What's new

Never-Shed brush problem

What to do about this situation?? I finally took the knot out of this really old brush to put in a new knot and right in the middle of it is this metal screw that is covered in this super-hard material. I can't figure out what to do unless I make a hole in the bottom of my knot so that the knot base will rest on the floor of this brush head. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

1641709064011.jpeg

1641710136066.jpeg

I would suggest grinding the head off of that screw. You risk having the wood part separate from the metal part, but you should be able to epoxy them back together if it does come apart. Use a flat stone on a Dremel type tool.

I would suggest grinding the head off of that screw. You risk having the wood part separate from the metal part, but you should be able to epoxy them back together if it does come apart. Use a flat stone on a Dremel type tool.
Thanks for the suggestion... I'll try it.

I have fixed the problem with the screw in the head and it's ready to add a knot, however, I'm trying to figure out what to do regarding the coloration of the handle. All the old "Never Shed" brushes I've seen are painted black and it appears that this one was also painted black. Over the years, the paint was worn off and left the dark color on the wood except for a couple of the more heavily used parts where all the dark color was worn off. I'm not a wood-worker, so I'm hoping that others will give me suggestions about what to do regarding this situation. Thanks for any ideas.

I would look for a black wood stain rather than paint. Actually the current patina looks pretty good so you might consider putting a clear varethane over it for protection and preservation. Even if you do stain it a varethane top coat would be beneficial.

I would look for a black wood stain rather than paint. Actually the current patina looks pretty good so you might consider putting a clear varethane over it for protection and preservation. Even if you do stain it a varethane top coat would be beneficial.
Interesting... I've also wondered about leaving the current patina on it as I think it looks pretty neat. Just can't visualize whether it would look better that way or taking off the dark pigment and making it all one color. Thanks for your input... any thoughts from others?

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Screenshot 2022-02-08 181757.png

it's been years since I did it but this one on amazon looks like what I bought
Interesting. I tried looking up wood dye on the internet and got a plethora of different products, most of which obviously weren't wood dyes. Where do you buy these and what brands, etc? Interested in looking at this option either for this or another wooden brush I ha

Top Bottom