What's new

Nespresso

I recently purchased a Nespresso espresso maker and my wife and I are enjoying it greatly. Some of the purists among us are probably screaming "sacrilege", but each to his own. I'm very impressed with the speed of coffee delivery: Yesterday I placed an order on-line at 9.00 am and this morning it was on my doorstep, costing me only $5.96 for delivery. I find the quality of the espresso excellent as well, but there is one thing I'd like and that is to have it hotter. The espresso comes out hot, but not piping hot. Is there a way to get it hotter?

Best espresso:

!. Get an italian espresso maker, like this one

proxy.php

2. Buy a pound of Cafe Bustelo espresso coffee

proxy.php

Now you have the secret !!!:thumbup:

Best espresso:

!. Get an italian espresso maker, like this one

proxy.php

2. Buy a pound of Cafe Bustelo espresso coffee

proxy.php

Now you have the secret !!!:thumbup:

All very well and good, but you haven't answered my question. Is it possible to get it hotter? I don't need advice on taste, etc., just on temperature.

G

Gumby647

I'm not familiar with Nespresso machines but there is probably no easy way to increase the temp but I will offer some tips. For one thing espresso shouldn't be boiling hot if you are used to a drip coffee machine you are probably just used to higher temps. First thing is to let the machine warm up before using it usually 15 mins is enough. If your machine has a cup warmer be sure to use it. Since there is such a small volume of liquid in an espresso shot it cools off quick if your demi is cold. If you can pull a shot through the machine without a pod that can help too since the water will help warm all the brew components and also the cup.

Hope some of that helps you.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Nespresso suggests running a water only shot through the machine anyway. It flushes the piping, and warms it and the cup before the first real (or semi-real...the is a Nespresso after all) shot.

If you own the cheap one as I do it does not pre-measue the shot. You control the water by how long you hold the button down so it is easy to run a good bit of hot water through the works first.

Tony

Gumby 647 & TonyMiller, thanks for the tips; I'll give them a try. When I read them they seemed pretty obvious, but I hadn't thought to run clear water through into a cup before preparing an espresso...duh. Also, I am used to my regular coffee being very hot, so it's probably a case of adjusting to the espresso temperature as well. I've started using a French press for my reuglar coffee and note that it too isn't steaming hot as is my coffee from the drip machine.

I recently purchased a Nespresso espresso maker and my wife and I are enjoying it greatly. Some of the purists among us are probably screaming "sacrilege", but each to his own. I'm very impressed with the speed of coffee delivery: Yesterday I placed an order on-line at 9.00 am and this morning it was on my doorstep, costing me only $5.96 for delivery. I find the quality of the espresso excellent as well, but there is one thing I'd like and that is to have it hotter. The espresso comes out hot, but not piping hot. Is there a way to get it hotter?

Warm the cup. I usually rinse a little water from the machine through the cup first (maybe a couple of times). Espresso cups tend to be thick porcelin so it holds the heat, and cold, very well. Otheriwse most of the heat from your coffee goes to heating the cup first! Hope this helps.

This is not an espresso maker, it's a Mokka pot. Still good though :wink:

FYI

"The Moka pot (or Espresso pot, or Moka Express), is a stovetop espresso maker, based on the principle of preparing coffee with pressurized boiling water. It was invented by Alfonso Bialetti in 1933 and while there are currently many manufacturers, his company Bialetti continues to market the leading model, known by the brand name Moka Express. They are made from aluminium with bakelite handles."

It makes great hot espresso, at a fraction of the cost :thumbup1:

+1 on warming your espresso cups.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are several variables that must be spot on to make the perfect espresso--one of these is water temperature. If the temperature is too hot, you'll come out with a bitter espresso. The Nespresso machines heat the water up to the optimal temperature for making espresso. I can't tell you the number of times I've had espresso made from a self-professed 'master' that is really bitter and just plain godawful.

Some people give Nespresso machines a lot of flack, but they do control all of the variables for you to give you that damn-near perfect cup of smooth espresso with excellent crema, every time. Without any clean-up. It's extremely fast, efficient, and the coffee is fantastic.

I certainly agree that making your own espresso has its charm, and it gives superlative results if you do it correctly. Nespressos are wonderful machines, nonetheless.

+1 on warming your espresso cups.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are several variables that must be spot on to make the perfect espresso--one of these is water temperature. If the temperature is too hot, you'll come out with a bitter espresso. The Nespresso machines heat the water up to the optimal temperature for making espresso. I can't tell you the number of times I've had espresso made from a self-professed 'master' that is really bitter and just plain godawful.

Some people give Nespresso machines a lot of flack, but they do control all of the variables for you to give you that damn-near perfect cup of smooth espresso with excellent crema, every time. Without any clean-up. It's extremely fast, efficient, and the coffee is fantastic.

I certainly agree that making your own espresso has its charm, and it gives superlative results if you do it correctly. Nespressos are wonderful machines, nonetheless.

Thanks very much and your point regarding water temperature is well taken. As concerns the Nespresso machine and the coffee it makes, I agree with you completely. My wife and I struggled for years with all kinds of "real" espresso machines, but we were always disappointed. The Nespresso machine, however, has exceeded our expectations and we are now enjoying espresso, lattes, etc. at home every day. I'm glad to say that I've now found a machine that makes near perfect espresso every time at home.

Rufus
The important thing is that you're satisfied with it.

The definition of a "perfect espresso" is as vague as the definition of a "shave ready" razor.

What's acceptable for you may not be for someone else.

Enjoy your espresso. :thumbup1:

you do know you can refill nespresso cartriges ?

take a box cutter knife and remove the foil from the front part of the cartrige, the part where the machine inserts the injection head in to, empty the coffee insted the cartrige, clean it, put in some decent coffee, press coffee, wrap with tin foil, make sure front is flat and tense, reuse cartrige,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84uwCVYWaF8&NR=1

Top Bottom