What's new

Never an aftershave...is that weird?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ll occasionally use a splash, but never on my face. Shoulders and chest (unshaven) used sparingly. I like some extra scent when the mood strikes me. I agree with the OP about letting the ingredients of quality soaps do their thing. I had a brief dalliance with witch hazel, but Mrs. Raven put an end to that.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Yup, I don't use them at all. I've tried alum off and on for years and it's only dried my skin out. Splashes usually burn and I then need to apply a balm after that.

The soaps and creams I tend to use on my face most often are pretty moisturizing. MWF, Kiss my Face Unscented SC, any olive oil based soap, etc. I feel like they do a good enough job without adding more stuff over it. I'm not exactly against fragrances but most of my favorite soaps are unscented or scented with a plain soapy type of scent.

On the occasional winter day I may rub on some Aveeno lotion or put some natural beard balm on but haven't used an AS splash in many years.

Anyone else in this same boat or am I the odd man out?

WOW, my life would be more boring that it already is, if I didn't have all these wonderful scents to try out. My face is bored when I don't slap on some lovely smelling aftershave, I can tell you that much. My skin feels better with aftershave on it too, aftershave just really compliments the end of a shave. I also use alum block after every shave, I learned to do that from the Youtubers and never stopped since.

As far as facial dry out, yes, a balm will always solve that problem, thats what they are there for. I have several aftershave balms, but not as many as I have splashes. My latest balm acquisition, was none other then, the Duke Cannon Ice Cold aftershave. Thats some pretty good stuff, wrote a review on it infact. Nothing soothes the skin better then a good balm with menthol at your side.

Even back when I was a teenager, and my dad taught me cartridge razor shaving back then, he taught me to always follow it up with aftershave, its just what you do. But one thing I've noticed from watching Youtube, is a lot of people apply aftershave wrong, by slapping it on their face, cause they saw Kevin Mcalister do that, followed by the famous scream, that instantly became a meme.

If you actually follow the recommended instructions on how to apply aftershave, you should rub it into your skin for 30-seconds, this will allow your skin to gain the full benefit of the aftershave.

I’ll occasionally use a splash, but never on my face. Shoulders and chest (unshaven) used sparingly. I like some extra scent when the mood strikes me. I agree with the OP about letting the ingredients of quality soaps do their thing. I had a brief dalliance with witch hazel, but Mrs. Raven put an end to that.
Thanks for backing me up on the soap part. It was MWF that made me realize how nice the post-shave feel was many years ago. Adding alum to my face afterwards was just a waste of alum and the lanolin in the soap. That soap right there made me realize that not all soaps were drying and that you needed to add extra stuff to your skin post shave. I look for that same feeling in every new soap or cream I try now.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I am with you.
I have never used any after shave products. Except for the occasional aluminum check when just using a new blade.

It wasn't until May of this year that my wife gave me a bottle of 4711 as a wedding anniversary gift before I started using it to express my gratitude to my wife for her love.
But I still don't feel like it's really necessary, and after running out of 4711, I'll still go back to using cold water to tighten my skin, unless my wife buys a new product.

I would prefer to keep the money so my wife can use some of her favorite perfume.

I never used aftershave until picking up DE shaving then running into this forum. Never really thought about it. I did use sunscreen. However, nowadays I enjoy the fragrance of some aftershaves and find it an affordable luxury. Not necessary though.

AS is not necessary IMO. I use it most of the time as I like it and have tons of them, but when in a rush, I don’t bother. My face hasn’t fell off yet!

Thayers witch hazel is a great alternative for keeping your skin soft and purdy though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
AS is not necessary IMO. I use it most of the time as I like it and have tons of them, but when in a rush, I don’t bother. My face hasn’t fell off yet!

Thayers witch hazel is a great alternative for keeping your skin soft and purdy though.
"Yet" being the operative werd, my friend!

I attribute the use of aftershave to my face being incredibly handsome after all these years.

True story doggone.

Work had been going just fine for me up until the title of this thread was posted. Now... well, it hasn't been easy ever since. What a turn around it has been.

The First Mate snapped a pic of me the other day:

homeless-beggar-man-standing-outdoors-park-holding-bag-cardboard-sign-portrait-homeless-beggar...jpg

You probably are in the 1% of this forum but I'd guess most regular people don't use aftershave splashes. I use to not use them very often, man I missing out. I enjoy aftershave the most now, all the great scents and it just really completes the shave to me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Work had been going just fine for me up until the title of this thread was posted. Now... well, it hasn't been easy ever since. What a turn around it has been.

The First Mate snapped a pic of me the other day:

View attachment 1541170
I use aftershave too much! I put it on my upper lip at bedtime so the CPAP machine blows it in my nose!

Yeah, before you ask, the War Department is convinced I'm nuts.

I rarely use an aftershave. I throw on some Polo Blue if I want smell good for the wife. I should probably explore some for skin care purposes. I don't really care to impress anyone with a smell, ha!

Top Bottom