What's new

Nessmuk

Legion

Staff member
I’ve been reading Woodcraft and Camping by George W Sears, better known as Nessmuk.

Of course that meant that I decided I “needed” a Nessmuk style bush knife.

Rather than buy one, and there are plenty out there by different makers, I thought I’d modify myself one. The most accurate blade to the style he would have had access to is currently made by Ontario, in their Old Hickory line. These inexpensive carbon knives are pretty similar to the trade knives that would have been carried back in the day.

To save even more money (us frontiersmen are a thrifty bunch) I found someone selling factory seconds, perfect for chopping and grinding on. I started with their skinning knife, cut down and reshaped the blade and handle, and it’s pretty close to the original.

I know Nessmuks illustration showed his with a stag horn handle, but I think mine is still true to the vibe.

I still have a 7” butchers knife to play with. That might end up a Kephart style.

E365E40F-142F-46AE-974D-E7F793BDEA0A.jpeg
5E9D6803-3834-4DDE-A9E6-BED1E9ECA57D.jpeg

FA95A77F-49D9-40B1-BBBD-C70D1924599D.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
The mod is a great idea! 👍

Nessmuk is a very useful design. Have the Condor and a Dan Koster custom.

AA
I think it will be pretty handy once I make a sheath. The mod isn’t my idea, I’ve seen it done before.

In fact, from the shape and description of Nessmuk’s own knife, I’d bet the original was made from a trade skinning knife blade, in much the same way.

Legion

Staff member
I made a simple sheath, and it’s ready to go.

went with a neck sheath, mainly because I just watched Last of the Mohicans, and that is what most of the Native American chaps were using, and I thought it looked cool, but with Chicago screws I could quickly attach a belt loop, or put it directly on my possibles bag like Nessmuk did.

7AA3F928-C459-41B4-9552-A936917D68D9.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I made a simple sheath, and it’s ready to go.

went with a neck sheath, mainly because I just watched Last of the Mohicans, and that is what most of the Native American chaps were using, and I thought it looked cool, but with Chicago screws I could quickly attach a belt loop, or put it directly on my possibles bag like Nessmuk did.

View attachment 1276005

It's nice work, David.

Can double as a dangler-style sheath, too.

Have to break out my Condor Nessie.

AA

Legion

Staff member
I remember the old hickory knives from when I was a kid. They weren't fancy, but they were pretty good knives.
Yeah. They remind me of Gold Dollar straight razors. The grinding and finish is a bit dodgy, but the steel is fine. And they are cheap enough to grind on, modify, and make stuff out of.

Top Bottom