What's new

"Never judge a razor on its first outing"

There's a reason the title of this thread is in quotes. Because I did not say it.

Few days ago, I wrote about returning a razor to the manufacturer after one shave,
because I decided it was not for me.

Instantly, a few keyboard contrarians jumped in.

Surely, you're being impatient.

You haven't given it enough time.

What arrogance, said one fellow with an avatar featuring Chewbacca,
and a demeanour that matched the hirsute one.

Do you have experience with DE razors, one chimed in bravely.

How experienced are you, another opined.

Give it time, you haven't used the right shaving angle.

And so on....

I gather from these statements that there is a school of thought which maintains that
if a razor did not work for you and you spotted it right away, it must be your fault
and you know nothing about using one.

THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE AND I'M STARTING THS THREAD TO COUNTER THIS NOTION.

I've never encountered a razor that disappointed me on first shave, and then miraculously
started to delight me as I continued to use it more and more.

Conversely, every razor that I've loved impressed me right from the first go...and continued to
improve as I used it.

I am sure others think differently but this is my opinion.

Share your thoughts, please.

I've never encountered a razor that disappointed me on first shave, and then miraculously
started to delight me as I continued to use it more and more.

Conversely, every razor that I've loved impressed me right from the first go...and continued to
improve as I used it.
I think this is completely true for any experienced wet shaver.

For a beginner it might be different: in the beginning I liked better aggressive razors, now many years later I prefer ultra mild razors (and I still get close shaves with the ultra mild ones). In the past I simply had not enough of skills to shave close with a mild one. Thus if one is a complete newbie it might be good to keep the razor for a bit longer as your skills and tastes are developing.

I have reached the skill level where your claim is completely true for me.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
My luck is very good, all the razors I bought have gained my love; from the mild "as-d2" to the blade-like "rex ambassador", they all worked for me the first time.

Some razors gave me more skin irritation at first, but with the re-rotation and improvement of skills, I did find that it became more comfortable for me and washed away possible regrets.

Of course, we also understand that "some razors are not suitable for some people"──for example, pils has a proud personality / r41 is not suitable for sensitive skin / as-d2 is needed more attention to the angle...Shaving is very personal, and it is true that not all reasons point to technique.

They may not be purely selfishly accusing someone of technology, or they may just hope that razors will have a chance to get more love.

Oh, the dogmatic shavers! Preaching their opinion as something objective and the single truth.

You should see the Straight Razor boards… it’s a lot worse there

it’s a subjective hobby; and that’s probably what makes it so interesting

For me, I have experienced all kinds of situations. Products that worked well but I ended up selling (don’t ask me why!), some that didn’t work initially but then I fell in love with, and others that never worked at all

For example, It’s kind of funny that my Chubby 1 Super Badger is my absolute favorite shaving brush and happens to be my second specimen… I once bought and sold one, can’t remember why… but I’m glad I bought it again

Last edited:
Interesting concept!

The point is that you already know what makes you happy! (And that’s a good thing.)

I am very similar. I can ‘learn’ to shave with most any kit. But I prefer DEs in the ‘mild/moderate’ range. I have tried, then PIFd more aggressive razors that looked pretty or had good reviews because I could never get the confident, comfortable shaves that I prefer.

My strong impression is that this situation is very different for folks who are just starting with this hobby.

:a29: :a29:

Oh, the dogmatic shavers! Preaching their opinion as something objective and the single truth.

Reply deleted....I misunderstood the post quoted.

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Been mulling this over today. My first impressions of razors have been spot-on. Recently bought a Razorock Game Changer, Lupo, and Mamba. Loved the GC & Lupo from the start, but couldn't master the Mamba technique. Still can't. No doubt a wonderful razor for some, but from day-one the Mamba wasn't for me.

My failure to adjust isn't limited to razors. Daily driver is a 2006 manual Honda Accord. Love the car. We also own a newer Honda with push-button everything: ignition, emergency brake, transmission, Homelink, seat warmer, windows, locks, sunroof, ejection seat, Trunk Monkey, and some "Avengers"-logoed button that must be pressed so the engine won't shut down at stop lights. The phone must be plugged into the mainframe before engaging the transmission, otherwise Apple Play won't work. I call this vehicle our Apollo 13 LEM, because there is a sequence the buttons must be pushed or the system will overload and the planet fall out of orbit. I'll take my 15-year-old Accord any day over the newer van.

