What's new

Netflix Widget

Dad watches Netflix on an Amazon FireStick occasionally. The majority of the time is spent turning it off and on again or trying to get it to connect to the wifi. My days of fighting a FireStick must come to an end shortly.

Any ideas for a reliable Netflix device?

Wondering if a ps3 or xbox 360 may be a better option in terms of solid hardware than some little ARM chip crammed into a usb stick.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Roku is pretty good. Dumb name.
I'm on the verge of getting a fire stick. You made me rethink that.

As cheap as they were, I have 3 ps3's. They went into the under $200 bracket and so I grabbed them up so bluray and Internet viewing apps like Amazon prime Hulu and Netflix. I think they've stopped selling the PS3 but the ps4 should be in a solid price point by now.

The $20 remote is a must!

Also smart tvs are so cheap these days might be worth doing that and upgrading your tv and getting incorporated Netflix and other apps that are integrated into one remote.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Roku is pretty good. Dumb name.
I'm on the verge of getting a fire stick. You made me rethink that.
I haven’t had one issue with my Fire Stick. The only time I have had problems was because of my WiFi router, which affected every device.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I haven’t had one issue with my Fire Stick. The only time I have had problems was because of my WiFi router, which affected every device.
I also like the adapter that you can plug the fire stick into the usb plug on the tv so you dont have to have another power cord.

am I missing something? My netflix app is on my television. I just press my home button and it goes to a list with netflix, hulu, crackle, pluto and a bunch of others.

I now watch it through the FiOS receiver, and the speed is top notch compared to before when it was just wi-fi through my television.

Well, look who has a new fancy TV!!!!

J/K. Some TVs have the apps, some players have the apps. For those who don't there are other options.
is that what it is? Ever since turntables went out I'm not an expert on entertainment technology. I sold televisions back in the early 1980's when the cabinet was still a selling point. But it was at a store that also sold furniture, refrigerators and washing machines. I can teach you how to program in your channels on your VCR so you can watch one channel and record another.

I'd pick the Roku over the Chromecast. The big plus on the Roku is the physical remote that comes with it. I find that much better to control the Roku compared to a phone or tablet (I think a regular computer too) to control a Chromecast. I picked up a Chromecast to subscribe to a service that is not on Roku. It was cheap so what the heck. Well, I was disappointed with the video service and discontinued it. I could watch Netflix, Youtube etc on the Chromecast if I wanted to, but I always go for the Roku. But everyone is different, and some people might prefer the app on the phone to control a streamer. (Roku does have a phone app too, but I don't bother with it.)

My wife's been having problems with Netflix and the Firestick lately, including having to re-enter Netflix account information occasionally. Not sure if the problem is Netflix, Firestick or me wife. My tv has a Netflix app, but Firestick is better because we also have Prime and Acorn TV thru Amazon.

I've had absolutely no problem with my Firestick since I got it a couple of months ago. However, I don't watch Netflix.

I mostly watch Netflix/Prime through our gen 2 AppleTV, but my wife uses our Firestick for SlingTV, and some Prime. We've only had the Firestick for about month, but haven't had any issues with it, yet.

Are you sure it's the Firestick and not your wifi?

Top Bottom