What's new

Never Heard Of Brylcreem?

I went to the barber shop this morning for my regular trim. My usual barber was out sick today. I almost decided to just leave and come back when he's there but I figured what the heck, I'd go ahead and let the lady who was working do it.

She did a nice job although not quite as good as my usual guy does. During the haircut she asked if I would like any gel on my hair. I told her no, that I use Brylcreem and since I know they don't use it there just a bit of lilac tonic would do.

When I mentioned the Brylcreem she said she had never heard of it. I couldn't believe my ears. She actually asked the other barber if he had heard of it. Of course he had. He said his grandfather had used it LOL.

I just couldn't believe someone working in the hair care industry had never heard of Brylcreem, even if she was a bit young. I guess some of us are a dying breed.

Count me in as a fan. I also use Jockey Club brilliatine (Sp?). Old school perhaps but it works well for me.

There's a barbershop in Chicago, which will remain nameless, that has the look and feel of an "old-school" barbershop, including Pinaud AS and hair tonics on the shelves. (FOR SHOW)

The gal cutting my hair scoffed when I asked if they use the tonics :confused:

TraderJoe said:
There's a barbershop in Chicago, which will remain nameless, that has the look and feel of an "old-school" barbershop, including Pinaud AS and hair tonics on the shelves. (FOR SHOW)

The gal cutting my hair scoffed when I asked if they use the tonics :confused:
Yeah it's hard to find a good old school barber shop these days.

Uh, am I dating myself?
I can still hear the commercial jingle - broadcast in Black and White;

"Brylcream, a little dab will do ya... "
Sue

Brylcreem is one of the few hair products that I've continually had in my bathroom and used for years. Excellent stuff!

Actually, when I was younger I always had my eye on Yardley Lavender Brilliantine but could never overcome my homophobic fear of lavender scents. How things change! Has anyone had experience of the Yardley?

Jonnybc said:
Brylcreem is one of the few hair products that I've continually had in my bathroom and used for years. Excellent stuff!

Actually, when I was younger I always had my eye on Yardley Lavender Brilliantine but could never overcome my homophobic fear of lavender scents. How things change! Has anyone had experience of the Yardley?
I quit using Brylcreem in favor of trying the new products but after a few years of never finding something that worked well without making my hair stiff, I went back to the tried and true.

Never tried the Yardley.

Recent convert here !!

Brylcreem is EVERYTHING I have to have in a hair "product".
Leaves my hair manageable with a slight sheen and is not greasy....

unless you are going for that look.
In which case 2 dabs'll do ya !!

Happy Happy ...Joy Joy !!

I use both the Yardley and brylcreem classic. Both are great products: brylcreem for daily use and yardley for an evening out. I adore the glass jar the Yardley comes in: so classy and pleasantly oldfashioned. And the green colour is nice as well. :smile:
(BTW, there is absolutely nothing gay about lavender scents IMO. Somehow it's a good combo with a manly sandalwood cologne.)
(and: a barber that doesn't know Brylcreem should be crucified :cursing: )

Stauff said:
(and: a barber that doesn't know Brylcreem should be crucified :cursing: )
Yeah, it surprised me but she was pretty young and I guess they don't teach these things in barber/beauty school these days.

A BARBER would know - a stylist/hairdresser wouldn't.

Generally, most modern hairdressers don't care about any product they can't sell you at an outrageous mark up.

While I'm definitely not saying that all modern products are crap (I've been using American Crew pomade for years), there's something to be said for the products that have stood the test of time.

In many cases, the difference between Brylcreem and many "modern" products is limited to packaging, scent, marketing and price.

Suzuki said:
In many cases, the difference between Brylcreem and many "modern" products is limited to packaging, scent, marketing and price.
Thanks. I can't say I entirely agree with this. I've tried many of the "modern" products and they all either make the hair really stiff, create flakes, or are very greasy. I haven't yet found one that is quite the same as good old Brylcreem. But I won't pretend to have tried every single one either.

I looked at the AC pomade and was curious but with past experiences I passed on it. Is it greasy? I wear hats and many of the pomades I've seen stain or grease up whatever they touch.

You guys have me interested now, i'm going to have to try some. I think I may already use a similar product, it is a barber product called Booster Lanolin Hair Creme, it does the same thing, mineral oils, etc., that condition your hair and leave it soft. I use a bit of American Crew pomade on my bangs to give hold to a style. I also used to use gel for years, now I love hair creams and pomades. Nancy Boy Lanolin hair cream is good too.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I tried Brylcreem today in the shower (after shampooing, as a conditioner). It worked great.

rustyblade said:
You guys have me interested now, i'm going to have to try some. I think I may already use a similar product, it is a barber product called Booster Lanolin Hair Creme, it does the same thing, mineral oils, etc., that condition your hair and leave it soft. I use a bit of American Crew pomade on my bangs to give hold to a style. I also used to use gel for years, now I love hair creams and pomades. Nancy Boy Lanolin hair cream is good too.
Can't beat the price

MasonM said:
I looked at the AC pomade and was curious but with past experiences I passed on it. Is it greasy? I wear hats and many of the pomades I've seen stain or grease up whatever they touch.

The pomade is a water based product, so shouldn't stain and washes out easily. It also doesn't get crispy and can be re-styled with just a little water on the fingers. Has very good hold and you just need a little bit. In fact, I often rub a bit out on my hands and add a touch of water to thin it before applying.

Top Bottom