Back to shaving. Eventually, I will thin my "Island of Misfit" razors via B&B PIFs or maybe a big BST trade. I do not like returning things unless a defect, misrepresentation, or some agreed upon formal testing/trial period exists. No judgement of anyone else - it's just the way I am.

When "original" Tabac arrived in non-tallow form, I immediately requested a return through my HUGE online retailer, because it wasn't the "original." This retailer named for a southern hemisphere river credited my account and told me to keep the puck. I grew up "Catholic Light," which meant major guilt set in. A reputable 3rd-party vendor was likely eating the whole cost. Were they even aware the formula changed? I used the Tabac non-tallow once, posted my impressions on B&B, then grated it with other orphaned pucks. Ever since, just glancing at this Frankensoap causes guilt pangs.

So, in summary:
  • My first impressions are genuine and a reflection of my own personal preferences.
  • For items I deem not for me, I'd rather pass them along than deal with the inevitable guilt.
  • Manual transmissions good, automatics bad.
  • The answer to life, the universe and everything is 42.

it’s a subjective hobby; and that’s probably what makes it so interesting

i saw this was a topic of a reply. Not to go too off topic, can you clarify what was meant? Is the straights area more worse in saying give it time for something?

i feel like the wetshaving community embraces certain aspects well and others not so much. But I think you can either fixate on something or completely let it go unchecked and move on

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bought a Fatboy *giggle* a few years ago that I basically stole for $15 at an antique store while on vacation.

Meh. It's okay, but honestly, I wasn't impressed. To paraphrase @Messygoon : the answer to every Fatboy *giggle* is "4".... Once you have dialed it in, why change the setting?

@KeenDogg : I'm going to auction that thing off in the Saint Sue Memorial fund raiser, so DO NOT LET ME FORGET! My intent was for last year, but my Swiss Cheese brain forgot. ALSO: ask @Toothpick , I am worthless at posting pictures in the auction; I'll need your help. Heck, I may even take a soft toothbrush to that thing!

Carry on, all!

While I defend your (anyone's) right to be fickle, absolutely no questions asked, I do think you acted hastily. Especially if you were serious in considering the razor. Perhaps it was only out of curiosity. Only you can know that. Given the many factors that can and do effect evaluating a razor (not the least of which is operator error), I cannot believe a fair assessment was made with just one use. Unless, of course, that one use was more egregious than anyone can imagine. You weren't injured were you? Suit yourself certainly, no explanation necessary. That you would bring the subject up here might suggest that you are either looking for affirmation, or that you feel guilty about your decision.

i saw this was a topic of a reply. Not to go too off topic, can you clarify what was meant? Is the straights area more worse in saying give it time for something?

i feel like the wetshaving community embraces certain aspects well and others not so much. But I think you can either fixate on something or completely let it go unchecked and move on
Not to be too much off topic, but I stopped participating in the straight razor boards because some folks there push their own approach and opinions too hard on the new comers. SR shaving can be overwhelming for beginners, but trial and error and experimenting are beneficial and part of the journey, IMO. I don’t agree with the dogmatic approach from some members over there.

Not to be too much off topic, but I stopped participating in the straight razor boards because some folks there push their own approach and opinions too hard on the new comers. SR shaving can be overwhelming for beginners, but trial and error and experimenting are beneficial and part of the journey, IMO. I don’t agree with the dogmatic approach from some members over there.

I know what you mean now...groupthink can be a very annoying thing.
I don't let it get to me one bit.
I have shaved long enough and know my way intuitively across any
razor right from when I first pick it up. I don't need tutorials to find an angle,
find the right soap or the right blade....a good razor shines regardless.

Usually if it’s good from the first shave I have a keeper. If it cuts up my face first time I might give it a couple of shaves even try some blades (I tend to start with gsb). And if it then still is not my thing I flog it or give it away.

I know what you mean now...groupthink can be a very annoying thing.
I don't let it get to me one bit.
I have shaved long enough and know my way intimately across any
razor right from when I first pick it up. I don't need tutorials to find an angle,
find the right soap or the right blade....a good razor shines regardless.

Exactly… it’s important to form your own opinions and learn to think for yourself.

I’ve spent a lot of money following forum’s consensus only to find my preferences were different… Most here like 2-band badger, I prefer 3-band. Many like aggressive razors, my skin disagrees with them. Using aftershave balm was probably the biggest mistake I have made in my journey, etc.. the list goes on

Top Bottom