorite" with the wonderful Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan. Nice handle. Very comfortable. Excellent brush!

This week's software includes Stirling Electric Sheep Soap, Bootlegger's El Dorado Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray Fragrance. I hold all three in high regard. Outstanding shaving software!

Excellent DFS shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 9 of 9 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 8 of 9 = 89%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
20230109_165221~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (5)
20230109_165221~3.jpg

20230109_165221~4.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Group Buy (Shavemac 22mm 2-Band Silvertip)

Lather: Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap
20230109_165245~2.jpg

Back to my Alpha Big Dog DE Razor: the Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird. Have been curious to see how the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blade matches up with the Ti Blackbird. Excellent first impression. Need more shaves to form a definitive opinion. In any event, this was an awesome Top Tier shave!

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Group Buy (Shavemac 22mm 2-Band Silvertip). Excellent brush!

Switched out the soap in this week's software to Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap. Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap is really quite good. I blame @Cal for the order I just placed. ;) 😊 🤣

Staying with Bootlegger's El Dorado Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray Fragrance. Outstanding shaving software!

Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:

Last edited:
This is good to hear about the Lite plate, I held off when it was on sale initially. I still hold the opinion that if he had it sooner, it would have brought more people, including me, to the Blackbird. I am still thinking about the OC plate for my Ti, but I don't know what it would bring to the table for me other than adding to the collection?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is good to hear about the Lite plate, I held off when it was on sale initially. I still hold the opinion that if he had it sooner, it would have brought more people, including me, to the Blackbird. I am still thinking about the OC plate for my Ti, but I don't know what it would bring to the table for me other than adding to the collection?

To me, the reduced blade feel of the Lite plate is paid for with a slight reduction in efficiency.

I like the amount of blade feel provided by the standard Blackbird SB plates, so I probably won't reach for the Lite plate too often.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 10 of 10 = 100%
BADGERary 2023: 9 of 10 = 90%
Blackland Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
20230110_105402~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (1)
20230110_105527~2.jpg

Brush: Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 26mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot) 🇮🇹

Lather: Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap
20230110_105424~2.jpg

Today, I reached for my Alpha Big Dog AC and Overall Razor: the Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB. Paired with a fresh Schick Proline P blade and the wonderful GTC 25g Handle, this was an outstanding Top Tier shave. High marks on all of my personal shaving attributes: Efficient, Nimble & Maneuverable, Smooth and Predictable = a Highly Effective razor. As good as it gets!

Continuing BADGERary 2023 with the beautiful Saponificio Varesino, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood brush. The SV brush checks all the right boxes!

Staying with Clubman Shave Soap, Bootlegger's El Dorado Aftershave and Belcam Volatile EdT Spray Fragrance this week. Outstanding shaving software!

Superb Top Tier DFS++ shave! :cool:

Top Bottom